Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth to try the BOOK THE COOK?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Book the cook is also available ex HKG. So you could also book something for the leg between HKG to SFO if you are getting out in HKG.

I made my BTC bookings via singaporeair.com and many many light years ago, via fax (no longer available I believe).

But if you cannot access to SQ.com, I suppose you could seek assistance from the call center. I am sure they are familiar with how reliable this new web-site is.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:10 pm

thanks for the advice. Called SQ and they took care of my btc options from sin-hkg and hkg-sfo. overly apologetic about the website not recognizing my locator codes, but it's certainly not the phone rep's fault.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I have two SQ flights in September in F. Having never flown them before, I'm looking forward to the Book the Cook option.

On ex-MUC, the choices are more limited and I'll probably get the artichoke-tomato crusted loin of lamb. Ex-SIN, however, has a lot of variety. I'm considering Chilean seabass, braised pork ribs, Singapore Chicken Rice, or Straits Chinese Chicken Curry. Any comments on those or other recommendations?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Recently flew SQ C on SIN - DPS and we had the Lamb chops and Soygrilled Beef (smth like that). Both were really "underwhelming". Lamb chops were dry, super well done and looked grey. The beef has a decent soy sauce and char grilled flavor but wasn't a nice cut of beef. Very chewy, not pleasant. The veg sides were bland and overcooked too. Absolutely forgettable.

I'll stick to the fish dishes going forward as at least they turn out half way decent.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by andreiz
I have two SQ flights in September in F. Having never flown them before, I'm looking forward to the Book the Cook option.

On ex-MUC, the choices are more limited and I'll probably get the artichoke-tomato crusted loin of lamb. Ex-SIN, however, has a lot of variety. I'm considering Chilean seabass, braised pork ribs, Singapore Chicken Rice, or Straits Chinese Chicken Curry. Any comments on those or other recommendations?
Chilean Seabass is always great on SQ (both reg menu & BTC) & in general I HATE airline fish. I won't eat it in general but both SQ & EK gets it right when served in F. Order that (just my opinion)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Singapore chicken rice
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Anyone had the "Hanakoireki" meal LAX-NRT off the regular menu?
Or if not, would you BTC out of LAX, and if yes witch which item? I'm only looking at the sea bass & the filet at the moment...

Choices are:

Grilled free range chicken with fettuccine pasta and wild mushroom sauce
Peppered fillet mignon with mustard jus, chanterelle mushrooms, fava beans, and paprika red potatoes
Seared Chilean bass with creamy saffron sauce, baby vegetables and wild rice
Steamed crab ravioli in creamy lobster sauce with mixed vegetables
Beef Sukiyaki with steamed rice
Prawns with preserved cabbage, sugar snap peas, and steamed rice
Stir-fried pork with wood ear, enoki mushroom, bell peppers, and steamed rice
Sweet and sour fish with fried noodles
Wok-fried black pepper chicken with carrots, zucchini, gingko nuts, and steamed rice
Old Sep 8, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by crunchy
Anyone had the "Hanakoireki" meal LAX-NRT off the regular menu?
Or if not, would you BTC out of LAX, and if yes witch which item? I'm only looking at the sea bass & the filet at the moment...

Choices are:

Grilled free range chicken with fettuccine pasta and wild mushroom sauce
Peppered fillet mignon with mustard jus, chanterelle mushrooms, fava beans, and paprika red potatoes
Seared Chilean bass with creamy saffron sauce, baby vegetables and wild rice
Steamed crab ravioli in creamy lobster sauce with mixed vegetables
Beef Sukiyaki with steamed rice
Prawns with preserved cabbage, sugar snap peas, and steamed rice
Stir-fried pork with wood ear, enoki mushroom, bell peppers, and steamed rice
Sweet and sour fish with fried noodles
Wok-fried black pepper chicken with carrots, zucchini, gingko nuts, and steamed rice
If you feel swayed at all by endangered fisheries on seafood watch, the fillet would be the more appropriate choice.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:26 am
soy

Programs: various
How is the J class Kyo-Kaiseki as a BTC option?

Undecided between that and the Beef Rendang for my trip SIN-HKG
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by soy
How is the J class Kyo-Kaiseki as a BTC option?

Undecided between that and the Beef Rendang for my trip SIN-HKG
If they have Kyo Kaiseki on J BTC, it would be news to me. Are you sure? I just clicked over to the J BTC menu for SIN and don't see that as an option. Am i missing something?

I had the Kyo Kaisek for F BTC on SIN-BCN in June and enjoyed it. It's probably not for newbies to Japanese food though. I ordered it to replace my breakfast meal, which I would do it again. It's a nice light meal to enjoy after a long flight of eating, drinking amd sleeping.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Flew SFO/SIN in F on a 777W with a stopover in Seoul. Mrs. OrlandoFlyer and myself ordered Book the Cook on the first segment. She ordered Seabass which was delicious and I ordered Veal Chop which was dry and not so delicious. The second segment we ate the food on the menu and the steak was one of the most tasty I have eaten on a plane. In future we will probably skip Book the Cook and eat the regular meals.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: KF
i dont know, is it just me or what, but I regret the BTC on my EWR-SIN flight, The Chilean seabass with fried rice???? is the most untasty fish I ever had, overcooked vegetables, and very poorly presented, even an auntie in a singapore neighbourhood kopitiam will do better in presenting such dish. The fish was put over a fried rice which is overflowing on a small plate. On the same plate was the overcooked steamed vegetables .I had just my first bite and one spoon of fried rice and thats it? I'd rather take anytime the "food for purchase" on a budget airine Air Asia. 2 hours later, I asked for pancakes, thats it, it made me full .Or I might be talking a different Baked Chiliean Seabass. No disrespect to the chef but I was REALLY disappointed.

Though in fairness, the LObster Thermidor on my SIN-HAN flight is one of the best food I ever had.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:08 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal
If they have Kyo Kaiseki on J BTC, it would be news to me. Are you sure? I just clicked over to the J BTC menu for SIN and don't see that as an option. Am i missing something?
doh....looked at the wrong menu. Was surprised to see it there myself.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:48 pm

Hi
I have an upcoming SYD-SIN trip in J. I have BTC choices of
>Grilled beef in green peppercorn sauce with seasonal vegetables and gratin potatoes
>Roast chicken breast in wild mushroom cream and gratin chat potatoes
>Seafood Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice
>Tasmanian salmon in wild-lime butter sauce with steamed green beans and pasta
>Barramundi in black bean sauce with baby bok choy and jasmine rice
>Cantonese roast duck with plum sauce and steamed rice
>Indian lamb shank curry with vegetables and pilaff rice
>Singapore Chicken Rice
>Toasted multigrain country bread with herb cottage cheese, grilled vegetables and fresh berries low fat yoghurt (Breakfast only)

I have chosen t grilled beef but wondering if t seafood thermidor would be better. Is it lobster or crayfish?
can anyone who has flown the above route recommend?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:55 pm

I absolutely love Kyo Kaiseki! Other BTC to me is a hit or miss. I'd always BTC for light meal, but they were all long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.