Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIN-CPT/JNB round trip - how to do stopover at JNB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-CPT/JNB round trip - how to do stopover at JNB?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Looking through my GDS and it shows SQ flights as codesharing with SA on SA metal.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ryry2003
This is what we have done in the past, flew into JNB and the next morning flew into Skukuza Airport as it is only a 7klm drive to the park camp, where you get your wildcard for park entry. Since SIA arrives early in the morning you can get a connecting SA flight to Skukuza.

From Skukuza you can fly direct to CPT.
You would need at least 4 nights in CPT to get most of the main attractions done, if possible stay at the V&A Waterfront area.

From CPT you can fly back to Singapore via JNB, where you sit on the plane for an hour as you are not allowed to disembark.

Or you fly to CPT for your stay and get the SA direct flight to SKU to spend your time in the park then get another SA flight back to JNB for your return trip to Singapore.

SA airfares are cheap for these short trips.

You will love both Capetown and Kruger National Park.

Oh and Singapore Airlines only has one flight to South Africa, the 2.00am flight to CPT via JNB.
Appreciate the input. Could you please help me to understand the logistics involved?

The wedding event and the part is on Friday/Saturday towards the end of the trip, after that we are flying back to SIN. I plan to book us on Wednesday week earlier to CTP to see/experience it before arriving at Kruger. Now I also plan to rent a car at CPT to drive us around.

The question is to understand how to get from CTP to Kruger, From Kruger to JNB for the return flight. and how many days spent at CTP/Kruger, assuming that JNB is only arrival departure.

If I would be able to do SIN-CTP-stopover-JNB-SIN as a part of award ticket, as I see from JNB to Kruger we have to go via car. Unless there are some cheap alternatives with local flights.

If CPT and vicinities require 4 days, how many days Kruger itself will require? In addition to the wedding we plan to see the park itself.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:12 pm

The question is to understand how to get from CTP to Kruger, From Kruger to JNB for the return flight. and how many days spent at CTP/Kruger, assuming that JNB is only arrival departure.

First up where in Kruger are you going?

You fly to CPT (one way award) then of to Kruger with SA then back to JNB for your return trip to Singapore (one way award).
SA airfares are cheap for these short domestic trips.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:31 pm
Suspended

First up where in Kruger are you going?

You fly to CPT (one way award) then of to Kruger with SA then back to JNB for your return trip to Singapore (one way award).
SA airfares are cheap for these short domestic trips.
you do not need to krueger

i have been there on 2014
i went to johannesburg airport and then continue to krueger national park to hoedspruit with shuttle bus

it is quite luxury one and it takes around 6 hours one way
Old May 1, 2016, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by willythomas561
you do not need to krueger

i have been there on 2014
i went to johannesburg airport and then continue to krueger national park to hoedspruit with shuttle bus

it is quite luxury one and it takes around 6 hours one way
If flying into JNB from CPT with Singair you arrive in JNB at 10.45 then another 6 hour drive gets you to Hoedspruit at 16.45 which is 45mins, not counting time at airport, before park gates close. So you will be cutting it fine to make gate entry let alone which camp you are staying at.

As I noted it all depends on where in Kruger you are going as Skukuza is a 2hr direct flight from CPT. Whilst Hoedspruit, Phalabowra and Nelspruit need connecting flights through JNB or a 4-6 hr drive from JNB.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:26 am
Suspended

shuttle bus time from johannesburg airport in early morning around 7 am so you need to stay 1 night in johannesburg before taking shuttle to hoedspruit
Old May 4, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

If flying into JNB from CPT with Singair you arrive in JNB at 10.45 then another 6 hour drive gets you to Hoedspruit at 16.45 which is 45mins, not counting time at airport, before park gates close. So you will be cutting it fine to make gate entry let alone which camp you are staying at.

As I noted it all depends on where in Kruger you are going as Skukuza is a 2hr direct flight from CPT. Whilst Hoedspruit, Phalabowra and Nelspruit need connecting flights through JNB or a 4-6 hr drive from JNB.
Thanks for this clarification. The event is at Hoedspruit. I was following the discussion but I still do not understand - do I need to book two one ways - SIN-CPT and JNB-SIN and get separate flight for CPT-JNB, or is it still possible to do stopover at JNB?

shuttle bus time from johannesburg airport in early morning around 7 am so you need to stay 1 night in johannesburg before taking shuttle to hoedspruit
Because there is no flights from CPT/JNB to Hoedspruit and time is limited, renting car is the only real aternative.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by invisible
or is it still possible to do stopover at JNB?
To summarise the posts to date: Probably not. Overwhelming consensus suggests the answer is no, but there are a couple of suggestions that it may be possible, but unlikely.

If you want a definitive answer - call Krisflyer and ask.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Thanks for this clarification. The event is at Hoedspruit. I was following the discussion but I still do not understand - do I need to book two one ways - SIN-CPT and JNB-SIN and get separate flight for CPT-JNB, or is it still possible to do stopover at JNB?

Because there is no flights from CPT/JNB to Hoedspruit and time is limited, renting car is the only real aternative.
sure you can rent a car if you want

if i am not mistakwn shuttle fare for one way is around 48 usd
Old May 4, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
I believe there is a daily flight CPT-HDS (Hoedspruit) and 2 daily flights JNB-HDS on SAA.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by james84
I believe there is a daily flight CPT-HDS (Hoedspruit) and 2 daily flights JNB-HDS on SAA.
yes they have flight johannesburg to hoedspruit but maybe those are not approriate time with the plan....
Old May 8, 2016, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

if i am not mistakwn shuttle fare for one way is around 48 usd
So it is little short of $200 for two people for round trip? I am quite quire that with this price I can rent a car for 5 days...
Old May 9, 2016, 5:57 am
Suspended

So it is little short of $200 for two people for round trip? I am quite quire that with this price I can rent a car for 5 days...
yea it is cheaper to rent a car than taking shuttle

but do not forget there is also fuel cost and also you must return it on same place like johanneburg airport
Old May 23, 2016, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Update on this matter.

While online you has on option to add stopover, it was throwing error when I tried to book SIN-CPT-SIN with stopover at JHB. I got message - 'there are no flights available on that day', while icon and schedule clearly showed that flight was there.

Called KF, after explanation what I wanted, I was told that yes, it is possible to add stopover. It took him more than 10 min to link flights together and after that I was presented price tag of 120K miles to with stopover.

On my question - 'what the hell', I was told 'oh, one way CPT-JHB' is 30K with SA Airlines. All my question/explanations that definition of 'stopover' should mean that there should no be THAT amount of additional miles coming were not heard.

After that I told them not to proceed with the reservation, hung up and booked two one ways SIN-CTP and JHB-SIN. Flight between CTP-JHB will be on some low cost carrier with less than $100 per person - flight between CTP and Hoedspruit was prices $550 per person one way. Thanks but no thanks.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:30 am
Suspended

Update on this matter.

While online you has on option to add stopover, it was throwing error when I tried to book SIN-CPT-SIN with stopover at JHB. I got message - 'there are no flights available on that day', while icon and schedule clearly showed that flight was there.

Called KF, after explanation what I wanted, I was told that yes, it is possible to add stopover. It took him more than 10 min to link flights together and after that I was presented price tag of 120K miles to with stopover.

On my question - 'what the hell', I was told 'oh, one way CPT-JHB' is 30K with SA Airlines. All my question/explanations that definition of 'stopover' should mean that there should no be THAT amount of additional miles coming were not heard.

After that I told them not to proceed with the reservation, hung up and booked two one ways SIN-CTP and JHB-SIN. Flight between CTP-JHB will be on some low cost carrier with less than $100 per person - flight between CTP and Hoedspruit was prices $550 per person one way. Thanks but no thanks.
yes flight to hoedspruit is quite expensive

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.