Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bag transfers from MN to SQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

bag transfers from MN to SQ

In 2 weeks I'll be flying from Penang to SIN on MH (via KUL). I have a 3 1/2 hour layover in SIN till I get SQ 26 to JFK. Does anyone know if I can check through my bags from Penang to JFK? Or must I collect them in SIN and then check them back in? It would then mean going through customs etc. in SIN.

[This message has been edited by hershelk (edited Feb 05, 2004).]
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sure , no problem. Just show all your tickets at the check-in counter...and they will tag the bags accordingly.

BUT enquiring minds (mine) want to know why not endorse your ticket and take SQ direct from PEN to SIN to connect to your flight?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

BUT enquiring minds (mine) want to know why not endorse your ticket and take SQ direct from PEN to SIN to connect to your flight?[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
The 6 pm direct flight doesn't fly on Wednesdays.
I'll be finished in Penang about 4 pm. Does it pay to sit the 5-6 hours in MH's business lounge in Penang or SQ's in SIN?
The only other direct flight leaves after 9 pm. Even though one hour transfer time should be enough in SIN, I'd rather get there early and not risk a mis-connect.

[This message has been edited by hershelk (edited Feb 05, 2004).]
Old Feb 6, 2004, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hershelk:
BUT enquiring minds (mine) want to know why not endorse your ticket and take SQ direct from PEN to SIN to connect to your flight?</font>
Thanks for the info.
The 6 pm direct flight doesn't fly on Wednesdays.
I'll be finished in Penang about 4 pm. Does it pay to sit the 5-6 hours in MH's business lounge in Penang or SQ's in SIN?
The only other direct flight leaves after 9 pm. Even though one hour transfer time should be enough in SIN, I'd rather get there early and not risk a mis-connect.

[This message has been edited by hershelk (edited Feb 05, 2004).][/B][/QUOTE]

You won't misconnect on SQ. 1 hour is plenty for Changi. It is so inconvenient to have to transfer via KUL. I really don't know why MH decided to axe their direct PEN-SIN service. It's not as if they're losing money on the route.

If I am you, I'd hang around (though not at the airport).. and take the SQ flight.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Guy Betsy perhaps didn't make the point very explicitly, but the SQ lounge at PEN leaves a little to be desired (or at least it did last time I was there...)
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:48 am

ALthough one hour is indeed enough for connections at SIN for your JFK flight - I wonder whether bags will actually make it. On two separate occassions, connecting to SQ's flight to NYC (EWR &JFK) from KUL with just an hour at SIN, not all of my bags appeared at NYC. SOme of my bags did not manage to get on the SIN-JFK/EWR flights. Do they do separate and thorough rescreening of the bags before they go on the NYC-bound flights? Same thing happened to fellow passengers on both my flights from other places like BKK, CGK, Ho Chi Minh etc, with just an hour in connection time at SIN, some or all their bags did not make it - they were left behind at SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.