Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Multiple injuries due to turbulence (QR17-DOH-DUB)

Multiple injuries due to turbulence (QR17-DOH-DUB)

Old May 28, 2024, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by kahuna1993
It seems that QR flight was on level 38 and turbulence / upset happened after Emirates A 380 overtook this flight while A380 was on level 40 and at higher speed ...
Could this be another incident where QR did not offset its track enough and went into wake turbulence of Emirates flight which caused unexpected turbulence ?
I was on the same flight last week. It's a 789. I assure you that no 789 is cruising at flight level 38, nor are any 380s cruising at flight level 40.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 6:04 am

Programs: HH diamond(yr 16, >922 nights ), AA Gld for life (1MM),M&M FTL , Sixt platinum; IATA DTTF
QR 17 and flight level

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I was on the same flight last week. It's a 789. I assure you that no 789 is cruising at flight level 38, nor are any 380s cruising at flight level 40.
Please check on 'flightaware ' and you can confirm yourself : flight-levels of several QR17 trips going higher than 12000 meters ,today top of flight up to 12192 meters or 40000 feet !

Maybe your flight remained lower but I have had several 789 trips at 40000 feet during top of flight ...
PLeblond likes this.

Last edited by kahuna1993; May 28, 2024 at 6:09 am
Old May 28, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
The FlightRadar24 playback of the QR17 flight in question showed cruising at FL360 over Turkey.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:22 pm

As a data point, todays flight to Londin we have some light turbulance over Turkey and Eastern Europe, however the pilot had put on the seatbelt signs early and left on for an extended period. Later I spoke to the supervisor and in general chitchat she mentioned they now needed to be more protective and were told to stop all service in turbulance where as prior they may have done light service. Seems other airlines may take a similar approach but I guess it comes down to the plane type, an A380 is less likely to feel turbulance then a 777
Old May 28, 2024, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Originally Posted by kahuna1993
Please check on 'flightaware ' and you can confirm yourself : flight-levels of several QR17 trips going higher than 12000 meters ,today top of flight up to 12192 meters or 40000 feet !

Maybe your flight remained lower but I have had several 789 trips at 40000 feet during top of flight ...
40,000 feet is FL 400, not 40.
wrp96 and chacor like this.
Old May 29, 2024, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by florin
Back in my TATL flying days, there was a notable difference in the attitude towards the seatbelt sign on US compared to EU carriers. It was very uncomfortable to have to hold it in forever and eventually having to make a run for the toilet while the seatbelt sign was still on. I mentioned this to a US-based pilot and they said to me they were doing it to avoid being sued (if turbulence did happen, having the seatbelt sign on eliminated any liability on their part.) I don't know of any agreement they have with the crew; maybe you know something that I don't... I hope you are not speculating.

In Y the lavatories : pax ratio is low, and AFAIK the regs require total number of lavs / total number of pax, rather than for each section. Then you get the "rushes", usually after meals, when EVERYBODY goes to the loo. Of course, keeping the seatbelt sign on forever will cause more toilet rushes. Maybe there is a better way to manage this - stay seated until your number is called, like at the DMV 😄
I've head that about US based pilots too, all about liability. It's always an issue for passengers because you might not know when real danger is coming when forced to ignore the sign. vs. them only using it when they are aware of upcoming turbulence, also can put you into contention with some flight crew trying to enforce it but I think most are fairly understanding. As for convenience of the flight crews, that has been a common accusation I've seen that flight crews don't want to be bothered letting people around the cart to go to the toilets during service, so some captains keep the sign on... I don't know there's any fact behind it, just from people's observations about the timing of the light going on and off on some carriers.

I've never noticed QR pilots overusing the seat belt sign thankfully, but I have noticed a lot of passengers sitting in their seats with seatbelts dangling towards the floor. That's certainly not limited to QR though, and something I don't appreciate because in a bad turbulence incident like this, that unbuckled person could be the one to hit the ceiling then come down to break mine or someone else's neck. I don't know the FA's can do much more though about that without circling back to the US carrier problem of overuse of seat belt signs, but more awareness of the consequences would be good in safety videos.
Old May 29, 2024, 6:44 pm

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Not sure if already posted here but there is one video showing the aftermath of the cabin in economy just right after it happened.

Cabin looks horrendous as it all happened either during meal service / when they were collecting trays it appears - in the video one visibly distressed FA appears to have hit his head on the ceiling and landed on a passengers lap couple rows behind the meal cart. Details on IFE matches the flight details so definitely a credible video.
Old May 30, 2024, 11:47 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by nomadabroad
Not sure if already posted here but there is one video showing the aftermath of the cabin in economy just right after it happened.

Cabin looks horrendous as it all happened either during meal service / when they were collecting trays it appears - in the video one visibly distressed FA appears to have hit his head on the ceiling and landed on a passengers lap couple rows behind the meal cart. Details on IFE matches the flight details so definitely a credible video.
I don't think there was a video for this incident. If you meant the A330 video, where the chairs are green and cabin looks very messy, it was another case of turbulence with an ex-Oman Air aircraft.
Old May 31, 2024, 1:32 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by QatarA340
I don't think there was a video for this incident. If you meant the A330 video, where the chairs are green and cabin looks very messy, it was another case of turbulence with an ex-Oman Air aircraft.
I'm afraid there is an Instagram video doing the rounds. It has Chinese branding and very over the top editing. Some of the passengers have their faces blurred but the crew do not, which in my view is intrusive and unfair. Particularly to the injured crew member who ended up on the arm rest of one seat. I take this route all the time and hear that the crew were excellent. They patched each other up, helped the passengers who needed help and carried on. Very professional and deserving of praise.
Old May 31, 2024, 2:42 am

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by QatarA340
there is definitely one indeed taken and uploaded by a passenger, the Y seat details matches the 789 cabin, the flight details showing on the IFE screen matches as well (DOH-DUB, local time at origin = 9:26 AM; ground speed = 526mph; altitude = 36001 ft; time to destination = 5h37m; local time at destination = 7:26am)
Old Jun 1, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Grantosol
I'm afraid there is an Instagram video doing the rounds. It has Chinese branding and very over the top editing. Some of the passengers have their faces blurred but the crew do not, which in my view is intrusive and unfair. Particularly to the injured crew member who ended up on the arm rest of one seat. I take this route all the time and hear that the crew were excellent. They patched each other up, helped the passengers who needed help and carried on. Very professional and deserving of praise.
Originally Posted by nomadabroad
there is definitely one indeed taken and uploaded by a passenger, the Y seat details matches the 789 cabin, the flight details showing on the IFE screen matches as well (DOH-DUB, local time at origin = 9:26 AM; ground speed = 526mph; altitude = 36001 ft; time to destination = 5h37m; local time at destination = 7:26am)
Yes, I did see that video actually on tiktok (I still do not use how to use TikTok properly, but my brother sent me a link). Seemed like a very nasty bit of turbulence and during meal services. It says 5:37 left which means would have been over Iraq.
I agree the crew deserve praise for their efforts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.