FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone own a Rimowa Cabin Plus (Aluminum)?
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:46 pm
Adelphos

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Just went into my local Rimowa store and tested the Classic Cabin, Original Cabin, and Original Cabin Plus.

Sales rep said that the locks on Classic Cabin are much less forgiving than those on Original models, which I agree with. I noticed the difference immediately. If you overpack the Classic, it might close but unless you sit on the suitcase and push down one side, the lock isn’t going to unclasp.

In terms of the Original Cabin and Cabin Plus, the Cabin looked similar to my Tumi in terms of dimensions. The Cabin Plus looks HUGE for some reason. While it’s clear that I’m just not used to this size, based on data points on here, the suitcase will fit in overhead bins on almost every airline. I’m a pretty efficient packer and have been able to fit most everything I need in my Tumi for trips that last almost a month.

I wonder if getting the Cabin Plus is overkill, or if it’s actually a good thing to have a larger bag (bigger than my current Tumi) that I can (hopefully) use as carryon as well.

What do you all think?
Originally Posted by private_md
Obligatory mention of the Away larger roll aboard. My wife talked me into getting one. Took her two years. Love it.
I have two Rimowa carry ons - a polycarbonate Cabin Small (used to be called IATA) and the Cabin Plus. The Cabin Plus looks big, but fits in most stuff aside from a CRJ these days. I find it useful when I have going somewhere for three or four days, or I want to do stuff like pack extra shoes / workout outfits / whatever. I agree that it almost looks like a check in bag, but I like it. The smaller one is really only good for two night-ish overnight trips. I kind of wish I had a third size (either the regular Rimowa Cabin, or something like an Away/Tumi) when I want to pack lighter than the Cabin Plus but want a bit more room than the Cabin Small I have.

All that said, I really like the Cabin Plus for its ability to pack a good amount of stuff for a variety of kinds of trips. I will use it for many many years.