Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

NEW : Westin Hotel, San Jose, CA (was Sainte Claire Hotel) opening July 9 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW : Westin Hotel, San Jose, CA (was Sainte Claire Hotel) opening July 9 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:31 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
FYI - have stayed here a few times, nice upgrade every time. One complaint: it's very, very noisy.

They really needed to invest in replacing the windows with something soundproof due to the light rail tracks outside, but apparently chose not to. It runs from 5AM-midnight, so east coasters beware.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
I have had nice upgrades at this hotel, but San Jose's woeful lack of full-service hotel capacity isn't helping this hotel's urgency about real noise problems (and poor customer service).

E.g.: my complaint re: 5AM construction noise outside my 5th floor Market Street facing window... the front desk (manager?) insisted there was no construction or noise problem... except "maybe sometimes at night from the [Marriott] bar across the street".

I guess he thought he could convince me I was mistaken about waking up in bed to the sound of construction equipment beeping... at 5:00, :15, :30, :45 until I gave up and got out of bed... Really....

I gave up, walked outside and saw a cement mixer and an 8 foot drill attached to a backhoe. I took a picture.

Not sure if he was too lazy to walk outside, just sick of noise complaints the hotel and/or city won't address or just didn't care.

Whatever the case, poor service.

On the last day of my visit, I asked for a 2PM checkout extension (not event a 4PM checkout). Very blunt (uncoached, ham-fisted) response: sorry, not possible, fully committed. I understand late platinum checkout is subject to availability, but it seemed odd for a Thursday and I certainly didn't appreciate the tone.

Lastly, I submitted similar feedback via the hotel's survey and haven't heard a word. I have never submitted feedback below a "5" (frankly below a "7") on the spg survey without some kind of contact from the hotel.

On multiple levels, it seems like this hotel is struggling and / or just doesn't care. They don't need to do better, and they let you know it.

I can't imagine patrons at the nearby Marriott and Fairmont have those kinds of issues. And for $390/night, patrons at this Westin shouldn't have to deal with them either.

Last edited by wildblueyonder; Dec 1, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by wildblueyonder
On the last day of my visit, I asked for a 2PM checkout extension (not event a 4PM checkout). Very blunt (uncoached, ham-fisted) response: sorry, not possible, fully committed. I understand late platinum checkout is subject to availability, but it seemed odd for a Thursday and I certainly didn't appreciate the tone.
Late platinum checkout is only subject to availability at resorts and conference center. I assume (but could be wrong) that the Westin San Jose is neither and that this should be reported.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
While my stay hasn't been perfect, I do really like this hotel--and the staff here have gone to crazy lengths to help me celebrate my husband's birthday today/tonight. It really is amazing. And the suite they managed to upgrade us to for your final 2 nights with my husband is wonderful--even as the hotel is at almost full capacity, to boot.

I've now met more of the hotel team, some on an even personal level, in a way that is exceedingly rare IME. The last time something like this happened we were at Amansara in Cambodia 3 yrs ago.

A full review will be forthcoming!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Fantastic stay at Westin San Jose, with a few service misses

The Westin San Jose

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

The Westin San Jose

302 South Market Street San Jose, California US 95113

Fantastic stay at Westin San Jose, with a few misses but amazing service recovery! (16 Photos)

The Westin San Jose

I stayed for 3 nights at the Westin San Jose for a business trip, extended for the final night to spend with my husband to celebrate his birthday with a extravagant dinner at nearby 3 Michelin star restaurant, Manresa.

My SPG Platinum Suite Night Awards (SNAs) went through for a Studio Suite about 5 days prior to arrival. Fortunately, since I was planning to celebrate a special occasion with my husband on the final night, the gracious Sales Manager upgraded us further to the Palm Suite for the final 2 nights. I'm sure being a Platinum 100 night loyal SPG guest was a boon to my cause, but that just goes to show how Starwood so often recognizes and rewards such loyalty.

This was my second stay at the hotel, having stayed here for several nights almost exactly a year prior.

Check In

Check in was an area where the hotel could've done a little better, though the desk attendant was friendly and tried to be helpful. I had called in advance since I was driving down from San Francisco and wanted to be sure I could get into my room early and ask about being further upgraded; the attendant who answered wasn't the most helpful. 

Once at the hotel, check in was smooth and efficient, though I still couldn't get an answer about getting further upgraded for our special occasion. Only a little bit later would that be addressed and resolved (and handled beautifully). 

Room

I will describe both rooms, since both were lovely. Air conditioning efficiency was a bit of an issue for me in both rooms, but then I love it cold: 65 F or so. They graciously brought me a fan to use in both rooms, and that combined with the air con made me reasonably comfortable. The Palm Suite air con was slightly better than the Studio Suite air con (at least for the Studio I was in).

STUDIO SUITE

This was the suite upgrade from my SNAs. It basically is a junior suite, perfectly spacious and nicely appointed. Its biggest weakness is the bathroom, which is quite small and had but a single vanity. Otherwise, this room category is quite nice for a single guest, but the bathroom would be quite small for 2 guests IMO.

The bed area was lovely. The bed was as Heavenly as advertised.

20161026_143624.jpg

20161026_143652.jpg

There as an alcove to the left of the fireplace with a desk and stand.

1_20161026_143727.jpg

There was an alcove to the right of the fireplace with a bar/dresser area.

1_20161026_143706.jpg

As I had said, the bathroom was quite small. But beautifully appointed. The water pressure for the shower was wonderful.

20161026_143803.jpg

The hotel GM had left a lovely note and welcome gift, likely helped along by my spectacular Ambassador if I had to guess!

20161026_144200.jpg

PALM SUITE:

The Sales Manager managed to get me upgraded on my second day to the Palm Suite. She had even tried to get us into the Grand Suite, but it was occupied.

The Palm Suite was an open plan suite with bedroom and living areas...and a massive bathroom and indoor jacuzzi deck, to boot! Lots of natural light and extremely well appointed, this was a perfect way to enjoy my husband's birthday.

The living area was spacious and separated from the bedroom area by a two way TV cabinet wall.

20161027_163742.jpg

20161027_163759.jpg

The bedroom area was a little tight but still perfectly fine for 1 or 2 guests IMO.

20161027_163812.jpg

20161027_163939.jpg

There was a desk alcove from the bedroom into the bathroom, where the spacious closet was also located.

1_20161027_163828.jpg

The bath again was huge! With a jacuzzi deck, a large walk in shower, a private toilet room, and a lovely and well appointed double vanity.20161027_163842.jpg

20161027_163901.jpg

20161027_163908.jpg

20161027_163922.jpg

20161028_100959.jpg

Service

Despite the few service miscues to start my stay, service turned out to be exemplary.

I had the first miscue when calling ahead to see when my early check in Studio Suite would truly be ready--as I hate waiting--and to see if there were any chance for a higher upgrade. The front desk attendant simply was unable to handle the queries in a confident, comfortable manner. But this was minor, if annoying for a Westin where supposedly everyone is equipped to make "management" decisions. A simple training issue, to be sure.

The second miscue came when ordering room service dinner...which was seriously delayed (50+ minutes). When I called down, the different front desk attendant was not helpful nor terribly apologetic. I mentioned expecting the order to be free due to the delay...and he at first tried to change the subject. I persisted and mentioned he wasn't handling this well, and he demurred and agreed the order would be comp'd. Another issue of better training.

After those, however, the hotel REALLY came through with service in spades. The Sales Manager contacted me, as she was the most senior manager in property--and she was a DELIGHT. She smoothed over the previous incidents, and assured me she would make sure our stay was fabulous. And it was. She even tried to upgrade me to the Grand Suite, the hotel's top accommodation, but that was still  occupied by a guest who wasn't supposed to stay that long. So I was upgraded instead to the Palm Suite, the hotel's second nicest suite, which we loved. Considering I'd already received the SNA suite upgrade, these were beautiful gestures.

On top of that, the Sales Manager also made sure that a welcome box of chocolates was waiting for us when I returned with my husband for our final night together. She had to go out and buy it. Really a VERY nice touch.

In the end, the management team really came through here for a special occasion as we had. I also believe they called Manresa and asked them to treat us extremely well, as we arrived to get the obviously best table in the house. VERY nice touch!

Dining

The food quality for the room service (I rarely dine in hotel restaurants when I am alone for business travel) was very good. Other than the 1 delayed order, which was comp'd, all my other room service orders were promptly delivered.

I had previously stayed here a year ago and had a great dinner with friends in the hotel's restaurant. 

I like the hotel's location, as it was central to my client meetings and also only about 5-10 min drive from the San Jose airport. The Marriott was directly across the street, the Four Points was just around the block, and the Hilton was just a block away for comparison.

Overall

Overall, I do love this hotel. Though the air con isn't always up to my standard, they were able to bring me a fan to offset that issue--and the service recovery was spectacular in every instance. The fact that they so treated us as VIPs for my husband's birthday went a long way, too. In the end, though, I really love the more boutique feel to the hotel and the intimate feel for the guest rooms and suites. 

But this service here may have been the best I've ever received from any Westin anywhere in the world. Kudos and thanks!!!! You know who you are!!!

Fantastic stay at Westin San Jose, with a few misses but amazing service recovery!

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin San Jose?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gabo02
Looks like we will have another Starwood option to stay at while traveling to San Jose. Excited about this rebranding

http://www.bizjournals.com/mobile/sa...te-claire.html
How is parking around there?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by abraxis
How is parking around there?
Hotel valet or surface lot right across the street for $20 something/ day.

Had a mixed stay recently...multiple rooms booked....nice rooms (historic yet updated and fresh feeling) but major billing and stay/credit issues despite several attempts to clarify while onsite and after the fact. Took two weeks and and several follow up attempts by myself and ambassador to straighten out, which was very frustrating. Staff were very nice, but inability to get things correct left us feeling like they were incompetent, which is not a judgement I make lightly.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gabo02
Looks like we will have another Starwood option to stay at while traveling to San Jose. Excited about this rebranding

http://www.bizjournals.com/mobile/sa...te-claire.html
Well, am here now. Valet parking is $40 or $25 across the street overnight. There's lots of metered parking but "No Parking from 0300-0600". Grrr.

Front desk did plat recognition and was fine. Placed in a corner room which was nice. The building is historic and nice with a real fake fireplace in the room.

Now for some odd reason, the Westin San Jose has no luggage racks in the hotel or any of the rooms. Normally you'd find one in the closet. I use luggage racks to hold my dialysis machine so I can do my overnight treatments. When I called guest services to request a luggage rack, all I got was the "we don't have that" response. When I called the second time to ask for a folding table or something flat, they brought a bench up. It's weird that they don't have folding luggage racks. Because of that, your luggage will go on the furniture in the room; furniture that's usually meant for people.

Really, a full service hotel with no luggage racks???

Breakfast was excellent. The hotel restaurant is the Il Fornaio. Great place to use your Plat breakfast benefit. And if you want something more old school, Original Joe's is down the block. Better place to spend $40 than valet.

Last edited by abraxis; Aug 20, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Two more very good stays—with some air con and a few service misses

The Westin San Jose

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

The Westin San Jose

302 South Market Street San Jose, California US 95113

Two more very good stays—with some air con and a few service misses (14 Photos)

The Westin San Jose

I just completed two more stays at the Westin San Jose: last week for 2 nights, and this week for 1 night.

The hotel graciously tried to upgrade me last week to its Saint Claire Suite—but the bedroom air con unit was broken. As I require it to be as cold as possible, and since the suite’s living room was clearly colder than the bedroom, they found me a Studio Suite that had better air con...but not great air con.

On my return, they assigned me a lower floor Studio Suite in hope that the air con would work better. It did...but just a little. 

Otherwise, I was very happy with my stays. I really love the Westin’s decor and style, and they always try to treat me well. 

Room

The original Saint Claire Suite I was assigned is a nice suite for those looking for a spacious living room. But the same small one vanity bath (as is found in the smaller Studio Suite) is surprising for the sized suite.

28F396E4-D0C6-4870-B0C1-04BDFAE263D0.jpe

C4B7CDE7-EEE1-4BAB-A65C-7E4CA7332D6D.jpe

96875BA7-ECC5-4620-AAA8-133F85A4651D.jpe

E8EA9869-E158-4357-85DF-7A23D11A4474.jpe

DDD0B5CE-8A5C-48FC-8162-00C47CDCCFD0.jpe

F441B98F-5FCA-450E-9316-B3AC41AC7158.jpe

9FC63DA6-952E-4F3C-8481-E2F24D93E52E.jpe

95A02C4C-7113-457A-B5F7-BA3D599EAC25.jpe

My hotel team always is gracious with a welcome gift, and since Halloween was coming up:

A724F8E5-086B-4A59-A733-931D427F4EAC.jpe

After the engineer identified the broken coil in the bedroom air con unit (just my luck), I was moved within a few hrs to a Studio Suite room 649:

EA91876F-349F-4C42-92B0-5D0452F83929.jpe

A1C4742B-8BCB-451B-A43A-6BB10FA462D6.jpe

89850E97-BCE8-449C-BAA2-DD3198C4017C.jpe

A28B1537-8338-401F-92E5-C172E0787013.jpe

67FF9FCC-C1FA-4821-A1E8-694E8C2A8DA1.jpe

This Studio Suite was the same category I had for the first night of my previously reviewed stayed last year...and was the same category I had for my second 1 night stay this week, though I was in room 549 on my second stay.

I am very partial to this Studio Suite when traveling alone for work, as it is beautiful and yet extremely comfortable. My only complaint is that the air con wasn’t as good as that in the living room of the original Saint Claire Suite—though the hotel provided me a fan and extension cord which more than sufficed to keep me comfortable for all of my nights, I just wish the air con was better.

The other issue for some could be noise. I definitely heard buses a few times at about 7;30 am or so. The hotel needs to look into its noise insulation for rooms on the street side. 

Service

Service was both great...and also a bit frustrating.

Generally, everyone was fabulous to me. I was recognized by name for both visits, just like last year. The GM helped move me when the air con failed on my first stay, Room Service orders were delivered very promptly. The fan was brought up quickly. The extension cord was brought quickly when I asked for it.  The valets always had me car waiting for me when requested.

But too often when I dialed Guest Service, the phone would ring 10-20 Times before someone picked up. It was a consistent problem for both stays.

Dining

I had room service several times on my first stay. And I had room service breakfast on my second stay. But I also had another chance to dine at the Il Fornaio Restaurant downstairs on my second stay—for dinner with a colleague.

Room Service was great. Food was great and hot, and always promptly delivered. 

Il Fornaio food was outstanding...but the Thuraday night Service starred off very slow. They clearly were understaffed, and the manager did comp us a round of drinks by way of apology. The rest of our meal was great.

Overall, great food and beverage at the Westin.

There isn’t much around, but the other major hotels are all very close: the Marriott is across the street, the Hilton is around the block, and the Four Points is another block away. The location is very convenient for me, though, as it’s jusr 10 min from the SJC airport and maybe 10-30 min from all of my clients in the area.

Overall

My stays weren’t perfect. But I still very much enjoy staying here at the Westin. The air con issue gives me pause, I concede, but they so try to take care of me despite my air con madness that I feel very taken care of, despite the air con weakness. I really do feel like I’m returning to a family I know well whenever I do come back here,

Two more very good stays—with some air con and a few service misses

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin San Jose?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by abraxis

Really, a full service hotel with no luggage racks???

ATTN: abraxis

It appears that the Westin San Jose DOES have luggage racks, unless bhrubin travels with a personal one. Perhaps she/he can clarify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.