Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone own a Rimowa Cabin Plus (Aluminum)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone own a Rimowa Cabin Plus (Aluminum)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2024, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by tanin
I have almost the same dilemma and was close to getting the Cabin Plus (in addition to Cabin and Compact), but as for now, I suspended the idea.
For me, there are two key aspects:
1) The possibility of taking it onboard - if it will not be checked by agents. When flying in economy without proper status level, they may classify it as over the limit. And sometimes also weight may be an issue. The overhead bins should be OK, but the limits are not. So there may be a significant risk. But, if you fly business all the time, this may not be the issue for you.
2) Additional space - like do I really need it? OK, it is significantly bigger than Cabin, but most of my trips are rather short ones, so Cabin is enough, even during the winter. And when I go for a longer time, I usually prefer to do some shopping there, so due to liquid restrictions (and weight) I prefer to have checked luggage.
Original Cabin is slightly bigger inside than the Classic, but the Classic is a sort of icon of the design. So, if you need every liter of capacity, go for Original, but if you prefer the design, then Classic should be your choice.
Thanks for the pros/cons of the Classic cabin and the Original Cabin Plus. Which own did you wind up choosing, if at all? Or are you just stepping back and sticking with what you have already?
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: Miles & More FTL
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Thanks for the pros/cons of the Classic cabin and the Original Cabin Plus. Which own did you wind up choosing, if at all? Or are you just stepping back and sticking with what you have already?
As for now, I have the Compact and Original Cabin. For quite some time, I thought, that Cabin Plus was a logical extension to this set, but later I decided to give up this idea. Why? Most of my trips are for max 2 nights, so Cabin is enough. Even for 1 night, I am more than happy with Compact, and especially in the summer, it can handle clothes for 2 nights.
The Cabin Plus is good for like 4-5 nights, which for me, does not happen, almost at all. If I travel for a longer time, I still prefer to have a checked bag, some liquids, etc. And it is very easy to go over the weight limits. And the size may be an issue for some gate agents. Of course, this should not be an issue, when flying business, but some significant parts of my flights are in economy, and - at least for now - I have only silver status. So, at least for me, the Cabin Plus is not a solution.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 1:34 pm

As for now, I have the Compact and Original Cabin. For quite some time, I thought, that Cabin Plus was a logical extension to this set, but later I decided to give up this idea. Why? Most of my trips are for max 2 nights, so Cabin is enough. Even for 1 night, I am more than happy with Compact, and especially in the summer, it can handle clothes for 2 nights.
The Cabin Plus is good for like 4-5 nights, which for me, does not happen, almost at all. If I travel for a longer time, I still prefer to have a checked bag, some liquids, etc. And it is very easy to go over the weight limits. And the size may be an issue for some gate agents. Of course, this should not be an issue, when flying business, but some significant parts of my flights are in economy, and - at least for now - I have only silver status. So, at least for me, the Cabin Plus is not a solution.

That’s good to know! When I take a rollaboard, I usually travel for 3-4 weeks at a time; so based on what you’ve shared, it seems that maybe the Original Cabin Plus makes more sense for me. I’m already able to make do with my TUMI Alpha international carryon, and the cabin plus seems to offer more space without me feeling like I can’t take an extra pair of shoes or additional coat/jacket, particularly during the winter season.

Right now, I’m leaning toward Original Cabin Plus, but my goodness, the Classic Cabin is absolutely gorgeous! I was reading online, though, that the locks on the Classic Cabin are more complicated/annoying and that if they break, they take longer to repair because they’re directly bolted (I think) to the body of the suitcase. Has anyone found this to be true?
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
! I was reading online, though, that the locks on the Classic Cabin are more complicated/annoying and that if they break, they take longer to repair because they’re directly bolted (I think) to the body of the suitcase. Has anyone found this to be true?
I once almost missed a connecting flight because one of the locks on my Classic didn’t work and I couldn’t open it for Security Check at transit in CDG. I had to break it open with a screw driver that ground staff managed to find for me. I’ve never trusted the Classic since then…
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Hafnia
I once almost missed a connecting flight because one of the locks on my Classic didn’t work and I couldn’t open it for Security Check at transit in CDG. I had to break it open with a screw driver that ground staff managed to find for me. I’ve never trusted the Classic since then…
Oh my! That sounds really stressful! Until this really unfortunate incident, had you experienced anything similar to this? Or do you think it was a freak situation?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:14 pm

Just went into my local Rimowa store and tested the Classic Cabin, Original Cabin, and Original Cabin Plus.

Sales rep said that the locks on Classic Cabin are much less forgiving than those on Original models, which I agree with. I noticed the difference immediately. If you overpack the Classic, it might close but unless you sit on the suitcase and push down one side, the lock isn’t going to unclasp.

In terms of the Original Cabin and Cabin Plus, the Cabin looked similar to my Tumi in terms of dimensions. The Cabin Plus looks HUGE for some reason. While it’s clear that I’m just not used to this size, based on data points on here, the suitcase will fit in overhead bins on almost every airline. I’m a pretty efficient packer and have been able to fit most everything I need in my Tumi for trips that last almost a month.

I wonder if getting the Cabin Plus is overkill, or if it’s actually a good thing to have a larger bag (bigger than my current Tumi) that I can (hopefully) use as carryon as well.

What do you all think?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA CK (8MM), Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just went into my local Rimowa store and tested the Classic Cabin, Original Cabin, and Original Cabin Plus.

Sales rep said that the locks on Classic Cabin are much less forgiving than those on Original models, which I agree with. I noticed the difference immediately. If you overpack the Classic, it might close but unless you sit on the suitcase and push down one side, the lock isn’t going to unclasp.

In terms of the Original Cabin and Cabin Plus, the Cabin looked similar to my Tumi in terms of dimensions. The Cabin Plus looks HUGE for some reason. While it’s clear that I’m just not used to this size, based on data points on here, the suitcase will fit in overhead bins on almost every airline. I’m a pretty efficient packer and have been able to fit most everything I need in my Tumi for trips that last almost a month.

I wonder if getting the Cabin Plus is overkill, or if it’s actually a good thing to have a larger bag (bigger than my current Tumi) that I can (hopefully) use as carryon as well.

What do you all think?
Obligatory mention of the Away larger roll aboard. My wife talked me into getting one. Took her two years. Love it.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

What do you all think?
Originally Posted by private_md
Obligatory mention of the Away larger roll aboard. My wife talked me into getting one. Took her two years. Love it.
I have two Rimowa carry ons - a polycarbonate Cabin Small (used to be called IATA) and the Cabin Plus. The Cabin Plus looks big, but fits in most stuff aside from a CRJ these days. I find it useful when I have going somewhere for three or four days, or I want to do stuff like pack extra shoes / workout outfits / whatever. I agree that it almost looks like a check in bag, but I like it. The smaller one is really only good for two night-ish overnight trips. I kind of wish I had a third size (either the regular Rimowa Cabin, or something like an Away/Tumi) when I want to pack lighter than the Cabin Plus but want a bit more room than the Cabin Small I have.

All that said, I really like the Cabin Plus for its ability to pack a good amount of stuff for a variety of kinds of trips. I will use it for many many years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have two Rimowa carry ons - a polycarbonate Cabin Small (used to be called IATA) and the Cabin Plus. The Cabin Plus looks big, but fits in most stuff aside from a CRJ these days. I find it useful when I have going somewhere for three or four days, or I want to do stuff like pack extra shoes / workout outfits / whatever. I agree that it almost looks like a check in bag, but I like it. The smaller one is really only good for two night-ish overnight trips. I kind of wish I had a third size (either the regular Rimowa Cabin, or something like an Away/Tumi) when I want to pack lighter than the Cabin Plus but want a bit more room than the Cabin Small I have.

All that said, I really like the Cabin Plus for its ability to pack a good amount of stuff for a variety of kinds of trips. I will use it for many many years.
Thanks for the helpful info! Out of curiosity, what are your usual flying patterns? Have you found that you’re able to carry the Cabin Plus aboard on most airlines in the US? What about in Europe and Asia?

I have status with Delta, which I usually fly domestically, and abroad, I fly mostly on KL and AF, though I will fly LH or another carrier if the price is better and direct.

I know it’s such a personal question, but do you think that the Cabin Plus is probably a better carry-on choice for someone like me who travels for a month at a time (usually in Europe or Asia) and is not afraid to wash my clothes in a sink at a hotel or when I’m at an Airbnb?

At the moment, my fiance is in Germany and will pick up a Rimowa for me (trying to save with the VAT refund), so I have to decide between the Cabin or Cabin Plus. 😄😬😬
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:52 am

Thanks for the helpful info! Out of curiosity, what are your usual flying patterns? Have you found that you’re able to carry the Cabin Plus aboard on most airlines in the US? What about in Europe and Asia?

I have status with Delta, which I usually fly domestically, and abroad, I fly mostly on KL and AF, though I will fly LH or another carrier if the price is better and direct.

I know it’s such a personal question, but do you think that the Cabin Plus is probably a better carry-on choice for someone like me who travels for a month at a time (usually in Europe or Asia) and is not afraid to wash my clothes in a sink at a hotel or when I’m at an Airbnb?

At the moment, my fiance is in Germany and will pick up a Rimowa for me (trying to save with the VAT refund), so I have to decide between the Cabin or Cabin Plus. 😄😬😬
Cabin Plus is always the better choice if you need more space than the Cabin offers. The difference is significant. But it is also a crucial question if you want to risk being forced to check it, as it is always over the size limit. Even in business, this is the Gate Agent's decision to allow it, or not. And it is very easy to go over the weight limit.
Maybe the perfect solution when flying business would be to have 2 Cabins, as this is the limit for business ticket. You have plenty of space, without the risk of checking your bag. But it is also much mess comfortable outside the plane, as you will have both hands occupied.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:58 am

Cabin Plus is always the better choice if you need more space than the Cabin offers. The difference is significant. But it is also a crucial question if you want to risk being forced to check it, as it is always over the size limit. Even in business, this is the Gate Agent's decision to allow it, or not. And it is very easy to go over the weight limit.
Maybe the perfect solution when flying business would be to have 2 Cabins, as this is the limit for business ticket. You have plenty of space, without the risk of checking your bag. But it is also much mess comfortable outside the plane, as you will have both hands occupied.
I think you're right. Cabin Plus is the better choice here. I mean, based on what people are saying on here and Reddit, most folks have been able to board with their Cabin Plus in Asia, Europe, and in North America on most legacy (and even some low-fare) carriers. I think that I'm just getting in my own head because, visually speaking, Cabin Plus just looks huge compared to my TUMI International Carryon in black. I would get the Cabin Plus in back, but apparently it does NOT age well in terms of the scratching and color coming off.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 10:02 am

I think you're right. Cabin Plus is the better choice here. I mean, based on what people are saying on here and Reddit, most folks have been able to board with their Cabin Plus in Asia, Europe, and in North America on most legacy (and even some low-fare) carriers. I think that I'm just getting in my own head because, visually speaking, Cabin Plus just looks huge compared to my TUMI International Carryon in black. I would get the Cabin Plus in back, but apparently it does NOT age well in terms of the scratching and color coming off.
I can't agree more with the last sentence, which is quite disappointing, regarding the price. My blue Cabin has quite a few scratches after maybe 15 segments, which is far from expected. And the naked aluminum clearly shows off. So the coating is far from durable. So, if you don't want to see it, just go with the silver one.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 11:44 am

I can't agree more with the last sentence, which is quite disappointing, regarding the price. My blue Cabin has quite a few scratches after maybe 15 segments, which is far from expected. And the naked aluminum clearly shows off. So the coating is far from durable. So, if you don't want to see it, just go with the silver one.
Yeah, I think silver is the way to go -- to pay this much for the coating to scratch so easily is really unfortunate.
SPN Lifer and EuropeanPete like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.