Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rerouting options with Delta / AF of Strike continues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I am scheduled to fly MKE-DTW-CDG-NCE on Dec 17. The ticket (J) was bought with Delta but the DTW-CDG-NCE segments are operated by Air France. With upcoming strikes in France, what are my options to be rerouted through AMS (for example) as to avoid getting stuck in CDG? When would be a good time to request a change? When would Delta waive change fees in case the strike extends to the week of Dec 17?

Thanks for your insight and advice!

Fab
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:15 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Keep checking the advisories for a waiver covering your dates (https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ent-advisories). The advisories are listed by update date, not dates of traveled so make sure you scroll through them all if you don't see an appropriate waiver.

Here is the current waiver for travel 12/5-12/7: https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...ustrial-action

Once a waiver is posted for your dates rerouting via AMS shouldn't be an issue. You may have luck calling now (or once the strike starts on 12/5) - it doesn't hurt to try if that is your preference.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TTT
Once a waiver is posted for your dates rerouting via AMS shouldn't be an issue. You may have luck calling now (or once the strike starts on 12/5) - it doesn't hurt to try if that is your preference.
Actually it does hurt to try. OP Is flying 10 days outside the current waiver - why would that not hurt to try? No agent would ever make that change because they have to enter a waiver code and the waiver code for the current strike doesn’t cover 12/17

Plus they could leave unfriendly notes. Best to sit back and if the strike continues, deal with it a day or two before travel when you know which alternative you want and when a waiver is posted.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Actually it does hurt to try. OP Is flying 10 days outside the current waiver - why would that not hurt to try? No agent would ever make that change because they have to enter a waiver code and the waiver code for the current strike doesn’t cover 12/17

Plus they could leave unfriendly notes. Best to sit back and if the strike continues, deal with it a day or two before travel when you know which alternative you want and when a waiver is posted.
No agent is going to leave a nasty note just for asking if qualify to get changed. An agent who knows AF/French aviation might be willing to make the change. If not simply thank agent and hang up. What there's no need to do is hang up and keep trying.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:58 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Each their own I suppose. Just asking politely isn't going to generate a nasty note.

There are disadvantages to your approach - namely availability the week before Christmas. There may be no options for the OP if they try to tackle this a day before travel.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Recent reports relating to fee waivers suggest that the people who are being told that they have had too many "one-time exceptions" have had many. Presuming that OP is not doing this regularly, there is no suggestion that a one-off request relating to an impending strike, will hurt.

With that said, I would simply call DL and make the straightforward ask as a means to avoid any strike-related problems. Have the new flight numbers handy, make this easy to do and you may be surprised.

If it does not work, wait for a waiver and then call.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Recent reports relating to fee waivers suggest that the people who are being told that they have had too many "one-time exceptions" have had many. Presuming that OP is not doing this regularly, there is no suggestion that a one-off request relating to an impending strike, will hurt.

With that said, I would simply call DL and make the straightforward ask as a means to avoid any strike-related problems. Have the new flight numbers handy, make this easy to do and you may be surprised.

If it does not work, wait for a waiver and then call.
Thank you for your input. I'm probably going to wait a few more days and see what happens after this week's announced strike and then call DL.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Each their own I suppose. Just asking politely isn't going to generate a nasty note.

There are disadvantages to your approach - namely availability the week before Christmas. There may be no options for the OP if they try to tackle this a day before travel.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No agent is going to leave a nasty note just for asking if qualify to get changed. An agent who knows AF/French aviation might be willing to make the change. If not simply thank agent and hang up. What there's no need to do is hang up and keep trying.
Thank you all! I really appreciate your feedback. I ll report soon.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:01 am

Flying South Bend to CDG (DL) to Montpellier France ( AF) 8 Dec 2019 - strike issues?

I’m traveling Sunday Dec 8th 2019 from South Bend to Detroit to CDG and then to Montpellier France for work. Will I have any issues getting there through Delta? I come back the same way on Thursday Dec 12th 2019.

Any help understanding this would be helpful as Delta has yet to send me any notices

my flights from CDG to Montpellier are ran by Air France

Last edited by alfredo95; Dec 7, 2019 at 6:15 am
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by alfredo95
I’m traveling Sunday Dec 8th 2019 from South Bend to Detroit to CDG and then to Montpellier France for work. Will I have any issues getting there through Delta? I come back the same way on Thursday Dec 12th 2019.
What airline is your Montpellier flight on? According to this site, hundreds of local flights have been canceled, especially Air France and EasyJet, but there were fewer cancelations yesterday (Friday) than before.

I'd expect delays at a minimum and be pleasantly surprised if I got there on time.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:47 am

Air France, local news outlets are stating strikes could last until Dec 10th
It looks like some of the strikes will last well past the 10th. The unions are organizing rallies for the 10th. The government plans to announce details of the pension reforms, which are causing the strikes, on the 11th. It's hard to predict which unions will walk out when (today, for example, ATC seems relatively normal), but I would expect transport disruptions throughout next week.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:51 am

Thanks Stu, I was watching the news this morning and looking up the local news and they are saying the same thing. That's unfortunate. Do you think I would have any issues flying from AMS to Barcelona and driving up 3 hrs to Montpellier and then flying back through Barcelona? Would there be any risk in driving and using those airports?

Thoughts? Much appreciated
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As the TATL carrier is Delta, will move this to the Delta forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:24 am

Thanks Stu, I was watching the news this morning and looking up the local news and they are saying the same thing. That's unfortunate. Do you think I would have any issues flying from AMS to Barcelona and driving up 3 hrs to Montpellier and then flying back through Barcelona? Would there be any risk in driving and using those airports?
Looking at AF CDG-MPL flights, all 4 went out yesterday (though delayed) and none are cancelled for today. We're talking 30-90 minute delays.

However, avoiding France seems like a better idea than depending a short-haul flight originating or terminating in France, if DL will let you change your ticket.

KLM also flies to MPL so SBN-DTW-AMS-(KL)-MPL is more likely to get you there and less likely to have immigration/customs delays than SBN-DTW-CDG-(AF)-MPL. And if that last leg cancels for whatever reason you are sitting in Amsterdam with many options, instead of strike-bound Paris.

If you are looking at driving options to Montpellier from airports outside of France, BCN seems a reasonable choice. Other options: only 4 hour drive from Geneva and ~5 hours to drive from Turin or Genoa. I have done all of those drives and they are extremely beautiful so you could turn an inconvenience into fun trip, if you have the time and inclination.

But sticking with original flights could also work.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:27 am

Great advice Threeoh. I am going to wait until tomorrow morning as my flight doesn't leave until 7pm tomorrow. It will be a last minute decision but your advice is what I was also thinking.

Thanks for the help! Yes being stuck in Paris, although not terrible, would not be my preference, especially if i'm trying to be home by next weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.