Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Multiple injuries due to turbulence (QR17-DOH-DUB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2024, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium

Just happened a few hours ago.
Sounds awful, I guess that QR didn't learn anything from SQ.
I am not surprised, as I took this same flight a few days ago and had turbulence as well. No attempt to find smooth air.
Service in Biz was abysmal as well.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0526/1451323-airport-dublin-turbulence/
Michaeljinnyc likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
I guess that QR didn't learn anything from SQ/
It reads like this was another incidence of clear air turbulence. It has been widely reported that flight crew can't see that coming. If they had seen turbulence coming then all airlines would put the seat belt signs on. In my experience they all seem a bit over cautious about that. And sometimes the way around the worst of it is still very bumpy. None of us has any way of knowing what the flight crew have done to mitigate the problem.

Best wishes to all injured.

Realistically, what do you expect airlines to learn, other than no service when the seat belt signs are on (which the article says they weren't). Or possibly no service at all, which of course would make the in flight offering even worse than you felt it was?
wrp96, pinkibone, Lefly and 5 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute
It reads like this was another incidence of clear air turbulence. It has been widely reported that flight crew can't see that coming. If they had seen turbulence coming then all airlines would put the seat belt signs on.

Best wishes to all injured.

Realistically, what do you expect airlines to learn, other than no service when the seat belt signs are on (which the article says they weren't). Or possibly no service at all, which of course would make the in flight offering even worse than you felt it was?
I don't buy that it is CAT. The SQ flight was definitely not CAT, so people claiming that are clueless (CNN recently confirmed the turbulence on SQ321 was due to "developing thunderstorms"). That intensity of turbulence only comes from cells, period.

These carriers that fly over less populated regions at night (aka hard to see what's below) should be operating with the radar on at all times. If we get that level of detail from the SQ321 investigation, at least, we will know if pilot training/ops needs to be adjusted by these carriers.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Ativantage
If we get that level of detail from the SQ321 investigation, at least, we will know if pilot training/ops needs to be adjusted by these carriers.
If there are conclusive findings from the SQ (and this) investigation that recommend changes to standard operations then all carriers, rather than just "these carriers", will be obligated to implement them. Probably best to wait for the experts on this one.
SKT-DK, Kgmm77, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute
If there are conclusive findings from the SQ (and this) investigation that recommend changes to standard operations then all carriers, rather than just "these carriers", will be obligated to implement them. Probably best to wait for the experts on this one.
Absolutely.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:53 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5117ev8n7xo

Some detail here suggests the turbulence happened over Turkey, and like the SQ flight also during a meal service.

And again it seems some people weren't wearing seatbelts (even ignoring the fact it was a meal service – the BBC report quotes someone who says she was asleep).
Old May 26, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
8 people require hospital treatment, but the flight continues for a couple of hours after the incident (Turkey - Dublin is about 4 hours or so) without medical diversion .
SEA777GUY, timtamw and chacor like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:22 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

The only thing to learn from SQ is to keep your seatbelt fastened at all times in your seat.
seanp7, SKT-DK, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by chacor
Some detail here suggests the turbulence happened over Turkey, and like the SQ flight also during a meal service.
This is something I noticed while reading this. QR usually doesn't have meal times, as most is on demand. From a crew standpoint this would be a risk, as there is less downtime for the crew and someone is always up and running at most times. SQ has fixed times, for for SQ it would be easier to say "you get your dinner going up the Mallacca straits, but in monsoon season you need to be done by the Cobar Island, or some such restrictions.

I write this in a half silly mood, but we've seen stranger rules come up from accidents in aviation.

-A
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
QR usually doesn't have meal times, as most is on demand.
They do have meal times, just not in F or J.
IAN-UK, DYKWIA, florin and 4 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
No attempt to find smooth air.
What makes you think that?

On your flight, perhaps. I was on this flight a couple of days ago and the service was excellent (in business).

These carriers that fly over less populated regions at night (aka hard to see what's below) should be operating with the radar on at all times.
You think that they don't?
Old May 26, 2024, 10:21 pm

Programs: QR Gold
No attempt to find smooth air.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0526/14...in-turbulence/
Am not sure if this is a joke or not. Attempt to find smooth air??
Old May 26, 2024, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

These carriers that fly over less populated regions at night (aka hard to see what's below)
It's "hard to see what's below" at noon when flying at 41,000 feet.
SKT-DK, wrp96 and :D! like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
My "no attempt to find smooth air" comment was that we stayed at 36k the entire flight. Sure, they might have been told by ATC that there was no better option.
Just an observation
Old May 27, 2024, 2:45 am

This would not have made the news if it wasn’t for the SIA news last week.
SKT-DK, PLeblond and babyg_wc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.