What to expected as *G in SQ Y?

Old Oct 5, 09, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH-SEN
What to expected as *G in SQ Y?

Hi... I'm a LH Senator (*G) and will be flying for the first time on SQ FRA->JFK at the end of the month.

Are there any benefits of being *G on SQ? Better seating, perhaps? I'm used to the exit row on LH, so this would be nice.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old Oct 5, 09, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Star Gold benefits are listed here, and SQ adheres to all of them (even the priority baggage handling!)

Is better seating a *G benefit? If so, you'd better tell *A to update its website... Never mind, you can guarantee an exit row seat in advance by paying for a Preferred Seat

If you are a regular LH traveller, additional (free!) benefits of SQ include one extra inch of seat pitch and seat back AVOD on all 747s, flip down foot rests, amenity kits and amenities in the lavatories, 100% credit on all mileage earning fares, call bells that are answered almost instantaneously, that sort of thing...

Enjoy your flight!

Old Oct 5, 09, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by kt74 View Post
..100% credit on all mileage earning fares, call bells that are answered almost instantaneously, that sort of thing...

Enjoy your flight!

Note that some fares do not earn any mileage at all, on any FFP!

Extra benefits on board as a *G?

Nope.
Old Oct 5, 09, 4:20 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi econprof, the main advantage of being gold and travelling away from your normal carrier is that as a *A Gold you have access to the lounges, even if travelling in Y and you can take a friend/ wife/ husband in with you. The Singapore lounges are the best there in Asia and you will love them, but on board, most of the perks are given to carrier airlines FFs, just the way it is everywhere, regards bkkrop
Old Oct 5, 09, 4:31 pm

Let's not forget:
Priority line when checking in
More allowance (20 kg) for bags
Priority tags
Old Oct 5, 09, 4:54 pm

SQ Baggage check-in time

Hello friends,

Am transitting through SIN later this year. Will arrive SIN on Air Asia early in the morning and my SQ flight departs at night.

Is there anyway that I can check in my baggage with SQ early so that I can get to visit the city during the day?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 5, 09, 5:01 pm

Programs: NZ *G
SQ seem quite keen to extend the published benefits to *Golds... but you ARE restricted to their "*G lounges.".. no entry to the "proper SQ" ones..

In SIN you'll get into the SATS Premier Lounge which is just OK....

Before the Preferred seating charge came in I was offered an exit row on the 380 by the check in agent in SYD.... the flight was pretty empty and I assume it was just a nice gesture to a *G. From now on I'll happily pay the $$ for those seats...
Old Oct 5, 09, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
Hello friends,

Am transitting through SIN later this year. Will arrive SIN on Air Asia early in the morning and my SQ flight departs at night.

Is there anyway that I can check in my baggage with SQ early so that I can get to visit the city during the day?

Many thanks in advance!
Yes you may. Find out which terminal your flight is departing from and go there to do "early check-in".

Then you may either take a cab or the subway to the city.
Old Oct 6, 09, 7:27 am

Thanks for the help!

It's just like the city centre check-in facility in HKG.
Old Oct 6, 09, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by trooper View Post
SQ seem quite keen to extend the published benefits to *Golds... but you ARE restricted to their "*G lounges.".. no entry to the "proper SQ" ones.. In SIN you'll get into the SATS Premier Lounge which is just OK....
The OP's flying to/from FRA, so he'll use the Krisflyer Gold Lounge in T3 instead.

I'm one of many who think that there just isn't all that much difference between the "proper SQ" (SilverKris) and "*G" (Premier/KF Gold) lounges, and that the "non-proper" ones are at times even better (gasp!), but many electrons have been spilled on this topic already...

But yes, once in the air, *G gets you absolutely nothing.
Old Oct 6, 09, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Note that some fares do not earn any mileage at all, on any FFP!
That's why I said "100% on mileage earning fares" - as opposed to 50% or 25% or whatever you get on discounted LH fares

Originally Posted by jpatokal View Post
But yes, once in the air, *G gets you absolutely nothing.
Did I miss something here? Why is that a ""? Since UA abolished *G access to E+, I didn't think *Gs got anything on any *A airline in the air, so why should SQ be any different?
Old Oct 6, 09, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
SFA...nada...you're just another peon relegated to the back of the bus. You can't even get into the real SQ lounges, just he pseudo ones, though they'll let you check in with the business crowd.
Old Oct 7, 09, 5:39 am

Did I miss something here? Why is that a ""? Since UA abolished *G access to E+, I didn't think *Gs got anything on any *A airline in the air, so why should SQ be any different?
The same thought occurs to me when I read posts like the one you quoted. What exactly are *G entitled to across the alliance "once in the air"?

Last edited by jjpb3; Oct 7, 09 at 5:50 am
Old Oct 9, 09, 4:44 am

Most airlines op-up their *Gs every now and then, but SQ makes a point of avoiding this as much as possible.
Old Oct 9, 09, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jpatokal View Post
Most airlines op-up their *Gs every now and then, but SQ makes a point of avoiding this as much as possible.
Correction. Your post should read:
"Most airlines op-up ... every now and then, but SQ makes a point of avoiding this as much as possible."

If SQ doesn't op-up (which stands for "operational upgrade" - duh, like, for "operational" reasons), then how can it op-up *Gs?

Search this Thread