Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lifeonthego_k
I'm going to update this first post as more info flows in to create a 'master list' of all credit cards that offer a decent way of accruing miles - so please help out!

If you know of and/or use any other cards (or the ones already mentioned), please share your thoughts.

***ALL VALUES BELOW IN SINGAPORE DOLLARS (SGD)***
============
In no particular order (apart from personal preference in terms of good-mileage opportunities):
============

1. UOB PRVI Miles VISA, MasterCard, AMEX

VISA:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...iles_visa.html
MasterCard:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...astercard.html
Amex:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...amex_card.html
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...ard/microsite/

Mileage accrual:
The earn rate will be 1.4 miles for every $1 spent in multiples of S$10 (every multiple of S$5 gives 6 to 7 miles due to 3.5 UNI$ rounding off, every S$10 gives 14 miles), and 2.4 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS (every $5 gives 12 miles).

Requirements: min. income $80,000 (not strict).
Cost: First year free, then S$256.80 for main, first two supplementary always free. Annual fee waiver for Amex card if you charge $50,000 or more in a year.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion. UNI$ are combined in 1 cardholder's name/FIN Number/NRIC together for all UOB cards which earn UNI$.

Pros: Best mileage accrual rates for overseas spend only. 20,000 bonus miles and annual fee waiver with spend of $50,000 per year (both only for Amex card). $45 1-way airport transfer voucher for $1,000 overseas spend in a given quarter (Amex only).
Cons: AMEX not always accepted by merchants. Points allocated on every $5 spent, rounded down to next $5. Transfer in blocks of 5000 UNI$ points = 10,000 miles. Points are valid for 2 years (transfer before expiry and they will subsequently be valid for a further 3 years from the date of transfer to KrisFlyer).

2. UOB Preferred Platinum Visa

http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards..._platinum.html
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...visa_card.html

Mileage accrual: Earn 4 miles for every $1 spent using ONLY MOBILE CONTACTLESS every $5 gives 10 UNI$ which equal 20 miles). Same incredible mileage-earning ratio for internet shopping with certain restrictions (travel-related, utilities, etc.). Earn 0.4 mile for every $1 for regular, signature-based payments AND ORPHAN SPEND DUE TO $5 ROUNDING OR EXCEEDING THE BONUS U$2000 SPEND (every $5 gives 1 UNI$ which equal 2 miles).

Earning 4 miles/$ is limited to the first S$1110 spent during the per calendar month (via Mobile Contactless). 2,000UNI$ refers to the extra 9UNI$ and does not include the normal 1UNI$.(Stop when you notice you earn 3UNI$ (1 + bonus 2) for the last S$5 transaction. ($1110/5)x9=1998UNI$, hence the last S$5 transaction will earn 2 bonus UNI$. The total bonus UNI$ awarded to you from qualifying spend on Selected Online Transactions and Mobile Contactless Transactions is capped at UNI$2,000 for each calendar month. THE CAP IS ON THE 9 UNI$ BONUS NOT 10UNI$ TOTAL YOU GET WITH BASE OF U$1 PER $ SPEND

Keep in mind that some merchants offer different, non-mileage accruing awards with UOB cards which are called SMART$. Some popular merchants include Cold Storage, Guardian and Giant Supermarket, ToastBox and Starbucks. A full list of merchants where Mobile contactless transactions will NOT earn miles can be found here:
http://www.uob.com.sg/personal/cards...smartclub.html

Requirements: min. income $30,000 ($60,000 for foreigners).
Cost: First year free, then $192.60 for main and $96.30 for supplementary. Annual fee waived off easily.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion, in blocks of 5000 UNI$=10,000 miles. UNI$ are combined in 1 cardholder's name for all UOB cards.

Pros: Incredible mileage accrual rates for Paywave transactions (not all merchants - some give SMART$ instead which are different rewards!) as well as internet transactions (some restrictions apply).
Cons: Points allocated on every $5 spent, rounded down to next $5. Transfer in blocks of 5000 UNI$ points = 10,000 miles. Points are valid for 2 years (transfer before expiry and they will subsequently be valid for a further 3 years from the date of transfer to KrisFlyer).

3. Citi PremierMiles MasterCard

https://www.citibank.com.sg/credit-cards/travel/premiermiles-card/?ecid=PSGONSGCCAENPM

Mileage accrual: Earn 1.2 miles for every $1 spent. Earn 2 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS. 10,000 bonus miles for each annual membership renewal.

Requirements: min. income $50,000 for VISA. Principal cardholder must be at least 21 years of age.
Cost: First year free, then $192.60 for VISA main, supplementary always free. Annual fee waiver available in exchange for forfeiting the 10,000renewal bonus.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion.

Pros: Decent all-rounder, good for overseas spend. Points never expire. Bonus miles for annual card renewal. 11 frequent flyer programs & 3 hotel programs to choose from, including EVA Air - only 25,000 miles for 1 way Business Class within Asia!!
Cons: No miles awarded for EZ-Link & Transitlink transactions. Miles awarded per S$1. Cents not included. 1.2 miles/S$1. Transfer in blocks of 10,000 miles.

4. DBS Altitude VISA/AMEX

http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...e/default.aspx
http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...e/default.aspx

Mileage accrual: Earn 1.2 miles for every $1 spent (every $5 gives 3 DBS points which equal 6 miles). Earn 2 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS.

Requirements: min. income $80,000.
Cost: First year free, then $180 for main and $90 for supplementary. Annual fee waiver if you charge $25,000 or more in a year.
Miles conversion fee: S$26.75 per transfer, redeem 1700 DBS points to waive off.

Pros: Points never expire. No rounding down transaction amount to nearest $5 (calculation is done as follows: DBS points = 'transaction amount' divided by 5, multiply by 3, after that round down to nearest whole number. Minimum spend is S$1.67. Each DBS point = 2 miles). Earn 3 miles per S$1 spent on all online Flight and Hotel transactions (capped at S$5,000 per month). 10,000 miles renewal bonus if you have to pay card renewal fees.
Cons: All local spend now down to 1.2 miles/$ (since Dec 1, 2013). AMEX not always accepted by merchants. Transfer in blocks of 5000 DBS points = 10,000 miles (on the plus side points don't expire). Per transfer of S$26.75, redeem 1700 DBS points to waive off.

5. Maybank Horizon Platinum Visa

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/persona...visa-card.aspx

Earn 3.2 air miles (8X TREATS Points) with every dollar spent on dining, petrol, taxi fares and hotel bookings at Agoda.com/horizon
Earn 2 air miles (5X TREATS Points) with every dollar spent on air tickets, travel packages and foreign currency transactions, with a minimal S$300 in a calendar month

Earn 0.4 mile for every $1 spent elsewhere (1 mile for every $2.50 spent).

Requirements: min. income $30,000 ($80,000 for foreigners).
Cost: $150 for main, supplementary always free. Unsure of any annual fee waiver conditions.
Miles conversion fee: In blocks of 5,000 points to 2000 Asia Miles or KrisFlyer. S$26.75 fee applies.

Pros: Great for ticket purchases and overseas spend. Complimentary access to selected VIP airport lounges when you charge a minimum of S$400 in a single transaction on air tickets or travel packages to your Card 3 months prior to the date of travel.
Cons: Great ONLY for ticket purchases and overseas spend. Points are valid for 1 year only, expire either on 30 June or 31 December of the same year if not Rewards Infinite member.

6. Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend AMEX

https://www.americanexpress.com/sg/s...nd-credit-card

Mileage accrual: Earn 1.2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on all your eligible purchases with your Card

Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 equivalent in foreign currency spent overseas on eligible purchases during June and December

Requirements: min. income $50,000 ($60,000 for foreigners). Principal cardholder must be over 21 years of age.
Cost: First year free, otherwise $256.80 for main, 2 supplementary cards always free (more available at $80.25 each). Annual fee cannot be waived unless you spend alot.
Miles conversion fee: None - your KrisFlyer miles are transferred to your account directly with no conversion fees or charges.

Pros: None, except for welcome offers (4 complimentary airport lounge access vouchers, one complimentary night with Millennium Hotels and Resorts).

Cons: Simply nothing special - there are better cards available for all types of purchases, including flight tickets, even with all of the bonuses above applied. AMEX not always accepted by merchants.

7. Citibank Rewards Card

http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...CACRENCCHOCALM

Earn 10X Rewards (10 Rewards Points or 4 Miles for every S$1 spent) when you shop for clothes, bags and shoes or at departmental stores or online shopping websites, including SingTel & M1 online bill payment!

Pros: Transfer to 11 FFPs & 3 Hotel programs in blocks of 25,000 points=10,000 miles; S$25 fee.

Cons: Points awarded per S$1 spend. Cents not included. Cannot combined Thank You Points across cards.

8. DBS Woman's World MasterCard® Card

http://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/cards...astercard-card

10X Rewards for Online Retail Purchases
T&C Here: https://www.dbs.com.sg/iwov-resource...s_card_tnc.pdf

Pros: Men also can get this card!! DBS points are combined in 1 cardholder's name. No rounding down transaction amount to nearest $5 (calculation is done as follows: DBS points = 'transaction amount' divided by 5, multiply by 10, after that round down to nearest whole number. Minimum spend is S$1. Each DBS point = 2 miles).

Cons: DBS points are valid for 1 year based on card anniversary date. The additional 9X DBS Points for online retail spend in a calendar month will be awarded on the 16th of the next calendar month. If the above days are not working days, the Points will be awarded on the next working day. The additional 9X DBS Points are only applicable to the first S$2,000 online retail spend every calendar month.

9. OCBC Titanium Rewards Card

https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankin...astercard.html

10x OCBC$ on your shopping Local & Overseas Shopping Transactions, Local & Overseas Department Store Transactions and Local & Overseas Online Transactions.
The remaining 9 OCBC$ will be posted to the Card Account by the end of the next calendar month

https://www.ocbc.com/assets/pdf/card...ons.pdf?rand=1
10,000 KrisFlyer miles requires OCBC$ 25000, For each conversion of OCBC$ to KrisFlyer miles a fee of S$25 will be charged

10. UOB Lady's Card
https://www.uob.com.sg/personal/card...ard/index.page

============

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: KF, Eva
hi folks,

My wife recently purchased some items from ishopchangi using citi rewards.
But somehow, she didn't get any point (0).
In this case, should I give them another day to monitor if the points is credited tomorrow? Or should I just call them to check? What do you guys think? The strange thing is previously she got x10 points using the same card..

-update 21 oct
the points are already credited

Last edited by vleex5; Oct 20, 2015 at 7:20 pm
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I have an AIA insurance premium (not first year) that is due by next week... a bit confused which card to use that still earns miles these days. Appreciate some guidance.
No feedback... despite the collective intelligence of this forum?

I would really loath to write out a cheque!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I have thought about redeeming for EY's First Apartment as well, but apparently even using their own program's miles are very expensive. So it's not a good option.
Apartment not too bad. More expensive than SQ for sure -- 88k Etihad Guest miles for one way AbuDhabi --> Heathrow (~8hr flight), but ... still attainable.

Problem of course is the cost of positioning to AbuDhabi. Anyway off topic liao since this is KF miles thread
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:49 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
No feedback... despite the collective intelligence of this forum?

I would really loath to write out a cheque!
Why would you write a check rather than use a card just because you can't earn points? Will you get a discount?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
DCC...chargeback

So, I had another transaction with Citi where I was charged the wrong amount (DCC instead of the local ccy)...

Issue last year, took a few months, but i didn't stop giving them pain (they gave me ample opportunity to)..they ended up sending a few couriers & getting a few managers to get on calls with me - all over a few cents .

Its the fault of the Acquiring bank overseas, but the painful charge-back process just riles me.

Seeing the wrong charge annoyed the hell out of me last night- just replied on the rather long email chain from the previous issue, copying in any and all Citi exec's email ids that I could find on google. Did give them the schedule of my charges (very fair imho) on the time/effort that I would have to spend on this issue.

Well many of the google found ids bounced, but I did get a call back today before the deadline that I had imposed (a rather hefty fees would have kicked in if they'd not met the deadline). Reps from their Cards, Ops & Customer Experience gigs on.

Seems they've now changed their charge-back/dispute process. A call is sufficient & the transaction would be reversed within 3-5 days, & the correct transaction posted after they've sorted the details out.

Lesson: Any issue - raise a big stink & it can be resolved quickly

Last edited by jagmeets; Oct 23, 2015 at 2:49 am
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Jagmeets: your issuer is Citi SG right? This is great cos SG FTers seem very pessimistic about their chargeback chances (eg http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l#post25588955 ), seems even worse than HK. Good to know you can actually enforce your Visa/Mastercard-entitled chargeback rights over there.

Can you threaten a MAS complaint on Citi?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Good to know you can actually enforce your Visa/Mastercard-entitled chargeback rights over there.
percysmith - you seem to be our resident guru on DCC and chargebacks. What exactly do the Visa / MC chargeback rights say?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:58 pm

Yep, Citi SG.

The last incident, I had complained to the MAS (after frustrating telephonic & email exchanges with Citi), but didn't want to wait that long (MAS just requires the banks to reply within 14 days, and that's just to 'start' the process & will not intervene in things it deems to be commercial decisions - for instance - what FX fees to allow/the chargeback process etc).

A sarcastic-fun email cc-ing a bunch of honchos, enabling them to take political potshots at each other (they're a bank after all..) was way more effective. They probably spent an un-irrelevant cost in man hours, couriers & calls on my last issue- so I did point that out...and did mention the MAS- suppose that a CEO or a compliance head worries more about regulators & bad press than the average exec we'd normally deal with.

I've moaned about the lack of consumer protection too, so making the chargeback process simpler would be a definite step forward.

Doubt that the MAS would ordain the process for the banks, but hopefully other banks change too.

Since I've been relishing making the banks squirm, I'll try writing in to the MAS as well- from a policy perspective & seeing how less savvy customers might actually be at risk- let's see. A cc to retail banking heads shouldn't cost too much & might just provide for some pop-corn material.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:33 pm

Exclamation

percysmith - you seem to be our resident guru on DCC and chargebacks. What exactly do the Visa / MC chargeback rights say?
From wiki post of DCC master thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...r-thread.html:

You can even use terminology from Visa's Chargeback Management Guidelines when filing the dispute, giving Reason Code 76: Incorrect Currency or Transaction Code. Reason Code 76 is used when the transaction was processed with an incorrect transaction code, or an incorrect currency code, or one of the following:
Merchant did not deposit a transaction receipt in the country where the transaction occurred
Cardholder was not advised that Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) would occur
Cardholder was refused the choice of paying in the merchant’s local currency
Merchant processed a credit refund and did not process a reversal or adjustment within 30 calendar days for a transaction receipt processed in error

MasterCard's rules also clearly state that the POI Currency Conversion must be decided by both the merchant and customer. When filing a dispute with a MasterCard, list chargeback Reason Code 4846 from the MasterCard Chargeback Guide, which covers POI currency conversion disputes in the following circumstances:
The cardholder states that he or she was not given the opportunity to choose the desired currency in which the transactions was completed or did not agree to the currency of the transaction, or
POI currency conversion took place into a currency that is not the cardholder's billing currency, or
POI currency conversion took place when the goods or services were priced in the cardholder's billing currency, or
POI currency conversion took place when cash was disbursed in the cardholdeer's billing currency.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:37 pm

Jagmeets: HKMA says they don't intervene in commercial disputes but I found they do that on occasion in practice.

In any case you can shout "Non-Compliance!" (with Visa VIOR or MC chargeback guide) at the top of your lungs and I trust MAS may notice and/or bank compliance departments will run for cover.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:42 pm

While we're on the topic, what's the recourse against errant merchants that impose a minimum amount before accepting credit cards or require a topup % fee before they allow you to charge your card? I know these are not allowed by MC / VISA rules.... but we all know they still exist.

I had previously called MC / VISA to complain and they said that was not something they could do anything about because my relationship was with my card issuing bank not with MC / VISA. When I called my bank they shrugged and said the merchant was not acquired by them. And when I tried to call the merchant acquiring bank, you guessed it, they said they would not act on my complaint because they had no relationship with me! Effectively one party ping ponging to another when it's something that requires action against errant merchants.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:56 pm

Just thinking- and I am skeptical that it' work, still- perhaps complain to the MAS saying that while you understand that your card bank isn't directly responsible to implement the change, they do have the responsibility to take it up with Visa/MC since your agreement is with the bank? And include Visa/MC's response that they wouldn't deal directly with you...
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:55 am

carrotjuice: we haven't solved this one in HK. People have tried to write to Visa HK about it but again no response from them (with very limited exceptions Visa works for the acquirers and not cardholders).

In HK there is the added disadvantage it is relatively difficult to identify a merchant's acquirer even if the cardholder can meet the merchant's conditions for card charging.

This one I tend to take in my stride - there's probably a cash discount in lieu of card charging. Ability to use card is taken into account when I negotiate a purchase with the merchant.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:58 am

Jagmeets: this one's a tough one - even if the merchant acquirer can be identified I don't see HKMA/MAS taking a hard line when the bank can claim it has done no wrong (only the merchant has done wrong)
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by percysmith
Jagmeets: your issuer is Citi SG right? This is great cos SG FTers seem very pessimistic about their chargeback chances (eg http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l#post25588955 ), seems even worse than HK. Good to know you can actually enforce your Visa/Mastercard-entitled chargeback rights over there.

Can you threaten a MAS complaint on Citi?
Question - so is there any successful chargeback cases especially for travel related cases?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.