Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PTS going the extra mile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

PTS going the extra mile?

I didn't know PTS could do this and thought I'd share. Sorry if it's info you already know about...

I have a trip to Las Vegas planned in the next few days and called PTS several times requesting a "Tower Suite" but to no avail. I figured they were only sold out to PTS since I knew WynnLasVegas.com was showing availablity.

Maybe every other travel agent I spoke to was just too lazy, but this last one predictably said the room I want wasn't available, called the hotel directly on my behalf, and scored it with the FHR (lower) rate and amenities.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

capacity controls? odd..?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
I've had PTS offer to call hotels before in cases such as you are describing. In one case PTS rep was unable to secure a RC reservation at the FHR rate on the RC website. She actually recommended that I go ahead and book it on line and she would see to it that we got the FHR amenities
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:24 pm

Calling Hotels

I work as a PTS travel agent. Many times, when a hotel is not quite 100% full, but close to it, they block inventory to third party booking sources to prevent overbooking. In those cases, one has to callt he hotel directly to book the room, which we can do. Admittadly, many of us are too lazy to do it, but we often do. You can always ask if the agent doesn't offer it. Also, suites are typically considered specialized tpyes of rooms that have to be booked directly with the hotel. No, to be advised to book online and then try and get FHR amenities is bad advice. The hotel has to be booked with PTS to get those. Sometimes hotels make exceptions, but lately it very hit and miss. The agent in that case should have called the hotel and booked as FHR.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to have you on FT TXTBIRD13 thanks for the info ^

how long have you worked as a PTS agent?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
how long have you worked as a PTS agent?
... and can we PM you from time to time?!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by TXTBIRD13
I work as a PTS travel agent. Many times, when a hotel is not quite 100% full, but close to it, they block inventory to third party booking sources to prevent overbooking. In those cases, one has to callt he hotel directly to book the room, which we can do. Admittadly, many of us are too lazy to do it, but we often do. You can always ask if the agent doesn't offer it. Also, suites are typically considered specialized tpyes of rooms that have to be booked directly with the hotel. No, to be advised to book online and then try and get FHR amenities is bad advice. The hotel has to be booked with PTS to get those. Sometimes hotels make exceptions, but lately it very hit and miss. The agent in that case should have called the hotel and booked as FHR.
Thanks for your insight. Can you explain why The RC website offers the option of booking FHR stays when the conventional wisdom is that these stays should always be made through FHR. As far as I know no other FHR property offers this option through their online booking process.

The case I was speaking of occurred at the RC South Beach and yes we did get the full FHT amenities and were pleased with our stay. This was the only occasion I recall doing it this way.

Last edited by m.photog; Mar 22, 2007 at 8:14 pm
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:53 am

Sure

Anybody can PM me anytime, or leave a msg. I've worked there for about a year and a half. Quite honestly, I probably don't plan on staying long. I want to improve myself, so I can get a Platinum card myself Anyway, regarding the question about the RZ FHR rates being posted on the RZ website, was it listed as an "FHR" rate? The FHR rates at Ritz Carltons are really the same basic rates as what they publish, but just with the amenities. Sometimes a rate will be listed that is lower than the FHR rate. As long as it is not a special package that includes extras like spa, car, food, etc.. we can call Ritz Carlton and they will honor the rate with amenities. Other hotels are a different story. From my experience, the FHR rates are the lowest the majority of the time. Sometimes there are hotels that have promotional rates that undercut the FHR rate, but the amenities will not be extended. We are supposed to offer you the choice. If you are not offered both rate, it is not deception. Unfortunately, different agents have different skill sets.
P.S. there was a post about recent hold times. I'll respond to that on that post. It's interesting what I have to say.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:10 pm
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
for txtbird13 (amex travel employee)

hello and glad to have you on board. i am sure many of us will appreciate getting accurate insights as to why certain things happen and thus better understand the amex product.

i have heard that whatever amex plat/centurion travel agent originates a booking record locater #, gets credit towards their quota alone for that original work and all susbsequent bookings added to that record locater #, regardless if another agent adds additional or even a majority of reservations to an existing record locater #.

in other words if agent A books a simple domestic flight to open a new record locater, and later as the customer figures out additional needed travel, agent B adds an international flight, lots of hotels, cars, etc to that same record locater, agent B gets no credit in terms of their quota, agent A gets credit for all of the work done by both agents in terms of the agents required sales quota.
is this correct or have i been misinformed or????

many thanks
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:55 pm

You are 100% right, but nobody minds much. What comes around comes around. Somebody else may get credit for your work, but then the same happens to you. We don't get individual commission anyway, so it's not that big of an issue.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:31 pm
jsq

for txtbird13

thanks for the quick reply.

i think "who minds" the accountability issue of the system, as designed, are the customers of amex.

my experience is that one travel representative does the initial booking and gets credit for the record locater # origination. then a large percentage of those originating and future representatives seem all to willing to drop the ball. they seem to have little incentive to follow through since the accountability is so indecipherable to their bosses. i am not criticizing the agents who do follow through as promised but it seems many do not follow up with promised return phone calls.

why are many of the travel representatives so poor at returning promised phone calls, and following up on research of fairly basic info on behalf of the customers. is this a system flaw or????

i have had some truly great experience with some representatives, and ...... well, you know where i'm headed, with many other representatives.

thank you for your insight,

regards,

Last edited by jsq; Mar 24, 2007 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:30 pm

Followup/Returning Calls

I'm glad you brought this up. You are right in that when call to service an exisiting reservation, the agen may not sound "thrilled". If it's simply adding a hotel or car rental ot's no big deal. If you are doing something like changing a complicated air itinerary, most agents are not very enthusiastic. It can be cumbersome, and simply not fun. It's our job,so we do it.
Back to poor service regarding returning phonecalls. This has been a big problem latelty. Here's the reason. When ever we are not available to take inbound phone calls, it counts against our productivity. We have very rigid stats that we have to meet. It's sad, but many agents have been forced to become liars. If somebody asks you to call them back, many agents will say yes and give a time frame in case they're monitored. Unless it's a big sale, the reality is that most agents will not call back. Also, we are now discouraged from giving out our extensions. Have you ever asked someone for their extension, and they said they don't have one? It's a lie. We are forced into that position. When calling PTS, it is best if you can do it when you have time to stay on the phone. Of course certain types of travel plans require research and followup, but for routine things try to stay on the phone. Please don't take none of this the wrong way. I am just giving honest insight as to what goes on, and I certainly don't condone the above behaviors.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, we are now discouraged from giving out our extensions.
that makes no sense

i always get the extension if i need to be in contact with the agent.

can you give us any hint at why they would make that a policy? (whether formal or informal)

in my experience, the only time i do not get a call back when i need one (incomplete info / unanswered questions) is when the person i talk to originally is going to pass on my information to someone else / higher up / etc.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:02 pm
jsq

txtbird13

many thanks for your insights and willingness to share. i think most of us are just trying to work more efficiently with the amex travel counselors, making life easier for both parties.

understanding the travel staff issues and the quirks of amex management policy help us work better with amex and its travel counselors. it sounds like some of the management policies make it tough for the travel counselors at times.

your idea of staying on the line till the reservation is as complete as possible is a good suggestion.

thanks for participating and sharing,
regards

Last edited by jsq; Mar 26, 2007 at 7:08 pm
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
thanks for caring and sharing....

Originally Posted by TXTBIRD13
Anybody can PM me anytime, or leave a msg. I've worked there for about a year and a half. Quite honestly, I probably don't plan on staying long. I want to improve myself, so I can get a Platinum card myself Anyway, regarding the question about the RZ FHR rates being posted on the RZ website, was it listed as an "FHR" rate? The FHR rates at Ritz Carltons are really the same basic rates as what they publish, but just with the amenities. Sometimes a rate will be listed that is lower than the FHR rate. As long as it is not a special package that includes extras like spa, car, food, etc.. we can call Ritz Carlton and they will honor the rate with amenities. Other hotels are a different story. From my experience, the FHR rates are the lowest the majority of the time. Sometimes there are hotels that have promotional rates that undercut the FHR rate, but the amenities will not be extended. We are supposed to offer you the choice. If you are not offered both rate, it is not deception. Unfortunately, different agents have different skill sets.
P.S. there was a post about recent hold times. I'll respond to that on that post. It's interesting what I have to say.

TXTBIRD13, I'm very interested to hear about the recent hold times....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.