Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is British Airways really just London Airways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Does anyone know if BA have plane to expand their services outside of London?

Sure I don’t mind getting to London or connecting at Heathrow to go long haul. I do find it really annoying though that the only options I have out of of Manchester are often Ryan Air.

BA’s offering these days is super if you live in London, but up north/scotland/wales, BA’s offering is pathetic
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Ba have a handful of weekend services from MAN and some subsidiary services from other stations (eg logs air from Scottish airports etc) but is otherwise London based. It’s been like that for well over a decade though so I’m not sure about ‘these days’ and there are no known plans to change either.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Very much London based for quite a while. Never made the region's work particularly well. Would have no chance now even if they wanted to with Ryanair, easyJet and even Flybe having such regional holds. It's either via London for BA metal from the regionals. Interestingly it could be argued KLM have for a long time sensed this as good option to fly regional pax via AMS hence you will see that KLM fly from many of the UK regionals quite successfully to their Dutch hub.i think their Norwich Amsterdam flying time is under 30 mins.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:28 am
Suspended

MAN has easyJet, Jet2, Lufthansa, AF, KLM, Vueling, IBeria Express, Finnair, CJ at the weekend, QR, EK, CX, SQ, AA, what exactly is missing?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I’ve moved to the Cotswolds in the past year, and about 80% of my flying has moved to AF/KL/LH. Even though LHR is only a 1h30 drive it’s still not worth going there for BA unless flying to the US. The regional options from BHX/BRS going East are second to none.

Feeder flights are well timed and usually full to bursting, so they’re doing something right.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:51 am

Maybe this is because I am not a Silver+. But are BA really that different from easyJet et. al. for Europe? Especially assuming decent travel insurance that one should have anyway.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Agneisse
....are BA really that different from easyJet et. al. for Europe?...
If you exclude E170/90 operated flights, then not really.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demolineux
BA is using the very same model that all legacy carriers in Europe have moved to, namely the Hub-and-spoke model. LCC competition has made the economics of point--to-point services largely non-viable for legacy carriers. There are a handful of exceptions here and there but they are just that: exceptions. So, no: there is not much prospect of BA expanding services from outside London, in the same way as there is not much prospect of Iberia expanding services from outside Madrid, Alitalia outside Rome, Air France outside Paris, Lufthansa outside Frankfurt and Munich, Austrian outside Vienna, etc...
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I guess it boils down to competition from the LCCs being too strong to make a lot of money from the regions. If BA were to compete for yet another MAN-ALC they would probably struggle.

The real money is in the LON-somewhere direct routes where fares, especially if you book just a few days before, can be eye-watering.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
BA is using the very same model that all legacy carriers in Europe have moved to, namely the Hub-and-spoke model. LCC competition has made the economics of point--to-point services largely non-viable for legacy carriers. There are a handful of exceptions here and there but they are just that: exceptions. So, no: there is not much prospect of BA expanding services from outside London, in the same way as there is not much prospect of Iberia expanding services from outside Madrid, Alitalia outside Rome, Air France outside Paris, Lufthansa outside Frankfurt and Munich, Austrian outside Vienna, etc...
indeed i believe the only exceptions I can think of are LH which you mention which maintains a dual hub (and a couple of sub hubs operates by their main subsidiary) and SK a triple hub. LX also has some limited services from GVA. AZ once tried to maintain a double FCO/MXP hub but that did not end prettily and like you I can’t imagine ba reopening regional bases imminently.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Britain just isn't big enough for a multi-hub long haul airline, and like it or not the short-haul operation only works as a mix of feeder traffic and O&D. Attempting anything different as a publically traded company would be irresponsible.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by richardwft
MAN has easyJet, Jet2, Lufthansa, AF, KLM, Vueling, IBeria Express, Finnair, CJ at the weekend, QR, EK, CX, SQ, AA, what exactly is missing?
VS?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
AZ once tried to maintain a double FCO/MXP hub but that did not end prettily
They still have a significant operational presence in Milan (LIN), possibly merely not to lose the 'golden' slots (and at the cost of flying half-empty 321s to Rome & back over 30 times a day). But, yes, not ending prettily either

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jun 26, 2019 at 3:46 am Reason: spelling.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by demolineux

Sure I don’t mind getting to London or connecting at Heathrow to go long haul. I do find it really annoying though that the only options I have out of of Manchester are often Ryan Air.

BA’s offering these days is super if you live in London, but up north/scotland/wales, BA’s offering is pathetic
British Airways is a name not a mission statement. It does not define their route network anymore than Virgin means either you or they are all virgins.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
It surprises me that KLM can run three flights a day from LBA. But BA can manage only one!
Hence the London Airways tag...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.