Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ 317 Depressurisation and diversion to Baku

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ 317 Depressurisation and diversion to Baku

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by ashkale
What talk you??? Passengers paid for being flown safely from point A to point B. Next time you buy milk thank your lucky stars you didn't die of poisoning. What lengths you can go to defend an airline:? Next theme for their stupid ads...

Exactly my opinion.

I do not wait more then approximately 4 hours longer then the scheduled time for the takeoff of my flight without proper information, food and/or accomodation.

After this 4 hours I try to make a booking by myself, pay with my funds and later will try to get refunded and compensated. Or I will try to get out of the airport. There is no airport lounge which is comfortable for 4 hours or more.

In the last 35 years I was refunded and compensated by this airlines: TP, LH, SR, LX, TG, SQ, RG, CX, AA, DE, AB, BA, SA, AF, SU and hopefully many other to come.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:37 am

can someone enlighten me why reports say the flight landed in Baku 10 hours after takeoff, when the flight time from LHR to Baku cannot possibly be 10 hours long right?! I would think at most 4-5 hrs?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leogeo
can someone enlighten me why reports say the flight landed in Baku 10 hours after takeoff, when the flight time from LHR to Baku cannot possibly be 10 hours long right?! I would think at most 4-5 hrs?
Does that take into consideration fuel dumping?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
BA flight to Baku is 5 hrs 40 mins. The flight was over Afghanistan at the time the decision to divert was made, that's a couple of hours past Baku, so then they had to backtrack that two hours as well (at a lower altitude than normal, which I assume would be slower). Easy to see how it could be around 10hrs.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Imagine if chosen KBL or KDH instead..
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:59 am

Until now we do not have the exact place when the break of the seal took place. On avherald.com one comment says:

The incident did not occur 200NM NE of Baku. It was on airway N644 between Lemod and Vuven over Afghanistan under control of Kabul Centre. The aircraft requested a lower level from FL370 due to problems. This was first denied by ATC. Lateron the crew gave a Pan call and started descent. Contact with Kabul was lost and the Mayday call lateron was relayed via SQ327, also flying over Afghanistan. The cockpitcrew were transmitting with their oxygenmasks on and descended to FL180 due to high terrain and returned to Lemod and from there to Baku.
When the A 380 was already over Afghanistan the crew probably did not want to land in Pakistan or India. Maybe DXB or TBS would have been a better choice? We will hopefully get an explanation by SQ.

My concern is still how it could happen that after a reported problem with this door SQ let the A 380 take off from LHR.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by carpetbagger
When the A 380 was already over Afghanistan the crew probably did not want to land in Pakistan or India. Maybe DXB or TBS would have been a better choice? We will hopefully get an explanation by SQ.
Why does SQ need to explain this choice? The pilots and the company were dealing with an emergency situation and chose Baku based on the information they had to hand, I think passenger convenience comes second to passenger safety once emergency is declared.

As posted earlier - terrain over Iran enroute to DXB could pose issues for a low altitude flight so it seems sensible to avoid that path (and incidentally DXB seems to be about 50 miles further than Baku from the point where the emergency was called). As for TBS, why would they travel another 200 miles past Baku, knowing Baku is A380 capable?

I did wonder why not Ashgabat, but it seems it will be a few more years before that is capable of handling an A380.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Why does SQ need to explain this choice?
Let´s wait and see.

When it will be declared a serious incident a notification will be send by the authorities of Azerbeijan to the country of design and manufacture (probably France and Germany, maybe UK and Spain as well) and there will be an investigation with an official report. Maybe Azerbeijan will delegate the investigation to another state. The A 380 will stay for a limited time in Baku and may be ferry flying to Hamburg or Toulouse.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Originally Posted by ticktock83
Hi carpetbagger,
after we landed, the crew came to the transit area after closing up the plane. They briefed us that they have arranged for food to be catered from the Airport caterer. Which due to the large number can only be delivered 2 hours later. No hotel is arranged at that point as we need visas to enter Azerbaijian and it was the middle of the night for them. Following, the crew(as crew members, they do not need visas to enter the country ) went to hotel to rest. Their explanation was that they will be the same crew that will serve us during the replacement flight back to SG and they have to be rested for at least 10 hours before they can be on duty again(otherwise we will not be allowed to takeoff). Drinks are brought in from the flight, 2 crew members stayed behind to serve them and help any passengers. They remained there for about 8 hours. Afterwards, 2 more crew members from the hotel came to replace them. These 4 crew members was not on duty during the flight home to SG and was resting in empty suites cabin(). I felt that they deserve the rest.
Staff from Istanbul and Moscow were flown in to arrange flight details with the authorities. The explanation given to us was that there is a lot of paperwork to settle and the staff have to converse with the authorities in Russian. Azerbaijan staff were able to speak a small amount of english but maybe this is insufficient. (I'm just speaking from my experience)
as for the total delay. we landed at about 1 am local time and departed for Singapore 3 am local time. Boarding for the replacement flight started about 1 am for F and J passengers and completed by about 2 am. Afterwards it was just waiting for clearance for takeoffSo total we were in Baku for about 22 hours
Thanks a lot for this interesting post ticktock83! I still think that SQ did a very good job given the circumstances and it seems that passengers were taken care of in a decent way.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The A 380 will stay for a limited time in Baku and may be ferry flying to Hamburg or Toulouse.
The plane is already back in SIN (has been for 2 days) and I believe about to return to service if not already!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by AndDee
The plane is already back in SIN (has been for 2 days) and I believe about to return to service if not already!

Thank you for the information. This is really quick.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Thank you for the information. This is really quick.
Wondering if they just replaced the door with a new/spare one to speed things up. They could now take all the time in the world to see what went wrong with the old one...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by aster
Wondering if they just replaced the door with a new/spare one to speed things up. They could now take all the time in the world to see what went wrong with the old one...
It's reported on The Straits Times that the plane has returned on Monday. SQ engineers went to Baku and replaced the door before the plane was flown back to SG. The door was sent to Airbus for further testing/investigation as to what went wrong.

(Can't seem to find the link to the article, but that's what I recall)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

Coming back into SIN a few days ago
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ashkale
What talk you??? Passengers paid for being flown safely from point A to point B. Next time you buy milk thank your lucky stars you didn't die of poisoning. What lengths you can go to defend an airline:? Next theme for their stupid ads...
Well said ashkale! What is there to be thankful about? Relieved to a certain extent,yes.

Just some forummers trying to be manipulative in hope of dumbing people down into accepting sub par solutions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.