Wiki Posts
Search

LAS or LAX To LHR? Advice Please.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

LAS or LAX To LHR? Advice Please.

Based out of LAS and need some advice. MODS please move/merge thread if this should be placed elsewhere.

I need to get back to London to see family after a couple of deaths in the family in the last few weeks. I am open as to when I go so was thinking September. Looking at ba.com they are showing the two daily flights direct to LHR and LGW. I assume the LGW will not happen so surprised to see it as bookable. Do people think the LHR flight will still run, or am I better off booking from LAX?

Normally, I book VS in premium but will avoid them given their current situation and the way they have dicked people about with their refunds. I also have a $400 AA credit so was thinking I could book a codeshare via AA, as this will probably be my only chance anytime soon to use it.

Lastly, am I right in thinking that the WT+ seat is much better on the 787 than the 777? The 787 seems to be running from LAX on the dates I was looking.

Thanking you in advanced for your advice/thoughts.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
LAX to LHR is currently the only reliable service option, I can't see anything else running. The LGW service to LAS is beyond aspirational at both ends. There may be a case to book it, knowing you will be moved anyway -but that brings a number of uncertainties to the game. You would need to self isolate on arrival in the UK for 14 days, however going to a funeral is one of the exceptions for the day in question, there is a long list of rules for funerals in the different parts of the UK, some locally derived.

The WTP seat on the 787 is pretty good in my view, particularly for day time flights, but the sides of the seat are non moveable. If you knew for sure that the WT cabin wasn't full - and typically they are not - then you would get multi seat occupancy, particularly sat nearer the back. Ideally you would go WT on a low loaded service from LAX to LHR, and WTP back to the USA.
senor hamachi and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Firstly, sorry for your loss!

As another Las Vegas resident I'd say that it's highly unlikely in my opinion that there will be any direct BA flights from LAS to London in September. In terms of getting back to the UK you'd probably be looking to fly either via LAX or ORD or DFW. Given the $400 credit you have with AA I'd probably be looking to not only book with them but also fly with them. If you can fly with AA on their 777W aircraft then I'd probably choose Premium Economy with AA over WT+ with BA, and the fact that AA are also serving hot food instead of just a boxed up picnic is something to bear in mind too.

The only downside at the moment is that schedules are all over the place with very few direct flights meaning you'd need to fly through an AA hub to get to most places. LAX does now have some direct flights, as do DFW and ORD but for most other places you'd probably be looking to flying through PHX or DFW.

Hope that helps!
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
[QUOTE=Geordie405;32584009In terms of getting back to the UK you'd probably be looking to fly either via LAX or ORD or DFW. [/QUOTE]

Or from SFO, also using a 787 at the moment, and running once a day.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
LAX to LHR is currently the only reliable service option, I can't see anything else running. The LGW service to LAS is beyond aspirational at both ends. There may be a case to book it, knowing you will be moved anyway -but that brings a number of uncertainties to the game. You would need to self isolate on arrival in the UK for 14 days, however going to a funeral is one of the exceptions for the day in question, there is a long list of rules for funerals in the different parts of the UK, some locally derived.

The WTP seat on the 787 is pretty good in my view, particularly for day time flights, but the sides of the seat are non moveable. If you knew for sure that the WT cabin wasn't full - and typically they are not - then you would get multi seat occupancy, particularly sat nearer the back. Ideally you would go WT on a low loaded service from LAX to LHR, and WTP back to the USA.
Just like other members of the government? The fact Border Control is not even regulating this 100% (as mentioned in another thread) shows how serious the government is taking this.

Regarding going out in WP and inbound in WTP, with the fare not that expensive may as well just book both ways no?

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Firstly, sorry for your loss!

As another Las Vegas resident I'd say that it's highly unlikely in my opinion that there will be any direct BA flights from LAS to London in September. In terms of getting back to the UK you'd probably be looking to fly either via LAX or ORD or DFW. Given the $400 credit you have with AA I'd probably be looking to not only book with them but also fly with them. If you can fly with AA on their 777W aircraft then I'd probably choose Premium Economy with AA over WT+ with BA, and the fact that AA are also serving hot food instead of just a boxed up picnic is something to bear in mind too.

The only downside at the moment is that schedules are all over the place with very few direct flights meaning you'd need to fly through an AA hub to get to most places. LAX does now have some direct flights, as do DFW and ORD but for most other places you'd probably be looking to flying through PHX or DFW.

Hope that helps!
Nice one! Where are you located? We're Henderson. 215 and Stephaine. Such a shame what has happened to this City.

Flew AA premium back in December from Hong Kong to LAX. Was wank. Food was crap and the seat wasn't that much better. To be honest, I'm looking at comfort rather than anything else. Having flown Premium on a bunch of airlines now (VS, JAL, CX), it makes all the difference. If the BA seat is the same standard as the airlines listed that would be a right result.

Thanks to you both for your comments.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Regarding going out in WP and inbound in WTP, with the fare not that expensive may as well just book both ways no?

Nice one! Where are you located? We're Henderson. 215 and Stephaine. Such a shame what has happened to this City.

Flew AA premium back in December from Hong Kong to LAX. Was wank. Food was crap and the seat wasn't that much better. To be honest, I'm looking at comfort rather than anything else. Having flown Premium on a bunch of airlines now (VS, JAL, CX), it makes all the difference. If the BA seat is the same standard as the airlines listed that would be a right result.

Thanks to you both for your comments.
We're over in the southwest, so 215 and Buffalo. It is a real shame although the day to day impact on us is quite limited as being locals we tend not to go to The Strip etc. I am more gutted about the loss of concerts etc.

If the fare isn't too expensive for WTP both ways then I'd definitely consider it. I am not sure what prices you're seeing and what you consider to be expensive but you'd definitely get 90 TPs each way for the long-haul sectors in WT+ compared to whatever you'd get for WT.

I've flown Premium Economy with AA only a small handful of times but have always been quite impressed. I think the seat is good but would agree that the food and wine could definitely do with some improvement.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 5:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
We're over in the southwest, so 215 and Buffalo. It is a real shame although the day to day impact on us is quite limited as being locals we tend not to go to The Strip etc. I am more gutted about the loss of concerts etc.

If the fare isn't too expensive for WTP both ways then I'd definitely consider it. I am not sure what prices you're seeing and what you consider to be expensive but you'd definitely get 90 TPs each way for the long-haul sectors in WT+ compared to whatever you'd get for WT.

I've flown Premium Economy with AA only a small handful of times but have always been quite impressed. I think the seat is good but would agree that the food and wine could definitely do with some improvement.
$1432 via LAX in premium round trip. With the $400 credit looking at $1k which is ok.

I would credit to Alaska so not worried about BA tier points.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
The LAX-LHR AA flight is not guaranteed to operate. I’ve had two cancellations (one for the end of Aug) where I’ve been re-routed to a LAX-DFW-LHR itinerary. Not good when I have to drive up from SAN for what was supposed to be a 5PM departure which is now switched to a 9AM departure. If I have to route via DFW, I would rather originate from SAN.

I would recommend sticking to the BA metal flight from LAX, albeit book as an AA codeshare to use the expiring voucher as that flight is most likely to operate.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Sorry to hear your news. To add my 2p or 2c, if you find yourself on the 787 then the WTP hard product is good, especially compared to AA or CX. I've done some 15+ long haul legs in the last few years in WTP and while I'd always prefer to be in Club, I've never had any issues having to take the WTP option. As others have mentioned, the food is awful right now, but that can be remedied by packing your own food. If you're keen to fly on a certain date, I'd certainly stick with LAX option. I've been monitoring flights carefully as may have to somehow route myself from Mex to UK in th next month or two, and it seems like LAX that seems to consistently run. My only other question here is whether you have any avios? There is always the option of paying WTP and then upgrading to Club, but the downside is that the taxes and surcharges coming out of the USA can be outrageously high. But if you've got some to burn, availability has been pretty wide open on many routes.

Hope that helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.