Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Vote: Should we make a thread for O/T and sticky it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:13 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

All,

I was thinking about making an O/T sticky for our knitting circle yapping.

We could sticky the Eurobonus Lounge Thread or make a fresh one

What do you think?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
I think the option of making the lounge thread sticky is a good start.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: SK*G
Make a new one!

"The official SK OT thread"!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:36 pm

No need for a new one, just sticky the lounge thread.

Excerpt from post #1 in the lounge thread:
Its intended as a place for the Eurobonus forum community to hang out, chit chat, introduce yourself, to find out what everyone is up to, to ask & answer questions that perhaps don't need a new thread.

Let's keep all OT in the Lounge!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just my little opinion, but I prefer that the OT stuff go into the EB Lounge forum.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I always found that the EB forum benefited from a more liberal view on O/T, having threads go off topic isn't that disturbing I think. But to answer the question; I don't see the need to make the lounge thread sticky, but if one will be made sticky then rather that one than a new thread.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: EBG
I vote for a OT Sticky!
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:09 pm

I must say that I agree with Gnopps here!
OK, sure put the Lounge thread in there as a sticky and let it live on (why start a new one when we've already got one???), but I also think that what has been nice with the SK forum is that it has been very free to wander off somewhat. Sure, it shouldn't be OT in all threads, but I think it has been quite self regulatory and can't really remember any threads that I thought worthy of closing due to OT or otherwise "unpleasant"...

We're quite a tight bunch here and I think we are as it has been relaxed and chatty in its style. I'm just worried if it turns too rigid and all OT directed one place... Tangents are fun and brings in a nice atmosphere... And I don't really think that we scare anybody off from our board, rather that we get many to join thanks to our atmosphere... I say let's keep it that way and be relaxed when it comes to OT also in other threads (of course kept to a reasonable amount).
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:16 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Point_Chaser
I must say that I agree with Gnopps here!
OK, sure put the Lounge thread in there as a sticky and let it live on (why start a new one when we've already got one???), but I also think that what has been nice with the SK forum is that it has been very free to wander off somewhat. Sure, it shouldn't be OT in all threads, but I think it has been quite self regulatory and can't really remember any threads that I thought worthy of closing due to OT or otherwise "unpleasant"...

We're quite a tight bunch here and I think we are as it has been relaxed and chatty in its style. I'm just worried if it turns too rigid and all OT directed one place... Tangents are fun and brings in a nice atmosphere... And I don't really think that we scare anybody off from our board, rather that we get many to join thanks to our atmosphere... I say let's keep it that way and be relaxed when it comes to OT also in other threads (of course kept to a reasonable amount).
Our little forum is quite civilized and there's nothing wrong with going off topic and the forum will stay that way even if we make an OT sticky.

But there are other FTers who comes to our forum for help and with respect to them, we should try and reduce (not eliminate) the OT discussions from these threads.

There are many examples if you look through some old threads.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:40 pm
KRS

My vote (more or less what Gnopps said):
  • No sticky
  • No new thread
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Originally Posted by KRS
My vote (more or less what Gnopps said):
  • No sticky
  • No new thread
I agree.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:42 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tommy777
But there are other FTers who comes to our forum for help and with respect to them...
Someone who is not a regular who comes in here and sees the Eurobonus Forum Lounge thread -- which has 665 messages as of this moment -- might very well not go back to the beginning and read the first message, which introduces and explains the purpose of the thread. In that case, they might think that the topic of the thread is lounges.

The existing thread is a good one for OT ramblings and chit-chat but I suggest that the name be changed to make its purpose clearer. Then, yes, make it a sticky.

cheers,

Henry
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:48 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Given we only have two pages of threads my worry is if we have an exclusive OT only sticky we'll end up with even less threads. Surely 2 pages isn't too much for other forum visitors to have to look at?

My vote is no, but I'm happy with whatever the majority decide.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Given we only have two pages of threads my worry is if we have an exclusive OT only sticky we'll end up with even less threads. Surely 2 pages isn't too much for other forum visitors to have to look at?

My vote is no, but I'm happy with whatever the majority decide.
The number of subpages of threads in the forum depends on your settings for FlyerTalk, and this can be changed at any time.

For quick solution:
See the "Display Options" below the threads.
In the drop-down "From The" you can change how old threads you want to see... I have mine set at "Beginning" to view all threads ever (currently 3875 threads in the SAS forum). You can set it to Last month or whatever...

For a permanent solution:
Go to "MyFlyerTalk".
Click "Edit Options" on the left menu.
Under "Thread Display Options" look under "Default Thread Age Cut Off".
Change the value to what suits you best.

P.S. I still agree though that I don't see the point in having an OT thread sticky when we already have the Lounge thread, and I'm not that annoyed with threads going off tangent every now and then anyway... Just wanted to show that technically, sticky's don't affect the viewing that bad...
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:41 am

Programs: LH SEN
My vote is for the Lounge being made a sticky (so it can be found quickly), maybe with a slightly clearer title (for non-regulars), and also keeping the current liberal and self disciplined approach to OT and tangents.

It's not broke - don't fix it

Aidan

PS Should this conversation be more about what Sitckies we want on the forum? EB FAQ, OT Lounge and Lounge Meet-ups for example. More can be added as required, but with our new Mod (all hail the new Mod!) recently installed, we have a chance to make the place a bit more comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.