Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Requires Positive Identification On All Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2001, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Based on the terror events in the United States and the following
conflict in Afghanistan, SAS has decided to require that all passengers
be able to confirm their identity with a valid piece of identification.
This procedure is already being practiced regarding international
traffic. Identification can be made with a valid passport, ID card,
drivers license or another form of official ID. This rule is valid
immediately.

SAS CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS
Old Oct 9, 2001, 2:40 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
A good move.

But where is the photo ID checked?

Is it at check-in time at airports that don't have check-in automats? Or is it at the boarding gate? Or is it that the passenger can be randomly asked to provide photo ID?

What about children on domestic flights? Do they need photo ID?

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old Oct 9, 2001, 2:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Austman:
A good move.

But where is the photo ID checked?

</font>
They were making you show your passport at the boarding gate on some recent TG flights I was on... That would be the most sensible idea.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 3:04 am
Original Poster

I was in HAM on a mileage run on Sunday the 7th of October and I didnt need to show ID anywhere
Old Oct 9, 2001, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
For trans-Atlantic fligths with SAS I have ALWAYS had to show my passport at boarding.

Old Oct 9, 2001, 10:06 am
SMS

I just completed Hel-Arn and after doing a self checkin (100 points extra) I was never asked for ID at any point.
At the gate I had my passport ready but no-one was asked to show it.

As Goldlust said, transatlantic I always had to show it before going on board but the announcement made it sound it is for all flights worldwide now.

Well we see how long it takes to come down to everyone, but after for example I see now armed military in front of a goverment building I live across from I think the fear of something happening is big.

---
Sven
Old Oct 9, 2001, 11:03 am

Location: stockholm - AA plat, KLM RW (Thanks Flyertalk !),Marriott Plat
i just arrived in Skellefteå with a SK domestic flight. They ask your ID at the gate, when you show up with your Boarding Card.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I am flying local airport-ARN-OSL on sunday. Will report when I get back. Since this new policy was confirmed today I guess the people at HEL hadnt heard about it yet.
Old Oct 14, 2001, 1:27 am
Original Poster

I have just been on my first SK operated flight since this new policy. They asked for my ID at my local airport even though they recognize me which I think is good. In two hours I am off to OSL and I will report wheter they ask for me ID or not.
Old Oct 14, 2001, 4:45 am
Original Poster

They checked my ID both at Arlanda Airport and here at Oslo airport. One intresting note was that they had normal knives and forkes in business class of Oslo. More of that and how I ended up in business will be in my trip report one of these days.
Old Oct 14, 2001, 8:20 am

I have flown with SAS 3 times within last days and was asked to show ID only once.
PMI-CPH (Palma-Copenhagen) on 13 Oct: no ID required
CPH-ARN (Copenhagen-Stockholm) on 14 Oct: ID required
ARN-TLL (STockholm-Tallinn) on 14 Oct: no ID required

[This message has been edited by fokker50 (edited 10-14-2001).]
Old Oct 14, 2001, 1:46 pm

The most interesting thing for me was that in the lounges they have replaced metal knives, forks and spoons with wooden (Stockholm) or plastic (Cophenhagen) ones.

On my trip a few days ago I left my metal corkscrew at home because I was taking only a carry on. At the SAS hotel where I as staying, I asked for a corkscrew and was given one of the Radisson/SAS branded plastic ones. It was so sharp! Yet it has passed every X-ray test so far.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 10-15-2001).]
Old Oct 15, 2001, 4:07 am

I flew Stockholm-Copenhagen-Reykjavik-Copenhagen-Stockholm.

ARN-CPH-ARN on SAS:
I can report that SAS checked IDs at the gate in Stockholm and Copenhagen. This caused a big delay at Stockholm. They had just one person doing the boarding.

CPH-KEF-CPH on Icelandair:
Icelandair checked ID at the CPH gate. On board they used metal knives, forks and spoons. There was no extra check of ID at boarding in Reykjavik.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.