Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Berlin (@Potsdamer Platz) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton Berlin (@Potsdamer Platz) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Booking made on Classic Travel. Got a mid-level suite with the Virtuoso freebies for the same as Marriott were trying to flog me a base suite at a lower category hotel while pretending their website wasn't broken.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
We arrived into the marble-laden lobby of the Ritz-Carlton Berlin in the center of the German capital at Potzdamer Platz, to be welcomed by an enormous Christmas tree and gingerbread house that had been erected in celebration of the season.

The recent renovation - see below - has left the whole property gleaming, from the marble floors that run throughout to the ultra-shiny bedroom doors lining the warm, wide corridors. We were given a warm welcome at the front desk and offered a plate of German cookies.

Sugar cravings satisfied we headed up to our room on the tenth floor. We were given club level access which allowed us to enjoy drinks, snacks and even meals included in the price of the stay.

The hotel really oozes luxury from the moment you walk through the doors and are confronted by a giant sweeping marble staircase. The newly renovated curtain bar and gorgeously refurbished lounge area make for comfortable seating around the hotel’s lobby.

As I hinted at earlier the hotel has recently undergone a massive renovation which sees the rooms as some of the most luxurious in the city, coupling the timeless elegance of Art Deco with modern facilities like state of the art lighting and USB ports in every room.

The Art Deco theme runs throughout the hotel with solid lines of silver, black, gold and metal running in floor patterns and along walls, and the exterior of the hotel too was based on the Art Deco icon that is the Rockefeller Center in New York.

Everything is pleasing to the eye with no glaring colour clashes or designs. The hotel even smells great with a sweet floral aroma filling the air. After coming n from a long day of touring in sometimes bitterly cold temperatures there was a an enveloping sense of warmth and homeliness in the hotel, despite the big brand name.

Up in the bedroom the luxurious character of the hotel continues with soft shades of purple, grey and gold giving a solid ambience to the space. The bathroom, complete with huge mirrors and underfloor heating - again in Art Deco style - also has a warm and inviting feel. Pink and white marble runs throughout the bathroom giving it a sunny atmosphere on even the most dreary of Berlin winter days, of which we encountered several!

Guests on the tenth floor have access to the club lounge which offers breakfast, hours d’oeuvres / afternoon tea and then dinner snacks. It is one of the most comprehensive lounge offerings I have ever encountered with plenty of variety to satisfy even the most picky of palettes. We tried to have at least breakfast and evening snacks there most days, but it seemed to me that some people never ever left the place!

After a long day touring the capital, it was always relaxing to come back to the hotel. On an evening the Curtains bar provided a relaxing place to have a drink or a snack. On weekend evenings a pianist and lounge singer take to the stage to entertain drinkers. The bar is beautifully designed and not at all pretentious. The singer that I heard took popular songs and made them her own with her powerful yet soulful voice. It was a great way to spend an hour or so while snacking on a tasty burger or plate of “Party” nachos.

A couple of things slightly irked us during the day but these might seem persnickety given the overall high standard of the stay: The cleaning of the room was fine but empty or half empty bottles of soda were left instead of being cleared away... turndown requests were also bare minimum and toiletries would not always automatically be replaced. I had to request every single day extra towels to be brought and even when I saw the member of housekeeping in the corridor, they still tended to forget my request. Even when I called down, towels would often not arrive and I had to go out into the corridor on one occasion and knock on the door where housekeeping were already servicing a room to get some extra towels!

Sometimes offerings in the club lounge were not topped up or replaced as often as they could have been at both breakfast and dinner.That said, the staff there were also only too happy to oblige and send downstairs for fresh portions of whatever was desired. I also felt that despite the lounge being self-service, the very fact staff are present should see them welcoming guests and asking if they would like drinks immediately upon arrival . Often there could be very long gaps before I would see a member of staff to help me, perhaps with a hi-chair or ordering an alcoholic or hot drink. That being said, these are small issues that can be easily worked upon.

Also, before clearing the buffet away at the end of breakfast and dinner service, the staff members should inform guests in the lounge that they are about to clear away the dishes if they would like to get any last minute things. For those not sitting right by the food, it would be a complete surprise to see that everything had been cleared away.

The hotel’s location is also excellent: right opposite the Potsdamer Platz station and just a short distance from the Reichstag and the famous Brandenburg Gate. There could hardly be a more fitting place in which to spend your time in the fascinating city that is Berlin.

DrMilano and nexusCFX like this.

Last edited by Johnny Rocket; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
@Johnny Rocket thank you for your post. I'm staying here in May with one of my club upgrade certs, and I haven't seen any recent reviews of the property.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ton-Belin.html
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
We were given club level access which allowed us to enjoy drinks, snacks and even meals included in the price of the stay.
Thank you for a very descriptive review. Were you upgraded from non-club booking to club access ? As Platinum or Platinum Premier ?
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by raunow
Thank you for a very descriptive review. Were you upgraded from non-club booking to club access ? As Platinum or Platinum Premier ?
The hotel restaurant wasn't open because it is still being renovated until the end of January. I made the case that they should offer me something else instead and asked for lounge access. I got in touch with the Quality & Training manager who regularly responds on Trip Advisor, and she upgraded both rooms to club level and lounge access.

I thought it was a really nice gesture and she said it was worth $140 a day!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, A3 Gold, M&M Senator
Has anyone ever been upgraded to a suite? They come with airport pickup.. Is that included if you would get pre-upgraded?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the review w/ pics. I haven't been there in several years, so nice to have a fresh (pardon the pun) update.

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott press release on the 40 million Euro renovation.

https://news.marriott.com/2019/03/us...-deco-glamour/

Cheers.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Ritz Carlton Berlin = Marriott Ambassador Benefits Better than Expected

The Ritz Carlton, Berlin

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Ritz Carlton, Berlin

Potsdamer Platz 3 Berlin, DE 10785

Ritz Carlton Berlin = Marriott Ambassador Benefits Better than Expected (16 Photos)

The Ritz Carlton, Berlin

Berlin is generally not seen as a hot bed of top notch hotels; I stayed at Hilton before and it was ok but I was looking for a change.  I initially considered Waldorf Astoria but that property is often getting some lukewarm reviews; also the Best Rate Guarantee team gave me the run around several times on valid claims so I gave up and considered other hotels instead.  For my dates, Grand Hyatt did not have standard suites available anymore for Globalist upgrades, instead I wanted to use points to upgrade to a premium suite, but they refused and said the room type I wanted was not eligible, in contradiction with their own website.  I am not a regular guest at Ritz Carlton hotels, in part because similar to Fairmont there is no elite breakfast and no free lounge access.  However one favorable change at the RC brand is that elites can now receive upgrades to suites so I am more inclined to stay at RC than in the past; I suspected I would get a modest upgrade to a junior suite if I booked RC Berlin so not the most amazing stuite, but better than a “view room”.  All this to say that RC Berlin was not my first choice but luckily I found a very good BRG and knowing they recently renovated their rooms, was I looking forward to try this hotel, breakfast or not.  

Room

I saw a few days before arrival that we had been upgraded to a junior suite which was aligned with my expectations.  The junior suite sells for roughly 100 EUR more than the price of a standard room which is a decent upgrade and I would not complain. That said the entry level room is already quite large at 40 sq meters and the junior suite is not hugely different at 50 sq meters so even without an upgrade I would have been ok.  We arrived around noon and unfortunately our room was not ready.  As we waited near reception we were asked if we wanted a drink and we asked for water, I was shocked to find out afterwards the price was 12 EUR, exactly 10% of the price of daily Club Lounge access for a day - quite excessive.  So it was not the best start having to wait and pay this price for water particularly since there are plenty of shops around, but we eventually got our room at 2pm.  

Renovations at this hotel were a success in my opinion at least based on our room which looked good with new and excellent quality furniture throughout.  Our room was at the far end of the corridor so quiet and no heavy foot traffic outside. We were not disturbed by noise at any time during our stay, possibly in part thanks to the thick doors.  There was a large window near the living area and another one closer to the bed where the wall is at an angle.  The bed was very comfortable and air conditioning strong, which we really needed after sweating in Andaz Amsterdam during the heat wave a few days prior; we had great sleep in RC Berlin.  The bathroom is all marble and looks luxurious, the shower is a bit small but it has a dual rain shower and hand shower which you can operate at the same time, plus a convenient mirror.  The toilet enclosure has a partially frosted glass door which you can see through – this was probably the only feature I did not like. For this reason it requires you to close the door of the entire bathroom when using the toilet and it defeats the purpose of having a door for the toilet to being with.  Bathroom amenities were the standard Ritz Carlton Asprey Purple Water which we always enjoy.  According to electronic temperature controls it looks like you can have heated floors in the bathroom which we did not need in July but definitely a plus in the winter. 

IMG_5306.jpegIMG_5307.jpegIMG_5308.jpegIMG_5309.jpegIMG_5310.jpegIMG_5311.jpegIMG_5312.jpegIMG_5313.jpeg

Dining

As per Marriott rules I did not expect to get free breakfast because of the RC brand exclusion, but at check-in I was told breakfast was 6:30-10:30am and that it was included for us.  When arriving in our room I double-checked my reservation and there was no mention of breakfast so I thought perhaps it was a mistake because I did not book a rate including breakfast.  The first morning I sent a message in the chat feature of the Marriott app to ask about breakfast and I was told it was free for us because of our Bonvoy status.  Perhaps this property decided to be more generous than the rules; if so then kudos to them.  I did not want to rock the boat and ask for details.  We ended up having breakfast in the Pots restaurant every day except the day of departure.

You have the choice of having breakfast inside the restaurant or on the terrace outside.  The seating arrangement inside is a bit tight and it was made worse by the hotel closing a section of tables near the entrance on the first day although later during our stay that section was open as the hotel was more fully booked. The breakfast buffet had standard western options of hot food including sausages, omelets, etc.  They had smoked salmon and gravlax, both of which were good. For fruits it was fairly standard except they had passion fruit available which I was pleased with, but on one morning perhaps they ran out and there was none by the time we got there. You can also have free flow champagne although during our stay they changed it to sparkling wine when the hotel got busier which might or might not be a coincidence.

IMG_5316.jpegIMG_5317.jpegIMG_5318.jpegIMG_5319.jpegIMG_5320.jpegIMG_5321.jpeg

All in all, there is no way I would complain about free RC breakfast given they go above and beyond the rules, and it’s not like breakfast was poor: it included some luxury options such as free flow sparkling wine and good smoked salmon.  However apart from that, if this was a St.Regis hotel I would say it was no better than average particularly hot food choices could include something more creative, and fruits left to be desired when there was no passion fruit, in other words very Sheraton-like for fruit choices if I allow myself to be a bit critical.

IMG_5385.jpeg

Service

Usually when we go to a hotel lounge we have more frequent contact with staff and we are in better position to assess service, but on this trip we did not go to the Club Lounge.  We had asked ahead of time to get lounge access for a couple of days during our stay (but not the entire stay) which they agreed to for 120 EUR for day, but my wife ended up being a bit under the weather so we skipped. Other than the lounge, from what I can tell service in the hotel is fine: they sent me a pre-arrival e-mail and helped me with directions to the hotel, service in the restaurant for breakfast was decent, housekeeping was well done exactly at the time requested, I had a few interactions in the chat feature during our stay for various requests which were all handled efficiently, etc.  I would also note that we received a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries as a welcome gift.  

IMG_5315.jpeg

The location of the hotel is very good as it is within walking distance of many tourist sites.   You are also right in front of the Potsdamer Platz train station so no need to walk long distances to catch public transportation, however for some destinations it requires you to change train lines to access parts of the city so perhaps a slightly less convenient location than hotels near more major train stations, but quite good nonetheless.

Gym

The gym is a bit small but it has brand new and modern equipment which have the large glossy screens which I like.  

Overall

Overall we had a very solid stay, this hotel has great hardware with nicely done renovations, free breakfast, and suite upgrade, albeit somewhat modest but suite nonetheless, so I am not sure there is a whole lot more I could ask for.  I could have gone to Waldorf instead thinking I would get breakfast there, but RC offers it to elite members too and it is less clear that I would have had a suite upgrade at Waldorf, even a modest one.  In addition, RC does not give free Club Lounge access, but on some trips if we want to pay for it, at least the lounge is available at RC to meet our needs, which is simply not a choice at WA; having a paying lounge is better than no lounge and guests are free to decide.  So all in all we found RC to be good value and they found themselves new customers – we are likely to return to this hotel on our next visit to Berlin because without having visited WA it is hard to expect better than what we got at RC and we were pleased enough that I would possibly not shop around next time.

Ritz Carlton Berlin = Marriott Ambassador Benefits Better than Expected

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz Carlton, Berlin?

No, thank you.
Yes
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:57 am

Curious if any FTers can corroborate the above experience regarding breakfast being granted to elites? Similar to the above poster, I'd usually stay at the Hilton but would like something a bit nicer. However I also just have this visceral reaction to being a top-tier elite, yet staying at the highest end property in a chain and getting absolutely nothing for it. The RC is overall a much better property but tough to walk from the Hilton and give up lounge, great breakfast, and possibly upgrade in order to become 100+ night/year Ambassador "dirt" at RC.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Curious if any FTers can corroborate the above experience regarding breakfast being granted to elites? Similar to the above poster, I'd usually stay at the Hilton but would like something a bit nicer. However I also just have this visceral reaction to being a top-tier elite, yet staying at the highest end property in a chain and getting absolutely nothing for it. The RC is overall a much better property but tough to walk from the Hilton and give up lounge, great breakfast, and possibly upgrade in order to become 100+ night/year Ambassador "dirt" at RC.
Check the Virtuoso rate which includes breakfast and 100-200EUR spend. It worked out cheaper than Marriott even ignoring breakfast when I went.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Check the Virtuoso rate which includes breakfast and 100-200EUR spend. It worked out cheaper than Marriott even ignoring breakfast when I went.
Thanks - I've had a look and I have better rate options by a good bit. Was just curious about benefits for a straight cash booking.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Anyone know if the lounge here is open and operates as normal on saturdays and sundays ?
Meaning they have full service and serve all food like on weekdays ?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Anyone know if the lounge here is open and operates as normal on saturdays and sundays ?
Meaning they have full service and serve all food like on weekdays ?
As an RC I’d certainly expect it to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.