Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone know truly how profitable KLM's YEG-AMS route is?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Does anyone know truly how profitable KLM's YEG-AMS route is?

This route has been in existence for quite a while now, and is actually the only TATL out of YEG now (has been for a few years).

KLM seems to have a big presence in Alberta. Can someone provide an explanation for this? Obviously I love to see it, but I also find it surprising that airlines like Lufthansa and BA have reduced (or suspended) operations in Alberta while KLM seems to have grown!
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Amsterdam is HQ for Royal Dutch Shell?
M60_to_LGA and irishguy28 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, that would explain it! Lol
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
The Hague is.

Johan
fifty_two and etiene like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The Hague is.

Johan
Mea culpa
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Alberta has many Dutch (farmers) O/D traffic and oil and gas YYC has additionally WESTJET hub, thus connections even during Corona times might be available.
YEG also as most of Canada ( except YUL ) has a large Indian community - lots of traffic YEG-AMS-India o/d travel
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: hahaha
An acquaintance of mine is a FA on this route. On the times they've flown (usually weekends and Wednesday), the route was generally full.

No idea on profitability, but since it's YEG's only TATL, I would imagine it would be placed a higher premium for all those one-stop European connections.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by splflyer
Alberta has many Dutch (farmers) O/D traffic
Ah yes - farmers, that renowned jet-setting class!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
I was invited to the inaugural event in YEG, back in May 2015 I think. On the event, KLM clearly said they would like to thank Royal Dutch Shell and Alberta government. They offered a draw to win 2 R/T tickets to Europe that night and I think someone from Shell got it... Did meet a lot of personnel and managers from KL and DL, and surprised to see how closely they worked together (ticketing office, Sky Bonus, complaint handling).

Later that year I took the flight in June, the flight (A332) was around 70% full for a weekend flight. I had two seats in a row in Economy Comfort. I personally believe there shall be financial funds from the AB government and a contract between Shell and KLM to reserve a certain amount of seats on the AMS-YEG route otherwise this route may not sustain.

PS: >30% of the time this route has promo award in J, mostly 50% discount, very attractive but unfortunately, I have moved back to the east later that year though.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Ah yes - farmers, that renowned jet-setting class!
Dutch farmers deliver the highest productivity in the world and have been quite successful recently in consulting overseas to help drive up productivity elsewhere. While I think that oil is a somewhat more likely response, Dutch farmers in general are pretty jet-setting. And pretty loaded.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Dutch farmers in general are pretty jet-setting. And pretty loaded.
And not only Dutch ones. I've met some really affluent farmers. Admittedly they all diversified once they had enough dough, sensibly spreading their investments beyond farming. And yes, they must have been jet-setting, or else I would not have met them. Also, in some countries many farms have private airstrips, and farmers do a lot of flying in GA aircraft.

Johan
splflyer and Thysk like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The Hague is.

Johan
hmm. YEG-RTM? Shame there is no more Ypenburg, that would have been really local!
johan rebel and Thysk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.