Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to expected as *G in SQ Y?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by kt74
Correction. Your post should read:
"Most airlines op-up ... every now and then, but SQ makes a point of avoiding this as much as possible."

If SQ doesn't op-up (which stands for "operational upgrade" - duh, like, for "operational" reasons), then how can it op-up *Gs?
Nope. Every airline, including SQ, tries avoid op-ups as much as possible, yet they still do them when they have to (= economy overbooked, space in business). At most *A airlines, *Gs are at or near the top of the queue when this happens; but on SQ, the PPS system ensures that a mere *G is around 4 rungs down the ladder and thus has very low odds of getting lucky.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Nope. Every airline, including SQ, tries avoid op-ups as much as possible, yet they still do them when they have to (= economy overbooked, space in business). At most *A airlines, *Gs are at or near the top of the queue when this happens; but on SQ, the PPS system ensures that a mere *G is around 4 rungs down the ladder and thus has very low odds of getting lucky.
I suspect you mean every non-US airline :-).

Re: *G position in the queue, 50,000 miles a year is not special enough to get very high priority in a world where many premium passengers regularly clock 200,000+ miles p.a. So it's not surprising that SQ has PPS, PPS Solitaire etc. on top of *G. CX is similar - Gold is at 60,000 miles, Diamond at 120,000, and there is a Diamond+ for the top 1% of Diamond.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: CX*G, SQ*G
Wink Op-up for G

I am a CX G and also SQ G. My experience is that CX treats their G a bit better. Of my 7-8 years as a SQ G, only ever been given one op-up, i.e. once ONLY in 7 years, does that say something?

Yet I get an op-up from CX around once every 3-4 flights. When taking Dragon Air (their subsidy for flights to China), the cabin manager even comes to my Y seat and said welcome on board nearly everytime. Just some little thing that make one feel a bit more important than treatment by SQ.

In SQ, a G is no body...... I once asked at Changi counter why my colleague on the same fight got upgraded while he was not even a KF member and yet I was not upgraded. The answer given by the lady is that "you are four ranks down and do not even hope"..... she was so rude. Reminiscient of how they see a G member.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by Curious59
I am a CX G and also SQ G. My experience is that CX treats their G a bit better. Of my 7-8 years as a SQ G, only ever been given one op-up, i.e. once ONLY in 7 years, does that say something?

Yet I get an op-up from CX around once every 3-4 flights. When taking Dragon Air (their subsidy for flights to China), the cabin manager even comes to my Y seat and said welcome on board nearly everytime. Just some little thing that make one feel a bit more important than treatment by SQ.

In SQ, a G is no body...... I once asked at Changi counter why my colleague on the same fight got upgraded while he was not even a KF member and yet I was not upgraded. The answer given by the lady is that "you are four ranks down and do not even hope"..... she was so rude. Reminiscient of how they see a G member.
Old tired story. I was PPS for 5 years and never got an op-up on an SQ flight. When I flew Y as PPS, I never got the elusive exit row seat or the even more mythical blocked off seat beside mine. I usually didn't get the "Mr Bhoy" personal greeting either.

With the post Aug 2007 enhancements to PPS, I reckon it's good enough being KF Gold anyway. The really critical (for me) bennies are already in Gold - pan-Alliance privileges in lounge access, priority boarding and extra baggage. SQ waitlist priority is/was nice but on work related travel, if my employer needed me to be on an SQ flight, he has ways to make sure that I would be on that flight, regardless of KF status. As for op-ups, if I didn't get them as PPS, I don't think I lost much by being mere Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.