Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Complimentary Lounge Invites - Access to domestic biz instead of Qantas Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Complimentary Lounge Invites - Access to domestic biz instead of Qantas Club?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi champs!

I have a few complimentary lounge invites (general) that I want to use on an upcoming flight booking HBA-MEL return. My outbound flight is JQ, returning QF, booked via Qantas as classic reward seats
I was able to correctly link the lounge invite to the outbound JQ flight, but there is nowhere on the web portal that shows an option to link the invite to the returning QF flight. I believe this is probably because the web portal doesn't like the fact that it's a mixed booking with the first flight being JQ instead of QF.
I phoned the Qantas call center who told me that the reason I couldn't link the invite was that the Qantas Club in Melbourne was still closed. However my understanding was that people who would normally be able to access the Qantas Club would be able to access the Domestic Business lounge instead. Can anybody confirm if this doesn't apply to complimentary invites?

I'm a little dubious on how well informed the Qantas rep was, she also told me that even business class travellers couldn't access the lounge because it's closed "per the website" - but the website definitely says the MEL domestic biz lounge is open.

Can anybody confirm if I should be able to use this complimentary invite for lounge access in MEL at this point in time?

Cheers!
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...o-lounges.html
<snip>
Eligibility
Lounge access eligibility conditions apply.
  • Due to State and Territory specific restrictions on indoor gatherings, there is a limit on the number of customers in a lounge at any one time. When the lounge has reached capacity, it will temporarily be closed and you and your guest/s will be invited to return at a specific time once capacity is expected to ease, depending on upcoming flight departures.
  • If a Qantas Club lounge is closed and a Business lounge is open in that same airport, you’ll be able to access the Business lounge if capacity limits haven’t been met.
Following the easing of travel and venue capacity restrictions and as flight schedules increase, we look forward to welcoming more customers into our lounges.
<snip>
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...igibility.html

<snip>
Complimentary Lounge passesIf you have received a complimentary lounge invitation, ensure you've linked your pass to your flight at least 24 hours before departure to ensure smooth access to the lounge. To link your pass, log in to the Complimentary Invitations Portal, click the Lounge Invitation link, and then follow the prompts.

Once the pass has been linked to your booking, you'll receive a confirmation email. To access the lounge, present the email along with your boarding pass at the lounge entrance. You can access the lounge once check-in for your flight opens until when your flight starts boarding.
<snip>
Enjoy the lounges
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Enjoy the lounges
Cheers! I had read those conditions before so that's definitely my understanding. Having that confirmed by other flyers is helpful.

The problem is that since the website won't let me link the invite, I need to convince the call centre folks that I'm entitled to access - as much "ammo" as possible will hopefully be helpful when I call back.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

So, update on this. I've just been on the phone again and was told that complimentary passes aren't being permitted - only Gold, Platinum, Platinum One, and Qantas Club Members plus people flying business class.
Can any flyers confirm if they have or have not been able to use the lounge in Melbourne with a complimentary invite since the COVID restrictions came in?
Old Mar 16, 2021, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not what the QF web site shows
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...s.html#lounges
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...igibility.html
https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...vitations.html
Notice:

Some domestic Qantas lounges in Australia have reopened following the easing of travel and venue capacity restrictions in select states and territories. Temporary measures are in place including physical distancing requirements and lounge capacity limits. Once linked to an Eligible Flight, Complimentary Lounge Invitations are accepted, subject to capacity at the time of your visit. Eligible lounges will be shown when linking an invitation. Remember to check our airport service changes page for the most up-to-date information on lounge openings and updates.
(red is the colour on the QF web site)

Worth an email to Qantas Frequent Flyer <[email protected]>
And lodging a claim with Airline Advocate

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 16, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:21 am

Hi folks, any update on this?

I'm also unable to find my MEL-OOL flight in the lounge invitation management page. I have two Qantas Club invitations expiring in July that I would very much like to use for this trip.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
MEL aren't taking lounge passes at the moment despite the Qantas Club now being open.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:42 am

What's the reason given by Qantas for the MEL Club Lounge not taking lounge passes? Doesn't that negate the whole concept of Points Club then?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:35 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by kamb1ng
What's the reason given by Qantas for the MEL Club Lounge not taking lounge passes? Doesn't that negate the whole concept of Points Club then?
It may be to maintain legislated separation between people - for example the expected numbers of people even before guest passes are considered cause the lounge(s) to run at mandated capacity.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:52 am

Response from Qantas:

Please be advised that currently, Melbourne Lounge is not accepting complimentary lounge passes. Due to Government restrictions, they can only accommodate up to 50 PAX. In line with this, we cannot link your complimentary lounge invitation, members need to log in to qantas.com/freeloungeinvite to do the linking in 24 to 48 hours before the flight. We truly apologise for this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 7:40 am

MEL-OOL flight showed up a few days ago in the lounge invitation management page and I was able to link my invites to the flight.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by madrooster
MEL aren't taking lounge passes at the moment despite the Qantas Club now being open.
Yep - this happened to me when I was flying to Perth a week and a half ago - was told the same thing. I'm chatting to QANTAS on twitter about it - they should have sent an email to members informing us of this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:03 am

My Tuesday flight Perth-Melbourne now not showing on the link invitations page. Maybe that's due to the current 3-day lockdown, but nothing anywhere on their web pages mentions that, and I have received no emails from QANTAS about it either.

This is really lousy customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.