Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Capella Bangkok = River Suite >>>>> Courtyard Suite

Capella Bangkok

3 Reviews | 33% Recommended

Capella Bangkok

300/2 Charoenkrung Road Yannawa, Sathorn Bangkok, TH 10120

Capella Bangkok = River Suite >>>>> Courtyard Suite (13 Photos)

Capella Bangkok

I have reviewed Capella Bangkok in the past but this time I stayed in the River Suite for the first time so I thought I would add a few comments including some differences I noticed compared to previous stays.  Overall I like to mix things up by staying at different hotels in Bangkok but Capella is among my favorites to be part of a rotation of hotels I enjoy to return to. 

Room

Last time I had the Courtyard Suite which I was not a fan of.  In my opinion the River Suite is significantly better despite having a bit less space (95 sqm vs CY Suite 101 sqm).  While the CY Suite was a bit dark and no views, the River Suite is the complete opposite because the room was built to maximize river views.  In many other river hotels, the narrow part of the room is the one in the direction of the river, but at Capella it’s the opposite.  There are river views from almost everywhere: the living room, the bathroom (including the shower), and the bedroom / balcony; this is because the suite is long and narrow with the long side being the one with the windows.  Only the half bathroom near the entrance does not have views.

Our room was on a high floor (8th out of 10) and I believe all the River Suites are in that spot at the far end of the hallway of each floor (x01) therefore there was zero foot traffic outside the room and it was very quiet.

For people with children, I was surprised to find the tee-pee in our room once again, I thought we had it during our previous stay because it was our daughter’s one-year birthday but instead they told us they systematically offer a tee-pee with child’s name on it to families with children unless they run out of them.  This definitely a nice touch.

IMG_3931.jpegIMG_3932.jpegIMG_3934.jpeg1_IMG_3935.jpeg1_IMG_3936.jpeg1_IMG_3937.jpegIMG_3938.jpeg

Dining

The breakfast a la carte menu has been expanded slightly and I found a few more options than before.  For instance the Kanom Jeen was a nice addition and is not a dish I often see in Bangkok because it is a specialty from the south (Phuket, Koh Samui).  Also they now have two versions of the menu depending on the day of the week, there is some overlap between them but some dishes differ.  So for guests on a long stay, the menu would not get repetitive with always the same choices.  

1_IMG_3956.jpeg1_IMG_3957.jpegIMG_3958.jpegIMG_3959.jpeg

Cin Cin hour has also slightly changed: instead of offering a cocktail of the day, they now have a formal menu available with various drink options.  

1_IMG_3962.jpeg1_IMG_3963.jpeg

Service

The service hiccups I noticed in my previous stay did not re-occur: housekeeping was always done exactly at the time I requested and they did not drop the ball.  The rest of the service continues to stand out favorably and even more so as repeat guests with several managers making the rounds at various times and venues to chat with guests and get to know their clientele.  The service delivery is more down-to-earth than at Mandarin Oriental which suits us best although that can be a matter of personal preference.  

Overall

Capella is more expensive than most other luxury hotels in Bangkok but I find the price premium justified for the product offered which is why I continue to return.  I have now seen 4 different room types at Capella.  I can understand the appeal of the Verandah room but personally Bangkok is not the place I am looking for a private plunge pool since my stays in Bangkok are almost always combined with stays in resorts where I find it more suitable.  If I want a suite then I found the River Suite far superior to the CY Suite and worth paying extra for it, and if not a suite then I think I even prefer the Riverfront Premier room over the CY suite.

Capella Bangkok = River Suite >>>>> Courtyard Suite

Would you like to write a review on the Capella Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Did they also give these kids welcome amenities for your child?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by escape4
Our room was on a high floor (8th out of 10) and I believe all the River Suites are in that spot at the far end of the hallway of each floor (x01) therefore there was zero foot traffic outside the room and it was very quiet.
The River Suites are indeed at both ends of the higher floors (01 and 11 I think), except for the 9th floor which has River View Premier Suites with a slightly different layout. The 10th floor then oddly goes back to River Suites again, so 8th floor is the second highest floor of River Suite. I think I might prefer the River Suite layout to the Premier even though it is technically a lower room category. My last review in the Bangkok thread is the 1011 River Suite, which probably has the best views in the hotel.

I do agree with you about Capella, understated excellence all round.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by Aventine

Did they also give these kids welcome amenities for your child?
Earlier this week that was the case, but instead of those green beans/candies it was a multi-coloured candy.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Did they also give these kids welcome amenities for your child? escape4
The ones on the right of your picture yes, but I assumed it was for us adults. Since our daughter is 16 months old they must have guessed the ones on the left of your pictures were premature for her so they skipped
Aventine likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PlatExec, Bonvoy Plat
Thanks escape4 . We'll be staying in a pool villa (one the hotel's promo deals, I think buy 2/get 2 in a few weeks, looking forward to it!
Old Feb 24, 2023, 7:22 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I emailed yesterday to ask sone questions about an offer on the website for this weekend. It took 7 hours for the Reservations Manager to respond answering none of my questions, rather a vague and obtuse response.

I was shocked that an ultra lux chain could misinterpret some fairly basic questions. I was also told its better to book through the GDS. Im not a TA and never indicated that I was.

I deleted the email and wont be booking.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I emailed yesterday to ask sone questions about an offer on the website for this weekend. It took 7 hours for the Reservations Manager to respond answering none of my questions, rather a vague and obtuse response.

I was shocked that an ultra lux chain could misinterpret some fairly basic questions. I was also told its better to book through the GDS. Im not a TA and never indicated that I was.

I deleted the email and wont be booking.
That's a pity. You're missing out on a great property here. Why not use your preferred TA to get the same deal and maybe more?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:17 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
That's a pity. You're missing out on a great property here. Why not use your preferred TA to get the same deal and maybe more?
I would have but were now past the cancellation period of our current booking somewhere else.

My questions related to suites and their orientation/views.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PlatExec, Bonvoy Plat
Time zones and language barriers often still play a part in emails to hotels/resorts, but my own experience of communicating with them before, during, and even after the visit (my wife left an airpod in her dressing gown which was shipped (free) to our next stop in Thailand!) was excellent. I'd try again, it's a good place with excellent staff.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
Time zones and language barriers often still play a part in emails to hotels/resorts, but my own experience of communicating with them before, during, and even after the visit (my wife left an airpod in her dressing gown which was shipped (free) to our next stop in Thailand!) was excellent. I'd try again, it's a good place with excellent staff.
I am in the same time zone. I emailed at 12:30PM and got a response at 7:30PM.

First impressions....
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
It took 7 hours for the Reservations Manager to respond answering none of my questions, rather a vague and obtuse response.

I was shocked that an ultra lux chain could misinterpret some fairly basic questions.
It is not so rare that my experience with the reservations department of various hotels can be suboptimal only to be fully compensated by great customer-facing staff once at the hotel. Or it can be the sign of something wrong with the culture at the hotel. In this case, it's the former not the latter.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
It is not so rare that my experience with the reservations department of various hotels can be suboptimal only to be fully compensated by great customer-facing staff once at the hotel. Or it can be the sign of something wrong with the culture at the hotel. In this case, it's the former not the latter.
Fair comment.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:46 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
My experience with them pre-stay was... underwhelming, but the stay itself was quite good. I'd recommend giving them a try if your schedule ever lines up again.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave510
My experience with them pre-stay was... underwhelming, but the stay itself was quite good. I'd recommend giving them a try if your schedule ever lines up again.
Matches quite well with my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.