Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Madrid or Paris to Tokyo - never given the direct option

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Was exploring London to Tokyo with Avios, and came across a comment on Reddit saying "book from Madrid". So I searched (on the BA "book with Avios" page) for Madrid to Tokyo. This gave no direct route, but did give an option via Paris. OK... please search Paris to Tokyo. Again, no direct route, and this time the option was via Madrid! I think the Paris route was JAL, and the Madrid route was Iberia.

What is going on there? How do I have a chance of finding availability for a popular route? SeatSpy only shows BA metal, and is very limited for anything not originating in the UK.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think IB have started flying direct from MAD (yet). Check their schedule and then search for days you know they are due to fly. It's also quite possible they haven't/won't release any Avios seats.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I don't think IB have started flying direct from MAD (yet). Check their schedule and then search for days you know they are due to fly. It's also quite possible they haven't/won't release any Avios seats.
It showed the option ("4 seats left" kind of thing) on the search. I used March or April 2025 dates. Either way, I was not able to get it to show me a direct option via Paris, either.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrothlis
It showed the option ("4 seats left" kind of thing) on the search. I used March or April 2025 dates. Either way, I was not able to get it to show me a direct option via Paris, either.
Not sure what you mean by a direct option via Paris? Direct means MAD-HND/NRT on the same plane.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Not sure what you mean by a direct option via Paris? Direct means MAD-HND/NRT on the same plane.
Search From: Paris (All), To: Tokyo (All), Result = "Paris - Madrid - Tokyo"
Search From: Madrid (All), To: Tokyo (All), Result = "Madrid - Paris - Tokyo"

Neither option ever resulted in a direct route, i.e. "Paris - Tokyo" or "Madrid - Tokyo".
Old May 6, 2024, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds like a married segment issue where the direct isn't available but they will sell via another point. I'm well out of date on the nuances of this, however.
etiene and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I can find plenty of Y and PE seats direct from CDG on JL via ba.com. Wed 19 March for example. Do select the without stopover option.
Old May 6, 2024, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
That sounds like a married segment issue where the direct isn't available but they will sell via another point. I'm well out of date on the nuances of this, however.
Pretty sure it would be this, but I'm surprised to see that on the MAD-CDG-TYO option because it's across two carriers [not that they couldn't do that, I just wouldn't expect them to bother].
Old May 6, 2024, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Actually I can find plenty of Y and PE seats direct from CDG on JL via ba.com. Wed 19 March for example. Do select the without stopover option.
Huh, you are right! This is what I find so frustrating about booking with Avios, it's so difficult!
Old May 6, 2024, 7:04 am

Last year, we flew from Paris to Taipei on Cathay.

Sounds reasonable, right? It's what we did this year, too. However, the route out was Paris -> Amsterdam -> Hong Kong -> Taipei. The first leg was on Air France (all on the Cathay ticket). I tried all sorts of permutations to beat that price and failed. Airline ticket pricing is a dark art.
Old May 6, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This is called "married segments" and is very common for airlines.

It is because JAL is not prepared to offer you award seats for CDG-TYO or MAD-TYO direct (as most likely JAL expects to be able to sell the seats as revenue), however, to attract pax from other countries/markets JAL will be prepared to sell you MAD-CDG-TYO or CDG-MAD-TYO. I agree that in your situation it makes little sense (when JAL has direct flights from MAD and CDG).

Just book the indirect itinerary; hope for a schedule chance or cancellation and then req. (invol) rebooking to the direct flight to TYO.
adrianlondon and jrothlis like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
This is called "married segments" and is very common for airlines.

It is because JAL is not prepared to offer you award seats for CDG-TYO or MAD-TYO direct (as most likely JAL expects to be able to sell the seats as revenue), however, to attract pax from other countries/markets JAL will be prepared to sell you MAD-CDG-TYO or CDG-MAD-TYO. I agree that in your situation it makes little sense (when JAL has direct flights from MAD and CDG).
Thank you, makes sense (well it doesn't really, but you know what I mean!)
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.