Search

skipping the first flight on SQ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
skipping the first flight on SQ

Hi,

I have booked a SIN-LHR-SIN ticket with Expedia on SQ. It is probably the most restrictive fare.

I now need to miss the first leg due to work commitments, but I still want to keep the return leg.

I read that missing the first leg, will cause all subsequent legs to be cancelled.

How true is that? Any way that I can get to keep my return leg.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
100% true.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only is it true, but it is in the COC and fare rules to which you agreed. Have your employer rebook you.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:48 pm

Can you not just pay the no show fee? I bought a ticket today (business saver) and in the terms and conditions it said there was a no show fee of 200 usd if you wanted to miss a flight but not have the rest of the ticket cancelled. I'm not sure if this no show fee is available on all ticket types.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by Juliet68
Can you not just pay the no show fee?
Life is not that simple.

Originally Posted by Juliet68
I bought a ticket today (business saver) and in the terms and conditions it said there was a no show fee of 200 usd if you wanted to miss a flight but not have the rest of the ticket cancelled. I'm not sure if this no show fee is available on all ticket types.
The no-show fee is charged if you miss your original flight and want to be put on the next available one. It doesn't mean you can skip a segment (like what the OP is planning to do), as that would be a re-price which will make your ticket much more expensive.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Not only is it true, but it is in the COC and fare rules to which you agreed. Have your employer rebook you.
This is good advice! They caused the disruption to your travel plans, so they should cough up for any loss you incurred as a result.

On a sidenote, this is not only SQ's policy; I have yet to hear about any airline that allows skipping the first - or any other segment, for that matter - without automatically invalidating any subsequent segments of a ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
This is good advice! They caused the disruption to your travel plans, so they should cough up for any loss you incurred as a result.

On a sidenote, this is not only SQ's policy; I have yet to hear about any airline that allows skipping the first - or any other segment, for that matter - without automatically invalidating any subsequent segments of a ticket.
For a clarity of some readers on FT, I would suggest replacing invalidating with cancelling.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany

Scoot does, apparently. I haven't tested it
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Scoot does, apparently. I haven't tested it
Yes but Scoot, and many LCCs, plus some legacy carriers domestic (eg QF in Australia) largely operated on one way pricing. So this is allowable. No special fares for return. A-B, B-A fare = A-B + B-A. When buying a return fare on most long hauls on non-LCCs and many short hauls as well A-B-A is some time less than just A-B......

Now having said that, worth the OP asking , depending on fare conditions they it may be a case of just forfeiting the fare (most likely) or they may allow it to be repriced as one way ex LHR (which might be the same fare as return ex-SIN) ...you never know ...
Old Oct 15, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Replying to above. I have personally missed the first leg of both Scoot and AirAsia flights, and been allowed to take the return leg. At first I was very dubious of both, and sought confirmation multiple times and even in writing lol.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
alright, i will probably call in tmr and tell them i will forfeit the flight. See what options are available.

I reckon I can claim back the taxes of my forfeited flight?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by kt85
I have booked a SIN-LHR-SIN ticket with Expedia on SQ. It is probably the most restrictive fare.
alright, i will probably call in tmr and tell them i will forfeit the flight. See what options are available.

If it is the most restrictive fare (assuming economy), then it is probably not changeable and not refundable. They'd probably not offer you much options.

You can probably cancel the ticket with $0 refund for the fare portion, but get the taxes back. Plus you booked on Expedia, does Expedia charge any cancellation fees? Anything you have left after Expedia charges?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Basically you are cancelling your ticket and opting to refund the taxes.

And then you'll have to BUY a new ticket originating from LHR to SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.