Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Enhancing status on Eurobonus on booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly Blue BA, Basic SAS, Ivory Flying Blue

In talking recently to a lounge guardian, I was told that the Eurobonus (and I suppose other schemes too!) frequent flyer number put on the booking was not validated against a database. The result, if you are a basic member, you could promote yourself e.g.... EBG 111111111 to get the "SK*G" marker.

Does anyone know if this is true, and if so why bother putting the marker on the boarding card if no-one (as I was being told) can believe your status without checking your card?

And has anyone any experience of doing this (of course, only in error when you've been demoted to a lower level)... and did you get the "higher" benefits?

Definately not condoning any such behaviour, but I was surprised at there being no check on the card id!!!

Stuart
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:42 am

There is definitely a system that checks the account somewhere along the line.
I've entered the wrong level on my GF's account once by mistake and an error came up that the level didn't match the account.
Sure, this was on the SAS homepage, so I don't know whether there are general checks in Amadeus and other GDS's, but I would think/hope so.

However, I do think that generally the level check is done when you enter it into the booking, so if a booking is made when you are EBS and then become EBG, it will say EBS on your BP even though you're EBG (at least this was the case 4 years ago...). Also, another error with status I've encountered is that if you book an EB award for somebody else, their BP often says EBG... I guess it's because the EBG number of the person who made the booking is in the booking to trace the purchasing account. Again, last time I saw it was several years ago, so don't know whether the problem is still there.

I always show my card though when entering lounges. Most often I don't show BP but always card...
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I can confirm that the status is checked in GDSs (at least Amadeus). Entering your number as EBG when you are EBB will come back as unrecognized.

It is funny that you can see the EBG status on an award trip. Award trips are usually booked with the FFP entered in a special way not making the booking systems showing your status.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:32 pm

Im not sure about Sabre, but ResAid (SAS Groups internal booking system) is definately checking at time of reservation too - matching number to surname and status. This makes a lot of sense as the marker on your boarding card is just one way your status is used - others are waitlist priority/guaranteed seat and protection from being bumped.
Lately I have always needed to provide the EBG card and not only the boarding pass to enter SK lounges so maybe this is an issue still?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Try to make a booking on the SAS webpage and enter your EB-number with EBS instead of EBG or EBG instead of EBS and you will definitely get an error message.
So surely they check the status against a database.

I'm sure there are loopholes in the huge IT network that is the Star Alliance (and not to forget SAS ), but I can't imagine it's a major issue.

Regarding award bookings I had the exact opposite problem last time, my status did not show up on my BP even though I made the booking myself on the SAS webpage and used my EBG-card as e-ticket.
I went to the service centre at ARN to have it entered when I noticed it was missing, not that I would earn any points, but I'd still like to get the benefits I'm entitled to and have my status in the reservation.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Regarding award bookings I had the exact opposite problem last time, my status did not show up on my BP even though I made the booking myself on the SAS webpage and used my EBG-card as e-ticket.
I have done several SK award trips and the EB status never appeared on the BPs (not even as EBB or FQTV/SK). You can, however, enter it manually by doing on-line check-in on SK web-page and your status will then appear on the BP when/if you print it at the airport. Of course no EB points will be earned even if you enter you EB No.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Point_Chaser
...so if a booking is made when you are EBS and then become EBG, it will say EBS on your BP even though you're EBG

Also, another error with status I've encountered is that if you book an EB award for somebody else, their BP often says EBG... I guess it's because the EBG number of the person who made the booking is in the booking to trace the purchasing account. Again, last time I saw it was several years ago, so don't know whether the problem is still there.
This is also my expirience. A friend booked a trip on OS (Austrian Airlines) using his EBS No. Afterwards he became EBG. At check-in the OS BPs showed SK*S and he had to ask to have new BPs issued with SK*G. Rather than changing the EB No the agent manually entered "SK*G" in the system/on his BPs. All EB points appeared on his account statement without problems.

Booked a SK award trip for my brother one year ago. My EB No, nevertheless, appeared on the e-ticket receipt but was not printed on the BPs.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:21 am

There are 2 ways for a travel-agency or airline to enter the bonusnumber, either they can insert in manually and the number is then not validated towards the airlines own database. Then it is possible to enter EBB, EBS, EBG or EBP..the system will not make any fuzz about it. But the airport will not be fooled by this so no meaning...my own experience when working on the airport...might only be some problems to earn the points on some flights since the tracking-connection to SK might not work.

The other way is to enter it correctly and then SK will check the number and say no if the EBG is not EBG in SK:s databse. If it is entered correctly the airport and aircrew will see the status on their papers.

Many passengers showed me EBG-cars that were expired, it doesnt matters since the check-in-system knows what is right and the priority-tag popup and seating upfront will not open up if the person is not really an EBG.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I'm closing this thread and have deleted a few posts due because we don't want to give FTers ideas that could lead to exclusion from the Eurobonus program.

Thank you for understanding. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me

Last edited by tommy777; Apr 20, 2007 at 4:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.