Wiki Posts
Search

FlyMe bankrupt!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
FlyMe bankrupt!

Slightly OT, but the Swedish LCC FlyMe has gone bankrupt and will cease operations with immediate effect today Friday March 2nd.

FlyMe has been one of the main competitors to SAS on the domestic market operating ARN-GOT for example.

http://www.e24.se/dynamiskt/sverige/did_14736446.asp

It will be interesting to see how SAS react to this now when one of their main Swedish competitors is gone on the highly attractive ARN-GOT and ARN-MMX routes.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:22 am

I say its always sad to see competition go away, even if they stopped flying ARN-HEL route some time ago after Finnair, Sas and most importantly Blue1 lowered prices enough. Now prices have started to rise again. No surprise, but bad news for leisure travellers.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:29 am
AHO

I have recievs this e-mail from Sterling today.

Originally Posted by Sterling
Kra Sterling kund,

Idag meddelades att vra svenska konkurrenter FlyMe har stllt in alla sina flygningar.

Vi vet att det finns mnga resenrer som redan har bokade biljetter med FlyMe. Om du r en av dem, vill jag informera dig om att du kan anvnda din gamla FlyMe bokning och drmed erhlla en rabatterad biljett p internationella flygningar med Sterling.

Har du en bokad inrikesbiljett med FlyMe, flyger Sterling dig gratis.

I det fall du redan befinner dig p din destination och r i behov av en hemresa, flyger Sterling dig gratis, frutsatt att vi flyger denna rutt och att det finns plats ombord p flyget.

Vi kommer att gra vrt bsta fr att hlla dig uppdaterad med detaljer och information p sterling.dk/flyme

Vnliga hlsningar,
I must say it's good gesture from Sterling, instead of promoting "1 SEK to all destination(tax excluded)" thing.

For myself, I have no FlyMe ticket. But this is of course good marketing indeed.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:17 am

Programs: heaps...
thats called buying customer goodwill, and its something SK stopped doing quite some time ago..

endelig fredag!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:35 am

Brilliant proof of GREAT marketing initiative and great and quick responsiveness. I think it's the latter that SAS actually miss somewhat. The flexibility and responsiveness is somewhat lacking!
The cost is MINIMAL! Just let FlyMe customers use the empty seats on all flights this weekend! Virtually no cost (except taxes which are very low anyway) but soooo much goodwill!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 5:07 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
It is nothing but a Sterling marketing gimmick. Of course they are going to get some loyalty from a few customers.
On the other hand, SK are saying: All right, if you wanna fly with dubious LCC, you know the risk... (and we are not gonna help you). That sells tickets for SK!
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
I say it´s always sad to see competition go away, even if they stopped flying ARN-HEL route some time ago after Finnair, Sas and most importantly Blue1 lowered prices enough. Now prices have started to rise again. No surprise, but bad news for leisure travellers.
I agree it's sad. Even though I never flew with FlyMe and have (had) little interest in the company I still think it's sad when a company goes bust.
220 employees will be unemployed and many passengers will have to buy new tickets, 2500 passengers were scheduled to fly with FlyMe today so it's not too hard to figure out that the number of stranded passengers is large.

Fortunately the vast majority of the bookings were made over the internet so those passengers should be able to claim the money back from the credit card companies.

Originally Posted by AHO
I must say it's good gesture from Sterling, instead of promoting "1 SEK to all destination(tax excluded)" thing.

For myself, I have no FlyMe ticket. But this is of course good marketing indeed.
SJ (the Swedish Railways) have done the same. They accept FlyMe passengers onboard the trains as long as the passengers can show a valid same-day FlyMe ticket + ID.
This is of course subject to availability and as we all know Friday is a busy day when it comes to travels.
SJ also see it as a way to promote taking the train instead of a plane. Good move! They probably also take the opportunity to mention taking the train is a more environmental-friendly option.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:53 am

Programs: EBG, BA Executive Gold
Originally Posted by jefi99
It is nothing but a Sterling marketing gimmick. Of course they are going to get some loyalty from a few customers.
On the other hand, SK are saying: All right, if you wanna fly with dubious LCC, you know the risk... (and we are not gonna help you). That sells tickets for SK!
Of course this is a deliberate PR-investment by Sterling as they now, due to that FlyMe gone bust, are going in earlier than originally planned on the Swedish domestic market.

SK, on the other hand don't need to do anything as a big part of FlyMe's domestic pax automatically will "spill over" to SK anyhow.
My experiences historically is that SK don't take any extra good-will costs if they are not "forced" to do so. In this case it's quite clear, from strictly business-point-of view, they didn't need to...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by berra0619
Of course this is a deliberate PR-investment by Sterling as they now, due to that FlyMe gone bust, are going in earlier than originally planned on the Swedish domestic market.

SK, on the other hand don't need to do anything as a big part of FlyMe's domestic pax automatically will "spill over" to SK anyhow.
My experiences historically is that SK don't take any extra good-will costs if they are not "forced" to do so. In this case it's quite clear, from strictly business-point-of view, they didn't need to...
I guess you're absolutely right, and now with hindsight, I think that it was a deliberate move by SAS not to do anything official in this situation.
When Goodjet went bust, SAS offered special prices to Goodjet ticket holders. From the threads here on FT I can't see what the prices were, but here is the post. (Where are you by the way kempis?! Still working at SAS?)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=goodjet

Also interesting to see how predicting we can be here on FT! Just see this thread when FlyMe started...
(Have to admit though that they survived a year longer than I thought they would...)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84181
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84228
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Icelandic and Ager-Hansen Minkey business?

In the Norwegian paper Dn today (paper edition) Per G. Braathen (former Braathens owner/ current Malm Aviation owner) is interviewed. Haven't read the article myself, but he claims the end of FlyMe is a well planned plot between the not so honest Norwegian business man Ager-Hansen and the Icelandic owners of Sterling. Hope the article comes online soon...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:31 am
Original Poster

There have been several articles in Swedish media claiming that the bankruptcy of FlyMe was "arranged".
One of the main questions is how Sterling could launch several new domestic routes on such a short notice, FlyMe went bust last Friday and Sterling started up the routes already this week (I think it was even this Monday, which would mean after just three days).
Many experts say it is just not possible for an airline to start up a few routes, co-ordinate staff and the use aircrafts plus all the administrative work of course within only three days, it does not make any sense, and I have to agree.

Here is a very interesting article to read:
http://www.e24.se/dynamiskt/tjanstef...d_14743175.asp

As it looks now this really stinks!!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by jacob_m
There have been several articles in Swedish media claiming that the bankruptcy of FlyMe was "arranged".
One of the main questions is how Sterling could launch several new domestic routes on such a short notice, FlyMe went bust last Friday and Sterling started up the routes already this week (I think it was even this Monday, which would mean after just three days).
Many experts say it is just not possible for an airline to start up a few routes, co-ordinate staff and the use aircrafts plus all the administrative work of course within only three days, it does not make any sense, and I have to agree.
It didn't even take 3 days... They started at least ARN-MMX the SAME day... They had 3-4 flights on the Friday already! That's what I call quick change of plan(e)s. I don't doubt that Sterling predicted that FlyMe would go bust very soon out of normal information from the company (as did most of the financial world all last week), but they might have gotten some extra help on the way it feels like, and that's simply not OK!

Very interesting to see how all this unfolds over the coming weeks!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Point_Chaser
Very interesting to see how all this unfolds over the coming weeks!
Indeed!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Point_Chaser
It didn't even take 3 days... They started at least ARN-MMX the SAME day... They had 3-4 flights on the Friday already!
I overlooked the boarding of the new Sterling afternoon departure GOT-ARN on tuesday (B737). Maximum of 10 pax.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
I overlooked the boarding of the new Sterling afternoon departure GOT-ARN on tuesday (B737). Maximum of 10 pax.
Maybe it was a bit premature by Sterling after all... It was almost that they didn't wait for FlyMe to go bankrupt...

Let's see what happens...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.