Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think Emirates is superior to SQ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by bostan
..Weero - my dad is a professor and he flies SQ 90% of the time. Whenever he flies SQ, even on economy, they address him as Professor. Granted he is a PPS club member, but it does make a difference.
The PPS makes the difference! Though occasionally, I get the title.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by lsed
Perhaps instead of EK, a more worthy comparison in terms of service and experience would be CX.

Service is genuine and excellent. Product is not a suite with doors but still very private.
6 in a cabin is much better than 12 or 14 on SQ / EK.

However SQ's suites are still better if you get two seats in the middle to yourself. It's fantastic!
Maybe not First, but I have recently flown the new CX business with herringbone layout and the window seats are nice and very private. I had a quick look on the middle seats and they looked awkward to me, especially that your screen is located on the other passenger side (not in front of you like you would usually expect) and is quite far away.

I have not flown SQ business yet, so cannot comment on the experience, however based on the pictures they do not seem to offer much privacy compared to EK A380 business. I have just flown EK A380 sitting on 23A seat (which together with 7AK, and 23K are best private seats you can get) and it was definitely my best business experience. I have flown EK A380 business before but I forgot how good it actually is, especially the window side seats with plenty of storage options.

What I like about Emirates business in the overall experience you get especially in Dubai:

1. Dedicated business & first class terminal
2. Excellent business lounge with very good quality offerings starting from food, through water (Voss) and alcoholic beverages (Moet champagne free flow).
3. You exit the lounge and board the plane from the same level as the lounge is, so there is dedicated boarding gate for business & first. I was the only person at the gate and the only person passing through the corridor to the plane, which gave me another great private feeling.
4. On the plane you get the nicest amenity kit I have ever seen with a great quality brown amenity bag, which will last you long for personal use.
5. Once seated you can actually relax with resting your legs on the footrest in front of you, having your legs stretched even during take off and landing. That means you can actually feel relaxed from the 1st minute when seated, which is not the case for most airlines.
6. I think they have more relaxed policy when it comes to signal belt being switched off earlier than others, which means more relaxing or sleeping time for you.
7. And there is the bar! Which was useless for me anyway as I was boarding the flight to SIN departing from DXB at 03:25am, but I am sure it is fun if the flight time is better.

Based on the pictures of SQ business seats, it seems you cannot really relax in the same manner from the moment you are seated. Also the SQ layout doesn't seem to offer much privacy compared to EK A380 layout. The SQ seats however are probably the most comfortable "beds" due to their wideness, but I might be wrong.

Last edited by stiwi; Jan 13, 2014 at 9:17 am
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by stiwi
Based on the pictures of SQ business seats, it seems you cannot really relax in the same manner from the moment you are seated. Also the SQ layout doesn't seem to offer much privacy compared to EK A380 layout. The SQ seats however are probably the most comfortable "beds" due to their wideness, but I might be wrong.
The purpose of this thread really isn't to compare the products but for SIA clientele to convince themselves that they are getting value for money for the premium prices they pay.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bostan
One would think so. I was reading that EK has the highest crew turnover rate in the industry. Would be interesting to ask the crew when i next fly them. One thing is apparent though, they definitely need to restructure their training program!
I think it primarily has to do with Dubai, not so much EK. In Dubai, you can't display public affection, women essentially have no rights, gays can be sent to prison for up to a year (and of course we know most cabin crews are females or gay males), and if you get raped and report it, even as the victim you can be sent to prison. In the end, EK can't control Dubai's outrageous laws.

However, I do believe that in general, EK overpromises things to its cabin crews to get them to move to Dubai and once they get there, it's a huge cultural shock for most.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
I think it primarily has to do with Dubai, not so much EK. In Dubai, you can't display public affection, women essentially have no rights, gays can be sent to prison for up to a year (and of course we know most cabin crews are females or gay males), and if you get raped and report it, even as the victim you can be sent to prison. In the end, EK can't control Dubai's outrageous laws.

However, I do believe that in general, EK overpromises things to its cabin crews to get them to move to Dubai and once they get there, it's a huge cultural shock for most.
Yep 3 of them complained to me while I was in the F cabin from BKK to HKG and one also told me she will be quitting and moving to Canada, gave me her details for support etc.... she was the SD.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by lottaquestions
aster being called by name is a fundamental benchmark of first class service whether it's in the air, at the hotel or at the restaurant. When a flight attendant in first class does not address you by name, s/he is either poorly trained, bad at their job or the airline has no idea what first class service. It has nothing to do with ego or being a snub, it's a clear sign to steer clear of that airline.
I agree it is common manners. I had a flight attendant call me Miss instead of Mrs and she spent ages apologising for the error and I am sure she was trying to make it up to me for the rest of the flight by being VERY attentive. I didn't care but I guess her training made her aware she had made an error.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by fly747first
Wow my experience has been entirely the opposite. SQ cabin crews for some odd reason adore me, but then again, I enter SQ aircraft with a huge smile because of course I'm thinking thank God I don't have to fly UA, lol.

On the other hand, I find QF cabin crews to be cold and indifferent, they seem to be bothered by passengers trying to start a conversation and try to push you back to your seat... apparently galley space is sacred at QF.

My experience with LH has been exclusively in F and 95% of the cabin crews I get range from very good to outstanding, but most seem rather reserved.
Agree with you on QF. I was in business on holidays alone and a Qantas flight attendant commented about economy "it's like a zoo back there". Those zoo animals pay your wages!!!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Agree with you on QF. I was in business on holidays alone and a Qantas flight attendant commented about economy "it's like a zoo back there". Those zoo animals pay your wages!!!
It amazes me how unintelligent some cabin crews are. I mean, even UA FAs know that some fares in economy (e.g., Y and B classes) can be more expensive that discounted business, so there is absolutely no excuse for QF cabin crews not to know this and it may very well be than some of the people from the "zoo" paid more for their tickets than someone flying using miles or on a discounting business class ticket. Then again, look at the pathetic state of QF--the airline deserves to be in the financial embarrassment it is in now.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
SQ v EK v Etihad suites: SQ roomier with the chance of getting the famed double bed! EK shower is great and their F lounge is super, with free massage and shoe shine in addition to the a la carte dining offered by the rest. Etihad has the best food b/c of their personal chef.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Please be advised that personal attacks and discriminatory remarks are not permitted in FT. I deleted a few posts for rule violation (and also responses to those deleted posts.)

cxfan1960
SQ Mod
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
I believe SQ crew is becoming sligthly inconsistent as well?!

On my last 4 SQ F flights, 2 had outstanding FA's, 1 were average and 1 was really bad.

Consistency had always been the key factor for me when choosing SQ over other airlines. Guess SQ might lose some of my tkts now... Will opt with the wallet.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by ttravelator
I'm a long time advocate of SIA, but Emirates are seeming like a better option for service, product, and value. What do you think?
Are you kidding me?

NO
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GRUflyer
I believe SQ crew is becoming sligthly inconsistent as well?!

On my last 4 SQ F flights, 2 had outstanding FA's, 1 were average and 1 was really bad.

Consistency had always been the key factor for me when choosing SQ over other airlines. Guess SQ might lose some of my tkts now... Will opt with the wallet.

I highly recommend UA in your case, as UA is consistently inconsistent and that'll be a perfect match for you. I kid you not.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I highly recommend UA in your case, as UA is consistently inconsistent and that'll be a perfect match for you. I kid you not.

LOL I took a UA flight in F (intl) recently. Got a shock when I was served a welcome drink in a plastic disposable cup with that really ugly UA napkin.

Honestly SQ C is hands down better any day
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsed
LOL I took a UA flight in F (intl) recently. Got a shock when I was served a welcome drink in a plastic disposable cup with that really ugly UA napkin.

Honestly SQ C is hands down better any day
SQ Y is better then any N. American J or F cabin service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.