Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling a TAP Portugal Flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Cancelling a TAP Portugal Flight

I have a flight on TAP Airlines 5/6/20 booked using Aeroplan points. Even if the flight is running I doubt I will want to go.
My understanding is that I have until 3/31/20 to cancel via Aeroplan and get all my points and fees back. Are there any other (better) options that I have after 3/31 or should I just cancel now and be done with it? I’m not sure what I get if I cancel through TAP rather than Aeroplan
Thanks for any feedback.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will have to cancel with Aeroplan, not TAP, as Aeroplan is your travel agent in this instance. If you don't want to travel, then you'd probably be best off cancelling to be done with it.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks London. That’s what I suspected but appreciate your input.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by krawfo
I have a flight on TAP Airlines 5/6/20 booked using Aeroplan points. Even if the flight is running I doubt I will want to go.
My understanding is that I have until 3/31/20 to cancel via Aeroplan and get all my points and fees back. Are there any other (better) options that I have after 3/31 or should I just cancel now and be done with it? I’m not sure what I get if I cancel through TAP rather than Aeroplan
Thanks for any feedback.
you can cancel after March but you have to pay cancelling fee. it's better to make a new booking later given the current situation.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: AP SPG HH
I cancelled online. It is easy and my points were returned immediately. Taxes a fees returned within 8 days. No fee for cancellation.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

I just went to the Aeroplan website and now it says

Cancel any Flight Reward free of charge, until April 30

Has the 3/31/20 deadline been extended?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by krawfo
I just went to the Aeroplan website and now it says

Cancel any Flight Reward free of charge, until April 30

Has the 3/31/20 deadline been extended?
The answer is provided in your post.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:20 pm

I am glad it is extended. I actually cancelled my TAP flight booked with Aeroplan several days ago online but got the manual 10 day notice. Was debating whether to call in but now I'll just wait till late April and if they haven't got around to cancelling it then, I'll call in (flight isn't until June).

Last edited by 36902BRF; Mar 30, 2020 at 5:32 pm
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
I cancelled online. It is easy and my points were returned immediately. Taxes a fees returned within 8 days. No fee for cancellation.
I did an online cancellation of a Aeroplan award with flights on LOT. The webpage gave me a cancellation confirmation, but also said "Please allow 10 business days for manual processing to be completed and to see your mileage reinstated in your account." I also have not received an email confirmation. Why are some able to get points back instantly and others it takes days? Last time I cancelled an award, I got a similar message but the refund never went through. After calling, the agent got the miles reinstated within minutes and commented that it didn't cancel correctly online. I don't want to bug the call center if I don't have to. Has anyone gotten a similar message to wait for manual processing and then successfully the gotten refund without further action? If I have to call, any recent experience with expected wait times?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by vinnmann
I did an online cancellation of a Aeroplan award with flights on LOT. The webpage gave me a cancellation confirmation, but also said "Please allow 10 business days for manual processing to be completed and to see your mileage reinstated in your account." I also have not received an email confirmation. Why are some able to get points back instantly and others it takes days? Last time I cancelled an award, I got a similar message but the refund never went through. After calling, the agent got the miles reinstated within minutes and commented that it didn't cancel correctly online. I don't want to bug the call center if I don't have to. Has anyone gotten a similar message to wait for manual processing and then successfully the gotten refund without further action? If I have to call, any recent experience with expected wait times?
Clearly some reservations require a manual intervention and get that ten day message. I never received an email and as of today (six days later) my reservation (for June) is still intact and so it hasn't been cancelled yet. I am going to give them 21 days and if it is still hanging around call them then. For me there is no rush but I'd like it to push through before the free cancellation expires on 4/30 if not extended.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you get the 10 day message, it adds a remark to the PNR that all agents can easily see. If they tried to charge a cancellation fee, the PNR itself is evidence that you made a good-faith attempt.

The remark looks like "MEMBER REQUESTED REFUND ON AEROPLAN.COM AND TRANSACTION FAILED. PNR QUEUED FOR REFUND TO BE PROCESSED."

Automatic refunds after multiple involuntary schedule changes don't work very well.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Clearly some reservations require a manual intervention and get that ten day message. I never received an email and as of today (six days later) my reservation (for June) is still intact and so it hasn't been cancelled yet. I am going to give them 21 days and if it is still hanging around call them then. For me there is no rush but I'd like it to push through before the free cancellation expires on 4/30 if not extended.
I sounds like it is typical for the reservation to still show in "Travel rewards and booking". Is that true? It still shows the button available to cancel. I wonder if it would screw things up if I tried to cancel again.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I sounds like it is typical for the reservation to still show in "Travel rewards and booking". Is that true? It still shows the button available to cancel. I wonder if it would screw things up if I tried to cancel again.
Worst case scenario would be that it removes your booking from the queue, and adds it again at the end. So it might just delay things.

More likely it does nothing, or adds it to the queue a second time.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:57 pm

My trip shows that and I have tried to cancel it more than once and no difference still got 10 day notice. Even looked up my trip on the Air Canada (not Aeroplan website) which showed a second different PNR. Entered that one manually in Aeroplan which also brought up the same trip and tried to cancel that way and also got the 10 day notice.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Apr 6, 2020 at 4:26 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:58 pm

After 5 days without the miles being returned (not complaining as they said it would take 10) I decided to call so I could rebook on different flights I found. I was pleasantly surprised that I waited on hold less than 5 minutes before I had a very nice agent answer. She had the miles back and an email with tax refund information within another 5 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.