Newbie here flying (F)irst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:07 pm
FB_
Original Poster

Programs: AP
Newbie here flying (F)irst

Air Canada AC791
Departs :Fri Aug 3 08:15 Toronto Lester B Pe... (YYZ)
Arrives :Fri Aug 3 10:18 Los Angeles Interna... (LAX)
Duration :5h 03min
Business
Class I789 Information not available

Change plane in Los Angeles International Apt
Time to connect :2h 22min

Asiana OZ201
Departs :Fri Aug 3 12:40 Los Angeles Interna... (LAX)
Arrives :Sat Aug 4 17:35 Seoul Incheon Inter... (ICN)
Duration :12h 55min
First Class
Class O Information not available

Change plane in Seoul Incheon International Airport
Time to connect :5h 45min

Singapore Airlines SQ603
Departs :Sat Aug 4 23:20 Seoul Incheon Inter... (ICN)
Arrives :Sun Aug 5 04:40 Singapore Changi Apt (SIN)
Duration :6h 20min
Business
Class I Information not available

Change plane in Singapore Changi Apt
Time to connect :1h 40min

Singapore Airlines SQ950
Departs :Sun Aug 5 06:20 Singapore Changi Apt (SIN)
Arrives :Sun Aug 5 07:05 Jakarta Soekarno-Ha... (CGK)
Duration :1h 45min
First Class

Total travel time :35h 50min

RETURN

Denpasar Bali (DPS) Toronto Lester B Pe... (YYZ) Sun Aug 19, 2018
Singapore Airlines SQ949
Departs :Sun Aug 19 21:45 Denpasar Bali (DPS)
Arrives :Mon Aug 20 00:20 Singapore Changi Apt (SIN)
Duration :2h 35min
Business

Change plane in Singapore Changi Apt
Time to connect :7h 40min

Singapore Airlines SQ600
Departs :Mon Aug 20 08:00 Singapore Changi Apt (SIN)
Arrives :Mon Aug 20 15:35 Seoul Incheon Inter... (ICN)
Duration :6h 35min
Business

Change plane in Seoul Incheon International AirportTime to connect :5h 05min

Asiana OZ204
Departs :Mon Aug 20 20:40Seoul Incheon Inter... (ICN)
Arrives :Mon Aug 20 16:20Los Angeles Interna... (LAX)
Duration :11h 40min
First Class

Change plane in Los Angeles International Apt
Time to connect :5h 55min

Air Canada AC788
Departs :Mon Aug 20 22:15Los Angeles Interna... (LAX)
Arrives :Tue Aug 21 05:49Toronto Lester B Pe... (YYZ)
Duration :4h 34min
Economy
Class X Boeing 767-300 Information not available

Total travel time :44h 04min
Here is my itinerary.

What can you all tell me about my connections lounges and what to expect from SQ as I've never flown them before.

Thanks

FB_
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Make sure you have your suit & tie on!
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

Your flight is not long enough to enjoy the first product. It's the shortest first flight in SQ's route network. Just enjoy the extra legroom. Your layover also sucks. The Private Room will be closed until 0530 but you can still enter the KrisFlyer first lounge, which is decent anyway.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I do hope you can finish the DOM in 1hour 45. SQ is a great airline but thats too short to enjoy F. No caviar for you.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:47 pm
FB_
Original Poster

It looks like the Business flights are on planes that don't have First. How are these planes?

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:27 pm

Rubbish. It's a 2-2-2 config on the flight that I bothered to check (SQ603). I hate them and manage to successfully avoid them. Someone will be along shortly to point out the advantages, though.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Phaze
I hate them and manage to successfully avoid them. Someone will be along shortly to point out the advantages, though.
Advantages is that they are entirely bearable for day flights, and totally acceptable for flights like SIN-BKK/CGK where lie flats are not necessary. However, On the overnights like the OP's itinerary, not so great...

One suggestion I have, for those stuck sleeping in such seats is to put the bed into the full bed mode, and then ever so slightly adjust it back towards upright, to put a little kink in the seat, I've found that makes it more comfortable and sliding down the seat less likely. YMMV.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
LOL

I guess OP is really excited about the trip, even with it almost a year away. But as I said in the other thread which is identical, if you do some basic searching first, then ask specific questions about things which are still unclear, that'll be more helpful for both you and us.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ing-first.html
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:33 pm
FB_
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sol95
LOL

I guess OP is really excited about the trip, even with it almost a year away. But as I said in the other thread which is identical, if you do some basic searching first, then ask specific questions about things which are still unclear, that'll be more helpful for both you and us.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ing-first.html
Thanks for the tips. I guess I wasn't joking with the newbie comment. I'm sure for many frequent flyers a lot of this has become a monotonous ritual. To be truthful I have no idea even where to begin or what questions to ask. So I'll do as suggested and hit up google and trip reports and come back more prepared and armed with questions. I also figured I'd get better information about specific airlines in each airlines thread.

Any yes I'm beyond excited and no there weren't all that many options regarding the connections etc flying on a reward ticket.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: SIA Gold, AA PlatPro, AC 75k, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FB_
Thanks for the tips. I guess I wasn't joking with the newbie comment. I'm sure for many frequent flyers a lot of this has become a monotonous ritual. To be truthful I have no idea even where to begin or what questions to ask. So I'll do as suggested and hit up google and trip reports and come back more prepared and armed with questions. I also figured I'd get better information about specific airlines in each airlines thread.

Any yes I'm beyond excited and no there weren't all that many options regarding the connections etc flying on a reward ticket.
Did you book the reward ticket with your miles? If so, there ARE a LOT of options in terms of connections. Again, do your research about booking award flights through phone, and post any other specific questions that you have afterwards. Welcome to the club.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
First thing is to look for the priority check-in counter at the airport. You can ask the agent if there are any options for priority security lines. You'll probably want to ask where the lounge is too. Just don't be snooty about flying premium class, these ain't private jets!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by FB_
Wow! Good Job!!!

Despite being in SQ forum, I'm more excited at your OZ F.
SQ F is only marginally better than J. Suites is a different topic. To fully enjoy sitting in premium cabin is subjective. Some people value sleep, some for the experience - food, service, etc.

Back to you, SilverKris lounge is overcrowded. Mainly to eat and drink. F section is a little more private. Nothing memorable. Seats wise nothing is created equal - bulkhead vs regular. Close to galley vs toilet. There are pros & cons. Just have fun! Be sure to BTC book the cook your meals. Try for once lobster thermidor & nasi lemak. Skip anything grilled.

Nonetheless, impressive redemption for first F flyer. Hope you will get new SQ Suites redemptions subsequently
markprice22 likes this.

Last edited by terbangalways; Sep 14, 2017 at 10:19 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Back to you, SilverKris lounge is overcrowded.
Not overcrowded at the times the OP will be there (04:40 - 06:20 on the outbound, 00:20-08:00 on the return)!

For lounge access at Changi:

- On arrival it seems that SQ 603 often arrives in T2, but if it doesn't important to note need to change to T2, before heading to lounge in T2. Access will be granted to first lounge there (no Private Room at T2 anyway).
- On departure lounge will only be to SilverKris lounge (business class section), and flight departs from T3, so best to just go there.

With the almost 8 hour layover on the return, I would seriously look at booking a room in one of the transit hotels (preferably in T3), get some sleep in a proper bed, rather than trying to sleep across sofas in the lounge. A 6 hour block costs $90 SGD (~ $80 CAD).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by FB_
Here is my itinerary.

What can you all tell me about my connections lounges and what to expect from SQ as I've never flown them before.

Thanks

FB_
Did you ever before heard about search function here on FT and/or about Google?

Originally Posted by FB_
It looks like the Business flights are on planes that don't have First. How are these planes?

Thanks
DITTO

Originally Posted by FB_

Oh God, one year of torture...

BTW cross posting (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ing-first.html) is not allowed here...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Did you ever before heard about search function here on FT and/or about Google?......
^^^^

Originally Posted by vbroucek
......BTW cross posting (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ing-first.html) is not allowed here...
^^^^

While I like the enthusiasm of FTers who are new to an exciting redemption, your points are correct.

While it may not be easy, I would think if one is going to book a major trip, they would also, for example:

- look at the websites of the airlines they will be flying
- look at seat maps or cabin layouts
- look at food options (if listed)
- look at lounge options, locations in which terminals, and hours of operation

And of course, along with being excited for the trip, do the research for each of the airlines you will be flying and your destination.

SQ has a very detailed and informative website. Reviewing it prior to my SQ flights helped me choose seats, BTC and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.