Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EB earning at Radisson SAS Hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:40 am
ksu
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G

I do most of my business travel domestically. AFAIK Radisson SAS Hotels, Radisson Edwardians and Park Inns are the only non-flying activities earning basic points in EB. Thus hotel stays are the only way of getting points while remaining in Norway.

My problem is that I have never seen a list of how many points each Radisson SAS hotel actually offers per night; the only way of finding out was actually staying at the hotel. This way I found out that lesund was 300 points per night, Bod and Trondheim 400, Gardermoen (OSL) and Scandinavia (Downtown Oslo) were 500. Rather stingy for the provincial hotels, as all Rica hotels gave 500 points per night, but not really comparable, as Rica stays only give extra points. But the last time I stayed at Gardermoen, I only got 300 points, even though our corporate rate had increased from NOK 890 to NOK 1150. As I'm planning to steer most of my upcoming hotel stays to Radisson SAS hotels up until the end of July (to retain EBG), I'd like to know whether anybody has the link to a chart stating unequivocally how many points Radisson SAS and Park Inns do offer per night.

Failing that: has anybody had stays at any of the following hotels posted to their EB accounts recently, and can post the number of points awarded: Radisson SAS lesund, Radisson SAS Scandinavia or Plaza Oslo, Radisson SAS Royal Garden Trondheim, Radisson SAS Norge Bergen and Park Inn Heathrow?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
I have also wondered about the point earnings as the points chart says "300-500 points per night" for Radisson SAS hotels.

My own conclusion is that it has nothing to do with the hotel, but with the room category you stay in.
When I have been upgraded to a superior room or a business class room or even a suite (courtesy of my EBG card) I have always been given 500 points per night, pretty much irrespective of hotel.
If I have only stayed in a single room or a standard double room it tends to be only 300 points.

Not sure if it makes sense in your case, and not sure how those 400 points are awarded, but that's the conclusion I have drawn and at least my point earnings reflect quite well the rooms I have stayed in.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: SK EBD, TG*G
This information used to be included in the SAS EuroBonus section of the SAS TravelBook until late 2002/early 2003. At some tine in 2003 significant changes were made to the TravelBook, and a lot of interesting information were left out. Please observe that I have not checked whether this information has been reintroduced in newer versions of the TravelBook because I have not bothered picking one up for several years, and I do unfortunately not have an up to date chart or a link. The earning is however based on hotel and not room category.

At Radisson SAS Hotel Norge in Bergen and also at Radisson SAS Royal Garden in Trondheim you get 400 basic points per night while both Radisson SAS Scandinavian and Plaza in Oslo awards you with 500 basic points. This is in accordance with my own experiences and the chart in the old TravelBook.

I have not stayed at the Radisson SAS in lesund, but according to the chart you should get 300 basic points per night. The Park Inn at Heathrow is not mentioned in my chart, but the nearby Radisson Edwardian Hotel Heathrow should award you with 500 points per night.

The Radisson SAS at Gardermoen used to award you with 500 basic points per night, but this was changed to 300 some time ago (it has been 300 at least since fall 2002).

Hotel Norge in Bergen is one of my favourites. Large business class rooms and they are very good at recognizing EBGs. Just mention that you are an EBG when making your reservation and you will hopefully be upgraded.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:14 pm
ksu
Original Poster

I usually stay in standard or "business class" rooms, using either a cheap published rate (~NOK 1000) or the corporate rate of my employer. And my earnings have been in the range mentioned. But it was the change in earning at Gardermoen which surprised me. I certainly have gotten the 500/night for stays in standard rooms there up to September 2005; my first 300/night stay was in October 2006. Have there been any drops in changes at any other Radisson SAS hotels?

Obviously: the Gardermoen property can get away by offering less per stay than other hotels in the chain to get loyalty; they basically have no competition, as all the other airport hotels are a bus og taxi drive away. The Oslo downtown properties certainly have competition!
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:36 pm

I actually have an old SAS Travel book at home, one from 2001, one of the last proper ones they printed.
I really miss those books, they really contain everything you may want to know, far more than is available on the SAS webpage nowadays.

Anyway, for Radisson SAS points it says:
"You earn 500, 400, or 300 basic points per night when you stay at any of these hotels depending on the category of the hotels."
"Hotels marked with * =500 points, **=400 points, ***=300 points", and then there is a list of the Radisson SAS hotels that existed in 2001 with the relevant number of stars.

Not sure if there is any point posting all these hotels and the points they give as the travel book is six years old.
However I can, if there is any interest here (a sticky?), but that would be another day...

For KSU though:
Ålesund gives 300 points, Scandinavia/Oslo 500 points, Plaza/Oslo 500 points, Trondheim 400 points, Bergen (both hotels) 400 points.
Park Inn did not seem to exist (at least not as EB partner) in 2001.

Last edited by jacob_m; Apr 6, 2007 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:45 pm
ksu
Original Poster

The earnings quoted by jacob_m are those I've had myself while staying at the hotels mentioned, after 2001. But the most pertinent question for me is whether any other of the hotels (besides Gardermoen) have changed (lowered) the earning during the last year or so. As for the Park Inns I found the information on the www.flysas.com site, which is much more informative than www.sasbraathens.no. It appears that the Park Inns (as expected really) do give 300 points per night. As for the Radisson SAS hotels it only states 300-500 points per night, which is unsatisfactorily vague.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Dealing with Radisson in the miles and points games is definitely not a straightforward matter. Same hotels, different outcomes way too many times. I really see no rhyme or reason to it.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:46 pm
ksu
Original Poster

To update my own thread:

Radisson SAS Aalesund (AES) still gives 300 EB points on a refundable webrate (NOK 760) booked over www.radissonsas.no
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
RADSAS Royal, Helsinki on ratestogo.com

Booked and paid Radisson SAS Royal in Helsinki on www.ratestogo.com. Got a much better rate than on RADSAS web-page. However, do I get EB points?

There was no option to enter FFP No, so I consider calling RADSAS and ask them to add my EBG No in the booking and ask for Gold-upgrade. Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:01 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Booked and paid Radisson SAS Royal in Helsinki on www.ratestogo.com. Got a much better rate than on RADSAS web-page. However, do I get EB points?
I (or actually we - together with the wife) once stayed at the Radisson SAS Plaza Hotel in Helsinki on a cheap weekend rate (~80 EUR) booked off the radissonsas.com website.

On checkin the guy refused to enter my EB number to the reservation claiming that "this extra cheap rate is not eligible for points". No amount of suggestion would change his mind. The next day at checkout we were served by a nice girl who gladly entered my number and even made some comments along the lines of "of course I will enter this - after all this will persuade you to stay more with us!".

I got the points (400 or 500 I think) just fine, which was good since I was running for a special promo back then (stay 3 times and get an extra 4000 points or something similar).

Moral of the story: be persistent, try different agents. Just like with airline callcenters.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:22 am

However, do I get EB points?
You should earn points on most rates, except for possibly heavily discounted promotional rates and naturally award stays.
There was no option to enter FFP No, so I consider calling RADSAS and ask them to add my EBG No in the booking and ask for Gold-upgrade. Any other suggestions?
Has it ever been possible to enter the FFP number when booking a stay at Radisson SAS? On their own homepage you can only enter Goldpoints plus numbers.
Just give the card at check-in and your points should be credited.
If you really want them to know your EB-number and status in advance you can always call the Radisson reservation desk and ask them to enter the information in the booking.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: SK*Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Has it ever been possible to enter the FFP number when booking a stay at Radisson SAS? On their own homepage you can only enter Goldpoints plus numbers.
Just give the card at check-in and your points should be credited.
If you really want them to know your EB-number and status in advance you can always call the Radisson reservation desk and ask them to enter the information in the booking.
I always enter the information in the 'special requests' box at the bottom of the booking page. Something like 'EuroBonusGold123456789,pls upgrade to business class room' So far the upgrade request has almost always worked ^
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by radu
'EuroBonusGold123456789,pls upgrade to business class room' So far the upgrade request has almost always worked ^
That's nice of them, however in the sas info they only promise to upgrade you to another room in the same room category if there are better rooms available, whatever that means.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by radu
I always enter the information in the 'special requests' box at the bottom of the booking page. Something like 'EuroBonusGold123456789,pls upgrade to business class room' So far the upgrade request has almost always worked ^
I do the same, well not my EB-number but my status. I normally write "SAS Eurobonus Gold" in the requests field and it works quite well when it comes to upgrades.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:43 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
The RadissonSAS Park Hotel Oslo awarded me with 800 points for two nights so 400 points/night. I would not exactly recommend this hotel, unless you want to stay by a beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.