Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Transferred to DL, but bumped again before boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist

Original post here:
Weird experience regarding bumping after irrop

In short, I was transferred to DL from AS because of irrop. And then got bumped again 1 hour later just before boarding starts. How could this be possible with DL? And why doesn't it count as idb?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:40 pm

Where did this happen?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
For folks with a paid, valid, normal fare tickets DL will not deny boarding until everyone is on the plane and those with seat assignments are usually not considered for IDB. That they decided to not not board you before boarding began indicates there was something non-standard with your ticket. Maybe AS did not issue it properly and rather than fix it DL decided to not fix it to further oversell the flight. Maybe the inter-airline tickets don’t have standard ticket properties and can be revoked by the alternate airline. Maybe it was something else. That the AS representative did not get upset by DL’s decision indicates that DL was within their rights to deny you boarding for some reason.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You technically were never a normal confirmed passenger. You were a displaced passenger that DL was offering to let AS place on a DL flight. In this case it sounds like AS never contacted DL to make sure they could actually accommodate you. Instead they simply booked you onto the flight without ensuring it wasn't oversold. It was oversold and thus DL couldn't accommodate you.

This was an error on AS part.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You technically were never a normal confirmed passenger. You were a displaced passenger that DL was offering to let AS place on a DL flight. In this case it sounds like AS never contacted DL to make sure they could actually accommodate you. Instead they simply booked you onto the flight without ensuring it wasn't oversold. It was oversold and thus DL couldn't accommodate you.

This was an error on AS part.
Technically if they’re HKed on a flight (HK = holding conformed) and they aren’t allowed to board its a DB. In OP’s case its unclear if they were HKed or some other non-confirmed/ticketed status.

During IROPs it is customary for airlines to call each other before potentially overbooking another airline’s flight, but it is NOT required. If an airline accepts a booking request with an HK response, they are now that airline’s responsibility.
Spiff and jackal like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Technically if they’re HKed on a flight (HK = holding conformed) and they aren’t allowed to board its a DB. In OP’s case its unclear if they were HKed or some other non-confirmed/ticketed status.

During IROPs it is customary for airlines to call each other before potentially overbooking another airline’s flight, but it is NOT required. If an airline accepts a booking request with an HK response, they are now that airline’s responsibility.
However DL likely was never given a chance to confirm/deny. It appears that AS simply went ahead and issued a new ticket and BP without getting that confirmation. When I say contacted, I mean by any method, phone or electronic. Thus passenger was never accepted by DL.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD

As I said in the thread on this incident in the AS forum, it's possible that AS didn't reissue the ticket correctly for the DL flight and attach it properly to the DL reservation, so that sending the ticket to DL could have failed even if there had been a reservation on DL. AFAIK this would be consistent with the boarding pass being issued, but the OP later being denied boarding.

Without a correct reservation and matching ticket, it's certainly not an IDB.
TerryK and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is the duplicate of the same thread in the AS forum, where it belongs as it is almost 100% certainly an AS issue.

Unless AS properly and timely reissued the e-ticket, DL would not have a ticket and would not board the passenger.

AS should have called DL to confirm availability and then forced the ticket reissue given what I presume to be a short departure window for the DL flight. If it did not call and the ticket reissue simply sat in queue, it is entirely possible -- if not likely -- that OP turned up at the DL gate without a valid ticket and was thus properly denied boarding.

It should not fall to the passenger, but it does, to assure that the ticket has been reissued and, if possible if this is handled in person at the airport, to obtain a paper FIM or a printout of an e-FIM to hand to the onwards carrier.
TerryK and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As I said in the thread on this incident in the AS forum, it's possible that AS didn't reissue the ticket correctly for the DL flight and attach it properly to the DL reservation, so that sending the ticket to DL could have failed even if there had been a reservation on DL. AFAIK this would be consistent with the boarding pass being issued, but the OP later being denied boarding.

Without a correct reservation and matching ticket, it's certainly not an IDB.
Even if they did issue ticket and attach, if they didnt wait for DL to confirm the segment, DL would be in right to not board.

I had this happen recently with KE/DL and AS. Inbound to ICN was late. I missed my DL flight. KE rebooked me on their flight to LAS and an AS flight to SEA. They never waited for AS to confirm. Simply reissued ticket, issued BPs, and printed new bag tags. Luckily I saw this online before getting to gate. As soon as landed I called DM line. They stated it was good I did as AS declined the seat. Agent rebooked me by time we got to gate (next day on DL metal). Agent at gate tried to insist that once a BP was issued I was confirmed. Went to transfer counter and got supervisor who explained to him that he hadn't properly waited for AS to confirm. (Supervisor pulled up record and showed him where AS declined the seat)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Often1
This is the duplicate of the same thread in the AS forum ...

no it is not

see the second post in the AS thread ... you should have recognized that I suggested OP post here with a link to the original post, because it initially appeared to be a DL issue
MSPeconomist and Spiff like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:17 pm

More than likely the Delta flight was sold out and the passengers was ticketed as a standby.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

To provide more information, I am not sure if the flight is confirmed by DL (how do I check that actually?).
But I am sure the ticket was reissued correctly.

1. I already received email confirmation from AS for the reissued ticket with the new ticket #. But I don't know if it means the flight is confirmed or not and I couldn't pull it out again on AS website either now since it is already finished.
2. I did ask the DL check-in counter about the situation before proceeding to gate. They just told me it is fine and get to the gate. But it is also possible they have little clue of the situation anyway.
3. After I reached the gate I went to the agent directly, I told her the situation and she assigned me a seat immediately. But about 1 hour later when the boarding starts, the exact person told me to go back to AS. I asked for the reason she told me they are oversold and I am bumped.
4. I remember that before proceeding to security, I checked google flights and the DL flight was still on sale. But I know it doesn't mean the flight is not oversold.
5. It happens for a SFO-JFK flight.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Actually I dig my documents and found this.
The original boarding pass was taken away by the gate agent, but she returned me an itinerary, which does have "confirmed" on it.

Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Sorry, but it's not an e-ticket receipt. It's just a printout marked "itinerary." I know that it's confusing and not your responsibility nor are you to blame, but what you almost certainly had was a reservation without a ticket to support it.

Nobody at DL likely checked anything until you tried to board.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767

no it is not

see the second post in the AS thread ... you should have recognized that I suggested OP post here with a link to the original post, because it initially appeared to be a DL issue
Yes, it is.??

Does not mean that you gave poor advice. But, it is the same set of facts and there are facts in the other thread. Hopefully, a Moderator will at some point merge the two threads for the benefit of others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.