Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Flight Academy Simulator time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold

I've been talking to SAS Flight Academy about simulator flights recently. It's very expensive (they need at least 5.000SEK per hour) but also very cool.

Some of us got some time in the simulators back in 2005 on the ARN DO:
http://www.bjornstrom.se/blog/2005/0826/index_2.htm

Flight Academy is located at ARN.

Im looking into getting a better deal through "another channel" but I haven't got any solid info yet. The price quoted is daytime and im looking to get night-hour prices instead but I need an instructor that's willing to work at night.

They proposed to fly Fokker F28 since it's not so booked but I'd rather go on the Airbus 330/340 simulators. We go two-and-two in the simulator while the other pair hangs around and follow our flights on external screens.

I just wanted to ask if there is any interest from the FT EB people at say 1500 SEK per person, per flighthour?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Flying an A330/340 without instruction is really not easy. You'll have to invest some time with Microsoft FS beforehand to know what is what.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
This is an exciting idea... And thought the price is reasonable I regretfully have to pass. Still, remember some airline programs offer you this as an award!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
I know the chief of the sim department in OSL at SAS flight academy and i got 1 and half hour free on the 737NG sim But, i have also a friend who built his own popular F-14, http://www.flysimulator.net/ ,and i can use it for free when i want, i sit there when i come usually for 4 hours haha! If you live around Oslo then you should come up to him.

Take care.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:35 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Flying an A330/340 without instruction is really not easy. You'll have to invest some time with Microsoft FS beforehand to know what is what.
Interesting suggestion, definitely, but I also wonder a bit if people would get anything out of it.
I actually bought Microsoft Flight Simulator two years ago for fun, which is supposed to be pretty accurate compared to the real experience, and it took me well over two months before I had made my first fairly decent landing with a widebody plane like A330/A340.
It's really really tricky if you are not familiar with all the switches and buttons and how the plane reacts when you do different things and the importance of keeping the right speed and so on.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Landing is the trickiest... I have FS X demo on my desktop at home and haven't manged to control a CRJ well enough to land it on one of the carribean islands.

I took a few lessons at a local flying club ages ago and pretending to fly a cessna on FS is OK.

Widebodies is a completely different cup of tea.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Interesting suggestion, definitely, but I also wonder a bit if people would get anything out of it.
I wasn't actually expecting people to leave Flight Academy with a pilot's license in their pockets - just thought it'd be a great action-filled DO with a few friends. Something to remember! ^
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
I wasn't actually expecting people to leave Flight Academy with a pilot's license in their pockets - just thought it'd be a great action-filled DO with a few friends. Something to remember! ^
Haha, of course not, I certainly got what you meant.

My point was more that perhaps you should enquire what arrangements can be made to make it a rewarding experience.
Unless you have previous flying experience (as a pilot/co-pilot/cockpit passenger) and/or some experience from flying schools or realistic flight simulators you are most likely not even going to get the plane up in the air without a very good amount of help.
It is really a lot trickier to fly a jet plane than one may think.

Otherwise a Fokker F28 would probably be a lot easier to fly than the super-advanced A330. The F28 is a much smaller aircraft and much more down to the basics of flying.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:03 am

I think somebody got very inspired by a certain seat on a recent trip!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Silver, EB Silver, RR Silver.
when i was on the B737NG after i had FS9 experience (3 years) it was totally different to the real thing, so i think to train in FSX before going on the sims is almost a wasted time.

Take care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.