Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JFK-LHR late night departure flight CW meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I need to purchase a ticket from JFK to LHR (luckily in CW), and it looks like BA operates quite a lot of evening departure flights on this route out of JFK.
I generally prefer late night departures over early evening departures due to late work hours, but I am wondering whether the meal service will be the same.
Does BA provide a full meal service on late night departure flights, or would it be a lighter meal at that time?
I do enjoy having a nice meal on a plane, so I'm willing to take an earlier flight if the meal service will be better on an earlier flight.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
You can get a full meal regardless. Several threads on here on why that's good or bad for such a short flight; FT search is your friend. Book you preferred times...
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Yes, you get a full meal on all the flights.
On the later ones, many people may go straight to sleep and skip the meal.
A good side effect of this is that the service can be very quick and you get your meal and more time to sleep.
You can request an express option too - with starter and dessert and drink all served on the tray at once, if you don't want the full works.
There is also food in the lounge pre-departure.
Old May 5, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by agjil
Hello,

I need to purchase a ticket from JFK to LHR (luckily in CW), and it looks like BA operates quite a lot of evening departure flights on this route out of JFK.
I generally prefer late night departures over early evening departures due to late work hours, but I am wondering whether the meal service will be the same.
Does BA provide a full meal service on late night departure flights, or would it be a lighter meal at that time?
I do enjoy having a nice meal on a plane, so I'm willing to take an earlier flight if the meal service will be better on an earlier flight.
You may feel rushed then on a later service as I find the crew tend to follow customer demand and deliver a pacier service on late night flights. An earlier flight also means earlier arrival (and longer day to get through) but if you enjoy the full service done properly Id go for an earlier flight or consider the day flight.
Old May 5, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
BA182 is definitely not one you want to be on, as most people go straight to be especially on that one.
Old May 5, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Don’t even think about wasting valuable sleep time eating and drinking on the plane.

Best advice is to eat a light meal in the lounge and get your head down as soon as the seat belt lights are turned off.

If you’re lucky, you’ll get 5 hours sleep.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll go with an earlier flight per your advice.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by wb1969
Dont even think about wasting valuable sleep time eating and drinking on the plane.
Depends if you can sleep on a plane. I struggle, even in J. I find those Club Suite seats to be too cramped if you sleep on your side and it's so hard to get properly under the blanket due to the lack of space.

But, yes, I'd make sure I was on an early evening flight over a later flight. I once boarded a 7.30pm flight only for it to be delayed on the tarmac for 2 hours. By the time it was in the air it was well after 10pm before they served food - very frustrating both in terms of eating late, digestion and getting sleep after.
Old May 6, 2024, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Foofighter69
BA182 is definitely not one you want to be on, as most people go straight to be especially on that one.
I would take BA182 any day. Get fed and watered in the lounge (don't eat too much) and go straight to sleep after take-off/skip dinner onboard; breakfast is served before landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.