Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Visualizing a year of Singapore Suites award availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visualizing a year of Singapore Suites award availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vgutkovsky
You mean the A380-800 or 777-300ER?
Nm, stupid question. Hang on a couple hours, I'll generate it for you. Note to everyone else: this is just a one-time thing, not taking other orders :-) Kinda of curious about this route myself though.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Thanks, sorry, i mean or the new suites from SIN-SYDNEY SQ221 / 222, this is one cool chart BTW
The two A380 flights that I see on the SIN-SYD route are 221 and 231. Here's saver availability including both of those:

Much rosier picture than the JFK - FRA route. But the vast majority of this availability is on SQ231. Not sure if that's not as good...? If you're wondering about February, looks like SQ231 is flying on 777 instead of A380 that month for some reason, so was excluded from the above chart. It goes back to the A380 on March 1st.

Here's the picture for just SQ221:

Looks like there's virtually no saver availability on this flight. As of now, they've released availability 9 days in advance and then nothing else for the rest of the year.

Last edited by vgutkovsky; Dec 12, 2017 at 9:33 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:33 pm

That's what i thought, ZERO saver all year long, thanks for the confirmation vgutkovsky
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

That's what i thought, ZERO saver all year long, thanks for the confirmation vgutkovsky
Why not fly on 231? Is it not as good? Except for February, it's an A380, so presumably suites?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:27 pm

it is the old suites, i have flew on it a few times, want to try the new suites lol
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

it is the old suites, i have flew on it a few times, want to try the new suites lol
Well, I don't think the correct conclusion is that there's no saver availability. The chart above paints a pretty clear picture: there's availability, but they open it up late. If I were you, I would run a search for this route every day for the next week to see availability for the day after. As of yesterday's search, the day after yesterday (i.e. today) had non-waitlist availability. If there's non-waitlist availability every time you search, there's a good chance that you'll be able to get it last minute, assuming you don't mind living a little dangerously. I'm assuming you're not local to Singapore, but I'd bet that if you're willing to go there and wait for availability to open up around the time you want to fly, you wouldn't be waiting for more than a couple days. Using that assumption, you can buy your return ticket (from SYD to wherever) assuming a stay in SYD of +- 2 days. Like I said, it's living a little dangerously, but not too much, assuming you run the check every day for the next week or two. Really depends on how badly you want to fly this product IMO.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stephan765
Actually, would you mind sharing that script? If I in turn write anything to parse the files, I'd of course be happy to share it here, too. Thanks!
Visit the link again. I've added all the code as a download at the bottom of page, with detailed instructions. You should be able to use QlikView without any issues, no need to reinvent the wheel. Enjoy.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Well, I don't think the correct conclusion is that there's no saver availability. The chart above paints a pretty clear picture: there's availability, but they open it up late. If I were you, I would run a search for this route every day for the next week to see availability for the day after. As of yesterday's search, the day after yesterday (i.e. today) had non-waitlist availability. If there's non-waitlist availability every time you search, there's a good chance that you'll be able to get it last minute, assuming you don't mind living a little dangerously. I'm assuming you're not local to Singapore, but I'd bet that if you're willing to go there and wait for availability to open up around the time you want to fly, you wouldn't be waiting for more than a couple days. Using that assumption, you can buy your return ticket (from SYD to wherever) assuming a stay in SYD of +- 2 days. Like I said, it's living a little dangerously, but not too much, assuming you run the check every day for the next week or two. Really depends on how badly you want to fly this product IMO.
Actually the new A380 for SQ 221 (and SQ232) with new Suites is only available from 18 December. That's why no availability from that day onwards.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Actually the new A380 for SQ 221 (and SQ232) with new Suites is only available from 18 December. That's why no availability from that day onwards.
Oooooh, that makes sense, thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
good stuff OP
been meaning to try QlikView for a while now (only using BO at work), this might push me to actually start learning
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sandyph
good stuff OP
been meaning to try QlikView for a while now (only using BO at work), this might push me to actually start learning
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:57 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I used to live in SIN for a while and flew that route - SQ221 is more popular with business travelers based on the schedule.
SQ does something similar on other routes, ie SIN-FRA - the more popular time/plane is not/rarely available on saver award, but the less popular time/plane is...
Great visualization btw
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:16 am

Visit the link again. I've added all the code as a download at the bottom of page, with detailed instructions. You should be able to use QlikView without any issues, no need to reinvent the wheel. Enjoy.
this tool of yours looks awesome! thanks a lot for sharing!
though I would like to attempt to modify it for J as well, to maximise my points use.
Would I just add more origins/destinations in the qlikview code under "airports_temp:"?
have changed the imacro to business instead of first.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daft009
this tool of yours looks awesome! thanks a lot for sharing!
though I would like to attempt to modify it for J as well, to maximise my points use.
Would I just add more origins/destinations in the qlikview code under "airports_temp:"?
have changed the imacro to business instead of first.
Correct. You would need to change 3 things for J availability:
  1. In the iMacros code, change line 75 to select Business from the drop-down menu
  2. In the QlikView code script (CTRL+E) under the Combinations tab, add or delete rows under airports_temp in the same format as what's already there, which is 2 comma-separated fields. The first field should be the 3-letter airport code. The second field should be enclosed in double quotes and should match what's in the Singapore site drop-down menu exactly (including capitalization).
  3. In the QlikView code script under the Data tab, you'll need to update line 39. This logic fixes a strange SQ "feature" which is that when first class is not available, the site returns economy class availability (which we obviously don't want when searching for Suites). Fortunately, they at least put up a message that "FIRST CLASS is unavailable" when they do that. This code block searches for that message. I don't know what the message would say if there's no business class availability. Presumably "BUSINESS CLASS is unavailable" but I don't know.
Also, I just noticed a bug in the QlikView app and uploaded a fixed version, so download that.
daft009 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:33 am

Hey, I am not familiar with QlikView and donwloaded the the app onto my desktop QlikView Personal use. However when I click on the link from Singapore Airlines I receive the message that I can only see my own work and do not have access to others. Can someone from this forum explain in details (with screenshots even better) what to do exactly to install to proper software in order to be able to use this great tool. I spent now more than 3 hours to find out how it works, but without any luck. Many thanks for your kind help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.