Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-SIN v.v

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2002, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

BKK-SIN v.v

Has anyone flown this sector, as I'm finding it very hard to find any trip reports of longhaul sectors on the SK343. I'm thinking of including a CPH-SIN in a RTW. What service is offered on the BKK-SIN sector, and is it worth upgrading from Y to C - it's a quite affordable 5000pts.

Secondly, there appears to be no Business Sleepers on the 340 - is this the case? Why didn't SK reintroduce them?

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 12, 2002, 2:26 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
When are you travelling? I may have a trip report in about a month from now.

Maybe the on the new A340s the seats cannot be converted like the seats on the 767s.

My guess on the service BKK-SIN-BKK: A small meal (snack) and bar service. No amenity kits.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 6:20 am

The business sleeper is still available on the A340.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 6:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Austman:
When are you travelling? I may have a trip report in about a month from now.
</font>
Yes, yes. please a trip report on the new A340. Austman, are you flying Y class? I am especially interested in hearing how the seat pitch compares to Y in 767.

Sherman

Old Feb 12, 2002, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

I may be flying in a few months.

What are the specs of the Business Sleeper. I think on the 763 it was 52", but is it still that on the 343 (considering existing pitch is 50" already). First two rows?

It's a 2hr flight & for 5000miles it seems pretty 'cheap' for an upgrade. Better than wasting that on intra-Scandinavia.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 13, 2002, 8:28 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Guys,

Just got back from BKK with SK (I live in SIN) and had my first experience on the A343! It is a great leap forward for SAS from the 767.

The first sight of this beautiful plane at the boarding bridge was excellent, with the beige body and the red engines. The plane is now connected with 2 bridges if I remember correct.

The interior of the plane itself is very modern. The set-up is very different from before; nobody is supposed to go through the forward curtain, FA's only. I was sitting on 2B. The seat was good, with everything easily adjusted with the automated seat controls, with handy preset buttons for typical positions.

A minus point is that these very new seats are already showing a lot of wear and tear! I think they are Recaro seats, at least they have the same shape, but these are using a lot of thin plastic with thin paint. This will not make the SAS quality people happy! Also the table is said the have a swivel, but I couldnt find it. There is a connection for the laptop, but only for euro and US plugs, a UK plug will get you nowhere with this power supply. Also opening the power supply outlet cover takes some study.

Then there is the ever-popular subject of pitch, being 63 this is also of interest to me. On the forum I already read that the pitch was only going to be 50 and it is not great. They have put some techno looking carbon shoe box on the floor on the seat in front. Nice for your shoes, but not for stretching your legs. The pitch might be 50, but I cannot sleep stretched out in this seat. 1B might be a choice though; you can stick your feet through the curtain.

The food is always great, with a full meal and plenty to drink. Always good wine on SK and they just keep on pouring the whiskey.
Nice starters, good choices and the thai chicken is great. The booklets you get with the meal choices are also very nice.
Another aspect that should get attention is the toilet, with windows and a well places toilet, really very nice. You can look out over the oceans sitting down! Might lead to a queue though.

The IFE system has a touch screen, that is much better then the handset. There are only 3 channels available on BKK-SIN.
There is some sort of buffet in the middle galley block, also quite nice, but the flight was quite short so I didnt get to use it.
The A343 is a very silent plane, even more so when you are in front.

We all got an orchid when we left the plane, no discrimination like on TG.

The load was very good. Always many tour groups on SK on the BKK-SIN route. They are in the back and the economy plus was not full, so they dont fill this area up 100%. That is nice to know for those who paid extra to sit there.
SK doesnt make much money on this route, but it is good to know that they manage to keep the seats occupied.
C-class was 80% full and that seems OK for this final leg.

The arrival info on SK to SIN is outdated, the taxis are more expensive now and the airport bus is gone, only choice now is public bus at S$2.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Miles4all
Old Feb 13, 2002, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Can you post a menu?

Secondly, what are the fares on this route? Any special promos?

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 14, 2002, 3:22 am

Excellent report miles4all!

The plastic surfaces on the seats were showing wear and tear even when I flew the A340. The aircraft was just a few days old at that time.

I'll be flying on a Y class ticket CPH-BKK and SIN-CPH in the next few weeks but will try for upgrades to business class using certificates.

Old Feb 14, 2002, 7:12 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
The wear and tear only seems to be a problem on the seats. The rest of the plane interior looks OK in quality terms.

There are sometimes special fares available on SK BKK-SIN-BKK at Tb 10 000. This is really cheap. Less then USD 250! It must be the cheapest C-class fare on SK worldwide.

It would even be good for you Austman to buy just CPH-BKK-CPH in Y and then buy the final RT sector in C in BKK.

What I forgot to highlight in my report is the excellent cutlery and glass ware on SK, this is without doubt to me the best I have ever seen in the sky! Not like the clichee wedgwood.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Do you know of a good site for BKK-SIN on SK for C fares?

10000THB is very cheap! I've never seen it before, and it seems hard to get good SK fares on this route using expedia.com

Do you still have the menu from your flight? If so, we'd love to see what you were served I take it they serve dinner on these flights.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 14, 2002, 9:09 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
You have to book through a travel agency for the THB10,000 r/t fare bkk-sin-bkk C class. Better yet, if you're one-world member, you can book on AY on same route for about THB9,300.

I was trying both SK and AY website but none of them will show you the discounted/restricted business class ticket price.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

How often is this fare available? What are the conditions of it?

Even SK's advertised 5590 THB fare BKK-SIN advertised on its website seems to be unavailable when using its own booking engine (I've checked class availability & all seems fine).

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 15, 2002, 3:12 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Justin, this fare is available at all time through travel agents only. They are business restricted tickets that is they are non-endosable, non-reroutable and must be ticketed in thailand. Other than those, you can still change travel dates as often as you wish. I've also try other travel website, and no one can pull up this special fare.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 4:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by miles4all:
It would even be good for you Austman to buy just CPH-BKK-CPH in Y and then buy the final RT sector in C in BKK.

What I forgot to highlight in my report is the excellent cutlery and glass ware on SK, this is without doubt to me the best I have ever seen in the sky! Not like the clichee wedgwood.
</font>
Thanks for the tip but I'm actually travelling on the one ticket to Sydney and Melbourne. A combination of SK and SQ.

All the SAS business class presentation is now by leading Scandinavian designers. I too think it's the best looking presentation in the sky now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.