Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 787 First Class Review - Fair and Reasonable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2024, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/GfL/CCR,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Starwood Titanium, Delta Gold, United

Here's a review of First from Runway Girl Network (founded by respected Aviation Journalist Mary Kirby)

It highlights issues which many of us may have experienced including:

- Grubby seats and surrounding areas needing a good clean
- Indifferent / robotic crew
- Poor catering

Link here:

First Class Review

Some comments which, I think, BA lurkers might find interesting too. I vote for better tea bags and headphones too. For instance:

"The warning flag signalled more: the seat was dirty, worn and its surrounds were banged up. If there was a crevice, it was full of grime. If there was a surface, it was dusty. If there was a high-touch area, it was dented, chipped or scratched. Even areas that could hardly be considered high-touch — the casing around the inflight entertainment screen, for example — were chipped."

I hope that New First will address some of this, but, given the existing First will be around for years there's some hints for quick fixes that don't cost the earth.

Thoughts?
the810, ttama, mnhusker and 2 others like this.

Last edited by golfmad; May 26, 2024 at 10:20 am Reason: Fixed for Dark Mode viewers
Old May 26, 2024, 10:37 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
One thing BA could and should fix is the cleaning. My last F trip from JFK, the seat was covered in crumbs, as was the footrest. It was as if someone had eaten a croissant after the seat had been cleaned.

I also think BA is suffering from a lack of experienced cabin crew in F.

Other things like the food and wine? I guess its a question of how much we would accept an increase in fare. Standards have dropped, I agree, but prices for F can also be very reasonable.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Seems a pretty reasonable review. The first menu usually does seem to be the same as Club, just with better adjectives and the food served on better tableware.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Strange about no Champagne as a PDB. Is that a Newark thing? I definitely had the good stuff on ground, JFK-LHR in F, in late March.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
The author is forever complaining about BA on Twitter. Yet still flys with them on a regular basis.

Make of that what you will.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
That is not comfortable reading for BA.
ohmark, Airways45, bafan and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Greg66
That is not comfortable reading for BA.
To be honest hes very picky, his article on should we fly to Newcastle then ..... as its a bus gate and BA forget to load his sandwich.

Clesrly for people with onward connections from Heathrow its not prudent to get the train down when theres a flight.. Inhad a very meh experience in F from MFK pre Covid enough to make me think actually Im happy with Business. Fast forward a few years grounded by a serious illness and being cleared again in the sale I got a couple of F bargains and I have F F flights within a month. Ive seen the reviews here and on Facebook groups and You Tube and it seems to be consistently a lot better. So Im very much looking forward to my trips. Will I be an F conver? Who knows.
Markie, Airways45 and timma1971 like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
I have never found BA cabin crew to be robotic tbh, whatever their other failings.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
The author lost me when he lacked the imagination or wit to come up with a better headline than subpar business class in reference to BA F; it isnt.

It is however a tired and lazy trope to claim that it is. Neither fair nor reasonable reporting.
Markie, ijgordon, seanp7 and 4 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/GfL/CCR,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Starwood Titanium, Delta Gold, United
Originally Posted by krispy84
I have never found BA cabin crew to be robotic tbh, whatever their other failings.
Haven't you found some to be going through the motions? Robotic might not be the right word, but it was trying to convey formulaic and less personal.
ttama, TheJayHatch and Ramos like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
The author lost me when he lacked the imagination or wit to come up with a better headline than subpar business class in reference to BA F; it isnt.

It is however a tired and lazy trope to claim that it is. Neither fair nor reasonable reporting.
I'm used to BA First being described as the World's Best Business Class. However, with improvements at other airlines in Business Class, this is a tired and lazy phrase too
Old May 26, 2024, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Airways45
Here's a review of First from Runway Girl Network (founded by respected Aviation Journalist Mary Kirby)

It highlights issues which many of us may have experienced including:

- Grubby seats and surrounding areas needing a good clean
- Indifferent / robotic crew
- Poor catering

Link here:

First Class Review

Some comments which, I think, BA lurkers might find interesting too. I vote for better tea bags and headphones too. For instance:

"The warning flag signalled more: the seat was dirty, worn and its surrounds were banged up. If there was a crevice, it was full of grime. If there was a surface, it was dusty. If there was a high-touch area, it was dented, chipped or scratched. Even areas that could hardly be considered high-touch the casing around the inflight entertainment screen, for example were chipped."

I hope that New First will address some of this, but, given the existing First will be around for years there's some hints for quick fixes that don't cost the earth.

Thoughts?
Well, its all about expectations isnt it? I think of First as relative instead of absolute.
In other words, we all know BA First isnt going to get you the most luxurious experience in the skies. But it will generally be better than Club, which is better than WTP, which is better than WT.
If the reviewer wants something genuinely luxurious for his points, we can all list the various options.
Im not sure this review adds a great deal to whats already known on the subject
Airways45, Ramos, mnhusker and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
a dirty, beat up old seat with low-quality catering, middling soft product, and an experience that in its entirety lacked any first class flair.

Although the authors experience is diametrically opposite to my one and only first return in recent times, their comments, allowing for dramatic flair, match the documented experience. We all experience bad equipment, bad crews, bad catering, they seem to have hit the trifecta.
Airways45 and mnhusker like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
When the author writes “I wanted so much to love British Airways first class” not sure I believe them….
Old May 26, 2024, 2:05 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I agree that the author seems to have made up their mind before taking the flight, and I will say that the criticism cleanliness and wear on the hard product seems valid, in my opinion, especially for a sub 10 year old plane. The whole question of doors is 'meh' for me as I don't enjoy cubicles with doors (I'm not talking SQ suites here). For soft product crews are hit and miss on any airline.

What I think this exposes is that as J products are getting better and better the delta between J & F is as small as it has ever been and getting smaller. As much as I really enjoyed my experience on LH-F (747-8) it was last-minute points deal and I don't see the value in paying more for F versus J, even if someone else is paying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.