Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Visualizing a year of Singapore Suites award availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I put together a little project, just for fun. The part about the visualization is always going to useful (I hope), but the data I used for the specific example is best while fresh. It's about 48 hour old at this point. Hope this helps some folks, look forward to hearing from you in the blog comments!

https://www.infinityinsight.com/blog/?p=328

Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
How hard (or easy) is it to pull this dataset? I'm curious if you run a query or need to manually generate the data through the webpage? If a query it is possible to run it daily to give us a fresh indication of availability? (Airlines will hate you)

Great graph btw.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
This is great. Thanks so much for the effort.

That looks really bad for FRA-JFK with no possibility to waitlist at saver levels.
I thought such route they should open as there must be some pax getting off in FRA.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQueeze
This is great. Thanks so much for the effort.

That looks really bad for FRA-JFK with no possibility to waitlist at saver levels.
I thought such route they should open as there must be some pax getting off in FRA.
Hmm well a couple things. First, this is JFK to FRA, not FRA to JFK. And there are plenty of dates with saver waitlist availability. Even a couple with non-waitlist.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidj1
How hard (or easy) is it to pull this dataset? I'm curious if you run a query or need to manually generate the data through the webpage? If a query it is possible to run it daily to give us a fresh indication of availability? (Airlines will hate you)

Great graph btw.
Thanks! There are a few challenges with your suggestion. First, it takes about 2.5 hours to refresh per route, so even if we're only talking about a single route, that's a decent amount of processing time per refresh period. Second, this is built with an application that isn't available to be shared live for free, so I would also need to manually generate screenshots each refresh period, which can get annoying. Third, I don't particularly want the airlines to hate me :-) This was just meant as a cool data viz.

I could share the script that pulls down the 355 offline HTML files, but without a serious ETL tool to parse the files, I don't think this would be particularly useful to anyone. If I'm wrong about that, please lmk.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by vgutkovsky
Thanks! There are a few challenges with your suggestion. First, it takes about 2.5 hours to refresh per route, so even if we're only talking about a single route, that's a decent amount of processing time per refresh period. Second, this is built with an application that isn't available to be shared live for free, so I would also need to manually generate screenshots each refresh period, which can get annoying. Third, I don't particularly want the airlines to hate me :-) This was just meant as a cool data viz.

I could share the script that pulls down the 355 offline HTML files, but without a serious ETL tool to parse the files, I don't think this would be particularly useful to anyone. If I'm wrong about that, please lmk.
Actually, would you mind sharing that script? If I in turn write anything to parse the files, I'd of course be happy to share it here, too. Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Lifetime Gold
@vgutkovsky, super cool visualization. and would be really helpful if it weren't for the overhead you mentioned
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Small data in action.
First - thanks.

Secondly, I understand that you pulled 355 HTML files, but did you have to write a code to a) pull these html files via iMacros and b) process them with QlikView?
I also understand that it required 2.5h to build a picture for whole 330 days ahead. But would it take less time to find only the days where was saver availability?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by raptor112011
@vgutkovsky, super cool visualization. and would be really helpful if it weren't for the overhead you mentioned
Well that overhead is due to the UI-Query to DB->generate result->display via UI->move to next process.

Well, if one had direct access to DB with ability to put the right query...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Well that overhead is due to the UI-Query to DB->generate result->display via UI->move to next process.

Well, if one had direct access to DB with ability to put the right query...
Exactly right. But that would be literally hacking. Not sure if it's technically possible, but definitely illegal.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Small data in action.
First - thanks.

Secondly, I understand that you pulled 355 HTML files, but did you have to write a code to a) pull these html files via iMacros and b) process them with QlikView?
I also understand that it required 2.5h to build a picture for whole 330 days ahead. But would it take less time to find only the days where was saver availability?
The iMacros script runs a loop off a spreadsheet, so you don't have to hardcode the 355 days that you care about. No, wouldn't take any less time to just get saver availability; you don't know what availability a particular day has until you query it, unfortunately.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:20 pm

thanks OP, please do one for saver award
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hondaman82
thanks OP, please do one for saver award
Try clicking the link :-) Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:59 pm

Thanks, sorry, i mean or the new suites from SIN-SYDNEY SQ221 / 222, this is one cool chart BTW
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Thanks, sorry, i mean or the new suites from SIN-SYDNEY SQ221 / 222, this is one cool chart BTW
You mean the A380-800 or 777-300ER?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.