Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rerouting options with Delta / AF of Strike continues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rerouting options with Delta / AF of Strike continues?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There is a waiver allowing change for flight 5th-7th. Watch and see if gets extended. If it does you can call and make change for free to go via AMS.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by alfredo95
Do you think I would have any issues flying from AMS to Barcelona and driving up 3 hrs to Montpellier and then flying back through Barcelona? Would there be any risk in driving and using those airports?
As I was driving from Dijon to Lyon this morning (I ran out of steam a couple of hours short of my destination last night), the radio news was talking about "oprations escargot", delightful protests in which a phalanx of truck drivers occupy a highway and drive at a snail's pace. This morning was (I think) the first to see these protests in the current outbreak, but there will probably be more. One of the oprations escargot targeted only foreign truckers, letting other traffic pass but I'm sure it slowed everyone considerably anyway.

I was relieved that they didn't hit the A6 that I was on. In any case, Google Maps is your friend. Should an opration escargot materialize on your route, Google will find a way around it.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Winter + strikes is not a good time to be driving in Europe.

If OP needs to return to the USA roughly on time rather than getting stuck in Paris on the way back, I'd be more concerned about rerouting through AMS in that direction. If the flight leaving MPL is delayed, there's a risk of missing the connection at CDG and not being able to find space (short of taking a train to AMS or LHR, etc.). Alternatively, one could try to fly MPS-CDG the day before to allow lots of extra time for the connection, but it might be wise to check for availability at CDG airport hotels before committing to this option, if available.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I believe ATC is also involved in the strike action, so even KL flights to France may be affected.
MSPeconomist and ajGoes like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

The return trip is not an issue. I am already scheduled to fly NCE-AMS-ATL-MKE (KLM+Delta).
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Winter + strikes is not a good time to be driving in Europe.
What's wrong with winter? Well above freezing for almost all of these routes we're talking about.

there's a risk of missing the connection at CDG and not being able to find space (short of taking a train to AMS or LHR, etc.).
Train service is significantly impacted by strike as well, it's not just an aviation strike.

But moot as OP is routed through AMS on the return.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:35 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I flew into CDG on The first day of the strike, 1.5 hours via taxi to Hilton Paris Opera. As a tourist, it hasn’t really had much of an effect. No Metro but plenty of Taxis and Uber. Have talked to some in the lounge on business outside of city center - a 1 hour commute is about 2.5 hours. Shop and hotel employees who usually have a 20 commute are now looking at 1-2 hours.
we are flying home Tuesday morning, there are new expanded strikes announced for that day. Trying to figure out when to leave for our 9:10 flight.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I flew into CDG on The first day of the strike, 1.5 hours via taxi to Hilton Paris Opera. As a tourist, it hasnt really had much of an effect. No Metro but plenty of Taxis and Uber. Have talked to some in the lounge on business outside of city center - a 1 hour commute is about 2.5 hours. Shop and hotel employees who usually have a 20 commute are now looking at 1-2 hours.
we are flying home Tuesday morning, there are new expanded strikes announced for that day. Trying to figure out when to leave for our 9:10 flight.
I fly out from CDG to SFO at 10:30 on Wednesday and would love to hear what you decide/how it goes.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
I fly out from CDG to SFO at 10:30 on Wednesday and would love to hear what you decide/how it goes.
left Hilton Paris Opera at 6:00 for our 9:10 flight today to be extra safe. Plenty of taxis waiting in front of hotel. Trip took 35 minutes with no traffic heading out. Traffic heading into Paris was a total parking lot and barely moving all the way. Security took a long time using the horrible bin system. Now sitting in lounge.
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Tomphot
left Hilton Paris Opera at 6:00 for our 9:10 flight today to be extra safe. Plenty of taxis waiting in front of hotel. Trip took 35 minutes with no traffic heading out.
Thanks for the report. Hopefully I can cancel the room I reserved at the airport and spend Thursday night on the Left Bank as planned before my 9:00 AM departure Friday morning.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:06 am

Any update on flights to CDG today or tomorrow Dec 11th?

Does anyone have any updates on Delta travel planes into and out of CDG on Thursday Dec 11th, 2019?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Actually it does hurt to try. OP Is flying 10 days outside the current waiver - why would that not hurt to try? No agent would ever make that change because they have to enter a waiver code and the waiver code for the current strike doesnt cover 12/17

Plus they could leave unfriendly notes. Best to sit back and if the strike continues, deal with it a day or two before travel when you know which alternative you want and when a waiver is posted.
I just saw this and burse out laugingi.. OMG Delta could leave "unfriendly notes" RUN (Seriously? As long as you are polite and not DEMANDING and rude this isn't even worth considering)

That said about three days before the current strike waivers were updated my friend was able to change her ticket with no problem. No fee etc.. No it never hurts to ask.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by alfredo95
Does anyone have any updates on Delta travel planes into and out of CDG on Thursday Dec 11th, 2019?
Do you mean Wednesday, Dec. 11th or Thursday, Dec. 12th? I am scheduled to fly CDG-ORD on AF on Thursday, 12/12. Any reports on the last couple of days?

I’ve been in Paris for eight days. I have avoided the areas where there are demonstrations. Otherwise have encountered no problems. I always walk a lot in Paris and rarely take public transportation anyway. I have scheduled a car to the airport through my hotel, rather than taking the RER, which I would do otherwise; that’s the main change I’ve made because of the strike.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Dec 11, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Do you mean Wednesday, Dec. 11th or Thursday, Dec. 12th. I am scheduled to fly out on AF on Thursday, 12/12. Any reports on the last couple of days?

Ive been in Paris for eight days. I have avoided the areas where there are demonstrations. Otherwise have encountered no problems. I always walk a lot in Paris and rarely take public transportation anyway. I have scheduled a car to the airport through my hotel, rather than taking the RER, which I would do otherwise; thats the main change Ive made because of the strike.
See a few posts above, I left on Tuesday
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Anecdotal report: Today (12/12) I flew CDG-ORD on AF with an on-time departure.

I took a car (called by my hotel) to the airport for €60 instead of my usual habit of taking the RER and allowed extra time. Traffic to the airport in the morning was heavy but still got there in under an hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.