Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Screwed myself out of A-List by booking with points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I have A-list this year due to status match. Based on my flying so far, I will be close to making it on trips this year. My best guess right now is that I might be slightly short - due to my not thinking. A few flights earlier this year were booked using points instead of cash. I had a few other future flights with points that I cancelled and rebooked with cash. We can make use of the points next year, so not a waste.

Now many out there have made this mistake?
Old May 21, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I've had the opposite problem in the past re-qualifying on TQP alone for AL+. Very helpful to book RT's that straddle year end to push all the points into the next year. Rare instance where RT's work in your favor!
Old May 21, 2019, 9:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Next time you see $39 or even $49 fares book a segment run. A quick turnaround on $39 fares costs only $72.
kennycrudup, CREN, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:26 am

You have 6 months left, that's plenty of time to find a fare sale and do status runs.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:51 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Once I began flying about 25-30 flights per year, I've since decided to stick to cash bookings for the first 25 flights in a calendar year, and then wait to use points until after I've flown 25 flights. At least you know for next year!

I agree with others though, that there's plenty of time to catch some sales fares for status runs, and there should be several short flights from Nashville that could be viable. (I already see some $49 fares for BNA-ATL in August for example)
Old May 21, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Fares get dirt cheap for travel in early December. Perfect time for end-of-year segment runs.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:09 pm

The OP's profile says they're based in Nashville. Looking in late August I see flights to Atlanta for $49 each way. You could take a day trip.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
yea... i was thinking about status runs.... and trips we probably should not be spending money on...LOL,...

Would have been maybe only one or two status runs if I had been paying attention. STUPID on my part.

Will be looking at cheap flights... and before November.

We have Cit CC that gets us in to AA lounge in Nashville that makes flying much easier. Often well lubricated before boarding so that helps. That option goes away in November. (AA is putting in a new rule that you must be flying AA the same day to use lounge)
Old May 21, 2019, 1:39 pm

What's your points/flights mix? I get it on points much sooner than on # flights. If your points/flights mix is somewhat close, maybe purchase more expensive Anytime or BS fares in order to get it by points, instead of segment runs?
Attached Images  
Old May 21, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We have Cit CC that gets us in to AA lounge in Nashville that makes flying much easier. Often well lubricated before boarding so that helps. That option goes away in November. (AA is putting in a new rule that you must be flying AA the same day to use lounge)
Buy a fully refundable AA ticket for that day?
Old May 21, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I also use the AA lounge before WN flights. AA is even screwing their Lifetime AAdmirals members with this drastic change of T&Cs. It's nice that WN hasn't joined the race to the bottom.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
I also use the AA lounge before WN flights. AA is even screwing their Lifetime AAdmirals members with this drastic change of T&Cs. It's nice that WN hasn't joined the race to the bottom.
To be fair, WN doesn't even try to operate lounges. I think all of the legacies are going this direction - I gave up paid sky club membership because of the change. WN has never had any lounges to bar me from, though.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I have A-list and now that it makes no difference in checking bags or getting through security, I can't imagine why you would do a segment run just to get it. Checking in at T-24 will almost always get you a window or aisle, so I'm not sure what A-list does for you.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I have A-list and now that it makes no difference in checking bags or getting through security, I can't imagine why you would do a segment run just to get it. Checking in at T-24 will almost always get you a window or aisle, so I'm not sure what A-list does for you.
Same day standby is all I miss. I had an excellent success rate, booking cheap late night flights and leaving whenever we actually want to.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You are correct. Same day standby may be worth a segment run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.