Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Receiving parcels charge?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Receiving parcels charge?

A friend suggested while in the US (Im from the UK) you can get stuff ordered from amazon sent to the hotel. However, I have just read that the Renaissance in LV charge $10 per parcel. Anyone know if this will be the same charge at the JW Marriott LV as I'll be there soon and already ordered stuff. If I will be charged $10 a box I will have to cancel.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: UAL MM, MR Life Plat, HH Silver, Hertz Prez , and many entry level
Originally Posted by COOLIO
A friend suggested while in the US (Im from the UK) you can get stuff ordered from amazon sent to the hotel. However, I have just read that the Renaissance in LV charge $10 per parcel. Anyone know if this will be the same charge at the JW Marriott LV as I'll be there soon and already ordered stuff. If I will be charged $10 a box I will have to cancel.
I spend close to 200 nights in Marriotts per year, and have stuff shipped to the hotels all the time. I have NEVER been charged a "delivery fee" for any package. Ever. I would have refused to pay it if they had tried, and let them deal with the implications, by stating to the store I purchased from that I never received it.

You should complain formally to Marriott and Renaissance management, and demand they refund your $10.

Steve
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Do you have a home?

It wasnt me who stayed at the Ren, it was mentioned in the Ren LV thread in this forum. Thanks for your reassurance, Im staying at the JW and we stayed there last yr and they were top notch then as well, cannot wait
Old Sep 22, 2005, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I usually am faced with this type of charge when I boxes mailed to my hotel with items needed for a convention. I've paid the ridiculous fees on those occasions ...
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:01 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I usually am faced with this type of charge when I boxes mailed to my hotel with items needed for a convention. I've paid the ridiculous fees on those occasions ...
Agreed... LARGE Las Vegas hotels with huge convention service facilities seem to have this 'special' department.. convention services. These people manage the conventions .. and yes ship and recieve packages. It may be called a Business Center at some hotels.

I shipped two boxes to the Bellagio and had about $25 charged to my hotel room account for the 'reciept and storeage' of the packages. Yup, convention materials .. and they get ya coming and going.

Other cities ... may not have such charges. some hotels may not chage either . but I think it is pretty common in LAS to do this. Besides they think it is just another business expense we will accept!

Not much other option .. I assume you are getting the packages in the US due to the lower costs in the US (and possibly duty issues) so this is 'part of doing business' I should think!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 4:24 pm

I consider the hotel my residence for the duration of my stay. And as such I expect to receive full service all the way from housekeeping to the concierge...

What next? The hotel will charge us for receiving a telephone call and having it transferred to my room

I have never had a problem with receiving a parcel and never been charged for it either. Now, if someone brings it to my room I absolutely tip them ^
Old Sep 23, 2005, 6:28 pm

Programs: UAL MM, MR Life Plat, HH Silver, Hertz Prez , and many entry level
Originally Posted by imverge
I have never had a problem with receiving a parcel and never been charged for it either. Now, if someone brings it to my room I absolutely tip them ^
That statement I absolutely agree with. But a receiving and storage fee? Store it in the room I'm already paying for by the square foot....
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by sparker
That statement I absolutely agree with. But a receiving and storage fee? Store it in the room I'm already paying for by the square foot....
Absolutely!! ^
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:18 am

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by imverge
Absolutely!! ^
I think the reasoning goes something like this..."we know that the official show contractor would charge you $25-$35 to receive a package on the show floor...we know you are trying to beat the system by having things sent to the hotel to bypass those charges...so why don't we charge you for the priviledge..."

Unfortunately, that thinking is very shortsighted...and the hotels that spring those types of charges on me are hotels I don't stay at in the future.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:23 am
RTG

Programs: SWA - DL - Diamond - 1MM, A List, Marriott - Plat - Lifetime, AmEx - Plat, AAA, Avis - Preferred
If it is a convention center and they are large convention materials, I can see it, but if it is a box of personaly stuff (not a crate) I would refuse to pay. Or have a conversation with the GM and explain to him that you will pay and promptly check out and send a letter to Mr. Marriott. I stayed at Marriott properties 220 nights last year and had a number of strange requests and I have never been charged (or at least out of line).
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Servicing

What next? The hotel will charge us for receiving a telephone call and having it transferred to my room
That's what tips are for!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by sparker
I spend close to 200 nights in Marriotts per year, and have stuff shipped to the hotels all the time. I have NEVER been charged a "delivery fee" for any package. Ever. I would have refused to pay it if they had tried, and let them deal with the implications, by stating to the store I purchased from that I never received it.

You should complain formally to Marriott and Renaissance management, and demand they refund your $10.
Likewise. Respectfully, that is bulldada.

I have shipped boxes of items to myself, care of Marriott properties at the beginning of long-term assignments (where I check in for months at a time and don't check out until the conclusion of the project), and I have never once been charged such a fee.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Like many others, I have stayed at Marriott "one or two nights a year" ;-) and get pkgs all of the time. Several GMs have told me that official Marriott policy is: no charge to to receive or hold packages that are NOT for conventions or meetings (so long as they're of manageable size, etc.) but that hotels can, at their discretion, charge for convention or meeting related items. Out of curioisity, I asked one GM how they determine the difference between personal and meeting items, and he said it was based on where the pkg was delivered or picked up: delivery to a guest room or pickup at the bell stand or front desk is considered personal, anything else is considered to be for a meeting.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
A few years ago, I had a stay at the Williamsburg, VA Marriott. Upon checkout, I wanted to put some letters in the mail, which by the way already had stamps on them. They were just bills; nothing really important. The person behind the desk informed me that it would cost $2 to mail the letters. I was of course taken aback and refused. Had I not been in a rush, I would have made a scene just out out of principle! It really put a damper on my opinion of that place.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well I've never been charged to mail letters/bills that already had postage on them!

But I have (at dif locations & across dif chains, so not unique to Marriott) been charged a fee for receiving/storing packages (even if small in size). It really varies, but I think is more common in convention locations. 99% of the time in my case it actually was for convention stuff, not personal.

One time I got a customs fee charged to my room at the AMS Marriott. Client didn't do paperwork properly & had marked CDs. Customs thought it was music instead of press kit CDs (ie, the latter having no 'value'). I was just grateful the hotel accepted package & paid customs rather than refusing (I didn't arrive until 2 days later), as it would have been a problem not to have the CDs during press mtgs.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.