FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

invisible Aug 4, 2016 6:41 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 27013496)
YMMV. If it's shortly before next year's tax bill is issued, they could apply it against the following year's tax on the presumption that you indeed had planned for that to happen by overpaying. But generally if it's midway through the year and it's still far away from their issuing the next tax bill then you'd typically get a refund.

Affirmate. $1000 payment in May was applied toward the tax bill generated in July. At the same time, slight overpayment in January resulted refund check to be issued.

fatal1ty Aug 4, 2016 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air (Post 27012274)
Has anyone had any luck in paying their IRAS with a credit card but less than the amount stated on the Notice ?

The reason I ask is that my employer will pay around half the tax. The Standard Chartered scheme seems to force you to pay the full amount as stated on the Notice: https://www.sc.com/global/av/sg-online-faq-final.pdf

Does anyone have any experience in overpaying IRAS ? Can you get a cheque refund ?

Thanks in advance.

Why not asking your company to reimburse you in cash? ;)

Singapore_Air Aug 5, 2016 12:56 am

Thanks for the replies so far.

Originally Posted by fatal1ty (Post 27018183)
Why not asking your company to reimburse you in cash? ;)

I'm sure it would breach some part of the bureaucracy, policies or procedures... just not worth the effort asking for a deviation. :rolleyes:

jagmeets Aug 5, 2016 4:27 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea (Post 27012684)
Its 2 or 3 years ago now but back when the DBS Altitude still earned points for IRAS payments I "accidently" overpaid them $60k expecting them to carry the payment forward for future tax bills but they ended up sending me a cheque refund before the statement was even due for paying... Sigh. The good old days :-)

Similar situation with an accidental overpayment/wrongly over-estimated tax bill..IRAS called and just kept the account in credit when I told them that We were going through a balance sheet reduction exercise..

toothpick2 Aug 7, 2016 8:37 pm

I think overpayment of taxes is the last thing the singapore goverment will worry about.

countries fail and struggle to get taxes paid by their citizens...and here in singapore we have people overpaying for the sake of airmiles. see the irony?

lcpteck Aug 7, 2016 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by toothpick2 (Post 27030516)
I think overpayment of taxes is the last thing the singapore goverment will worry about.

countries fail and struggle to get taxes paid by their citizens...and here in singapore we have people overpaying for the sake of airmiles. see the irony?

Crazy country we live in.... :D

toothpick2 Aug 7, 2016 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 27030559)
Crazy country we live in.... :D

Good on the Singapore government though, to have made people want to overpay their taxes.

Not paying and evading taxes is the norm in the rest of the world.

Loalq Aug 8, 2016 1:18 am

Just paid my assessment for this year (around 100k sgd) with SC Visa Infinite. It worked well. Not a bad deal 140k miles for $1'600sgd...

toothpick2 Aug 8, 2016 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Loalq (Post 27031067)
Just paid my assessment for this year (around 100k sgd) with SC Visa Infinite. It worked well. Not a bad deal 140k miles for $1'600sgd...

damm, someone got paid more than $850,000SGD last year^:-:

Loalq Aug 8, 2016 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air (Post 27012274)
Has anyone had any luck in paying their IRAS with a credit card but less than the amount stated on the Notice ?

The reason I ask is that my employer will pay around half the tax. The Standard Chartered scheme seems to force you to pay the full amount as stated on the Notice: https://www.sc.com/global/av/sg-online-faq-final.pdf

Does anyone have any experience in overpaying IRAS ? Can you get a cheque refund ?

Thanks in advance.

I also have part of my IRAS covered by my company, but the company make me pay IRAS in full then then they refund me later. Cant you ask your company to do the same?

toothpick2 Aug 8, 2016 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Loalq (Post 27031082)
I also have part of my IRAS covered by my company, but the company make me pay IRAS in full then then they refund me later. Cant you ask your company to do the same?

what industry is this?

Loalq Aug 8, 2016 1:55 am

Mining. Not "is", WAS. From 2016 assessment on, we are on our own. The good years are gone... and 100k in taxes amounts to around 600k in earnings, not 850k -- we had a good run, unfortunately markets and packages have changed dramatically and the next years will be way more challenging...that's why I need to earn miles anyway I can!

I posted that for the sake of those that were wondering if SC would honor CC advances for more substantial applications. At first they declined - I received a letter at home simply saying my application was denied, without any further explanation. I had to go down to SC and ask for the manager, and I was pretty pissed off about it (I only signed for this card to be able to pay my taxes and collect the miles with it). I the end they decided to accept it, luckily. I would have canceled the card and asked for a full refund of the yearly fee if not.

toothpick2 Aug 8, 2016 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Loalq (Post 27031134)
Mining. Not "is", WAS. From 2016 assessment on, we are on our own. The good years are gone... and 100k in taxes amounts to around 600k in earnings, not 850k -- we had a good run, unfortunately markets and packages have changed dramatically and the next years will be way more challenging...that's why I need to earn miles anyway I can!

I posted that for the sake of those that were wondering if SC would honor CC advances for more substantial applications. At first they declined - I received a letter at home simply saying my application was denied, without any further explanation. I had to go down to SC and ask for the manager, and I was pretty pissed off about it (I only signed for this card to be able to pay my taxes and collect the miles with it). I the end they decided to accept it, luckily. I would have canceled the card and asked for a full refund of the yearly fee if not.

lol you should post this on HWZ and watch people comment on your income lol.

yeah no harm done, its good to find inspiration on a dull day...

should ask for some compensation to offset the time and money you wasted to go the branch, after such a significant piece of business i'm sure they'll give you something back in goodwill at least. (vouchers/spending credit)

dbs screwed me around refunding me a fraudulent transaction and replied with a lot of aggression, yet i was able to get about 200sgd in vouchers as compensation (which they claim is not an apology for the .... set of events which happened)

spk307 Aug 8, 2016 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Loalq (Post 27031067)

You could have tried getting similar miles from HSBC and ANZ as well. Best part is they dont care if you availed the 'tax payment facility' from other banks.

spk307 Aug 8, 2016 9:17 am

Originally Posted by toothpick2 (Post 27031176)

should ask for some compensation to offset the time and money you wasted to go the branch, after such a significant piece of business i'm sure they'll give you something back in goodwill at least. (vouchers/spending credit)

pretty good piece of business actually. they gave 100k on loan for a month and charged $1600. That would have cost them $80 in funding and another $400-500 for miles (which is on the higher side i'd think). A cool $1000 profit in 5 mins.