Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines Flight 836 Loss of Power May 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines Flight 836 Loss of Power May 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Tennet1979
Well it is a dictatorship.

In any case, I would assume the findings circulate among the flight crew internally. If and when they do, I'll post it here.
Singapore might not be the most "free"* country in the world, but calling it a dictatorship is just plain wrong.

*free as with a heavy spoon of salt if you mean the western world
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
It's more like a monarchy, but a very pleasant one.

Of course the media is nicely kept on a leash so don't expect all the mishaps that happen to be brought into the limelight. When SQ completely messed up with their web site "transition" a while back things were veeeery quiet in the media.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by Firemansam
There is nothing to suggest this is being covered up, i think you are being slightly alarmist.

The incident will be investigated by the proper authorities and in due course a report will be posted.

As for no follow up by any news agencies, have you thought that maybe this is not as serious as it appears??
Maybe is bad as losing power in both engines sound's it might be quite easily explained.
It sounds pretty serious to me.

I have read that it is highly improbable for two engines to develop problems at almost the same time. Pilot error could certainly be the cause for the 2nd engine to shut off, as was the case with Trans Asia. Or perhaps a software error as has been speculated.

If this had turned into a deadly crash, you can bet that these questions would have been answered by now.

It is a shame that SQ is taking this so lightly.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:11 pm

I highly doubt SQ are taking this so lightly as you suggest, once again i am not sure what is giving you the idea that they are. The AAIB is investigating the incident and we all know full reports are not issued straight away.
Perhaps if you would like some more information you could peruse the AVHerald website, there is quite a bit of information on there, including both engines stalling multiple times and the need to drift down to FL260 to restart one of the engines that would not restart at FL370.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
It is a shame that SQ is taking this so lightly.
The absence of this playing out in the media, does not necessarily mean SQ (and airbus for that matter) are taking it so lightly, especially in Singapore, where we know the media have favourable disposition toward Singapore Inc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.