Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by copperred
I know many of you aren't native English speakers but you ought to more circumspect about using a word like ghetto. You'll also get laughs and laughs from people who have seen real ghettos.
I’m a native-born US citizen whose primary language from birth has been English and whose schooling has been almost entirely in the US before I was an adult and mostly in the US or English-majority institutions thereafter. I know plenty of urban ghettos in the US. While American ghettos are very different than ghettos in Sweden, there are definitely ghettos in Sweden, with Malmo having some ghetto areas of its own.

I find the word ghetto to be applicable, no less so in the connotative sense of the word than in most any other sense of the word.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I’m a native-born US citizen whose primary language from birth has been English and whose schooling has been almost entirely in the US before I was an adult and mostly in the US or English-majority institutions thereafter. I know plenty of urban ghettos in the US. While American ghettos are very different than ghettos in Sweden, there are definitely ghettos in Sweden, with Malmo having some ghetto areas of its own.

I find the word ghetto to be applicable, no less so in the connotative sense of the word than in most any other sense of the word.
Even with an allowance for comparative use the experience is rather different. The French banlieues are far more proximate a comparison, but still the "no go" terminology is not just weasel wording but patently false. It's not a "no go" just because some white woman feels "uncomfortable"; let the US not export the nonsense that is BBQ Becky. The real history of the "ghetto" is the moment when racist whites in the South couldn't walk through black neighborhoods without knowing that the people who lived there no longer believed themselves inferior.

If you weren't already aware the word is no longer considered appropriate as an adjective and is not generally accepted as a noun.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:51 pm
Suspended

I hear banlieu in French, and I think mainly poor/cheap suburbs. The minorities-majority areas in Malmo that have disproportionately higher poverty-related problems and higher crime rates tend to not be suburbs. And my bet is that I know the poor areas in and around Paris and Malmo pretty well.

Some may say it’s “the hood” when they really mean it’s “the ghetto”. And that’s from people who grew up in such areas and don’t use words which they wouldn’t want others to direct at them or anyone.

Let’s just say I know that the background of passengers boarding the SAS flights out of CPH or MMX is a world of difference from the passengers boarding the green Skanetrafiken buses in Lindangen in Malmo. It’s not a world of difference from people whose kids and elderly relatives take the yellow Skanetrafiken buses from Vellinge.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 9, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
They haven't. Not even Herrgĺrden is a no go zone. You should check how they classify the areas.

If you remove the hyberbole there could be a serious discussion about crime and what the police are doing.

However, right now I'd rather spend the night in Malmö than in a certain Chinese port city I'm sure you're familiar with. In fact that's what I'll do tomorrow. If you don't hear from me...
You will probably find the "Chinese port city" more quiet than the media indicates. I walked through Central and Admiralty on some of the media hyped weekends, and found nothing but a few candles and posters. I am quite sure a lot is happening in the city, but it is far more localised and brief than the media describes. I saw far more activities and people back in the pro democracy protest in 2014, where I walked around the blocked streets. It will depend highly on where you go and when. Not too difficult to avoid the protests, and I have no qualms about my upcoming trips there.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
They haven't. Not even Herrgĺrden is a no go zone. You should check how they classify the areas.

If you remove the hyberbole there could be a serious discussion about crime and what the police are doing.

However, right now I'd rather spend the night in Malmö than in a certain Chinese port city I'm sure you're familiar with. In fact that's what I'll do tomorrow. If you don't hear from me...
It was mentioned in the media back in 2014: https://www.svd.se/55-no-go-zoner-i-sverige That's where I heard the term from.

It's called something else according to the local:https://www.thelocal.se/20190603/swe...-trends-police

In Rosengĺrd, UPS tried not to deliver parcels in the area but I know they changed their minds due to complaints.
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a...-paketleverans

I'm sure the Chinese port city is not that dangerous, none of the people I know there have been injured/arrested/killed/mugged/robbed/raped/bombed etc.. However there's no guarantee if you start to beat people up on the street, use a laser pointer to aim at the police, then yes you'll probably not be safe there.

However my kids told me that their classmates who live in Malmö (their school is in Malmö), told them that they have heard gun shooting, also the older kids in the school had conducted survey about safety of Malmö.

There was an incident happened right outside a school which is located in a nice area in Malmö:

04 februari 16.18, Rĺn, Malmö

Rĺn av bil, Limhamn.

Polispatrull skickas till Linnégatan i Limhamn där ett rĺn inträffat. En kvinna uppger att en för henne okänd gärningsman under hot tvingat henne att köra sin bil frĺn Själlandstorget i Malmö, till Linnégatan i Limhamn. Pĺ Linnégatan har gärningsmannen visat upp ett pistolliknande föremĺl och en kniv, och därigenom tvingat till sig bilen. Polis möter upp kvinnan, och en anmälan om grovt rĺn samt olaga tvĺng upprättas. Det finns ingen gripen eller misstänkt. Kvinnan ska inte ha fĺtt nĺgra fysiska skador i samband med händelsen.
Just went to svt to check on news and this popped up:

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/sk...ng-i-rosengard

I do follow Swedish news on SVT and I don't know much about Stockholm and Göteborg or even Helsingborg (slightly too far away for me) but there are some places of Malmö that I certainly don't want to be in.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:32 am

[Apologies for hijacking]

Is anyone here watching Below the Surface? I’ve only recently started (killing time during my almost permanent hotel stays ) and find the series absolutely brilliant (shame I don’t speak Danish but thank goodness BBC 4 shows the subtitles)

G
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:35 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
[Apologies for hijacking]

Is anyone here watching Below the Surface? I’ve only recently started (killing time during my almost permanent hotel stays ) and find the series absolutely brilliant (shame I don’t speak Danish but thank goodness BBC 4 shows the subtitles)

G

I have not, but thanks for the tipp, it sounds promising and I will check it out!
As for Scandinavian TV series in general I've found there to be quite some gems sometimes. I really liked the first season of Lifjord, a norwegian series. Really nicely done out of a film making and story telling perspective.
It's a very welcome change to the usual Hollywood stuff.

As for the metro aspect, there are a few russian films that play in the moscow metro, I can't recall the name right now, but I always found the metro with its tunnels and labyrinths and general intruiging system and ambience very fascinating. It's similar to what I thought of airports and aviation when I was a kid: Everything was so big and fascinating and one didn't quite grasp the complete system and everything. It's just the awe of the huge and unknown I guess.
You're probably not into videogames that much, but there is a game called metro which plays in a post nuclear apocalyptic world and specifically in the moscow metro and it captures that feeling perfectly.

Another series you might enjoy is Flashpoint. Man, I really miss that series.
AlicorporateUK and nacho like this.

Last edited by Nick Art; Aug 11, 2019 at 1:28 pm
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I have not, but thanks for the tipp, it sounds promising and I will check it out!
As for Scandinavian TV series in general I've found there to be quite some gems sometimes. I really liked the first season of Lifjord, a norwegian series. Really nicely done out of a film making and story telling perspective.
It's a very welcome change to the usual Hollywood stuff.

As for the metro aspect, there are a few russian films that play in the moscow metro, I can't recall the name right now, but I always found the metro with its tunnels and labyrinths and general intruiging system and ambience very fascinating. It's similar to what I thought of airports and aviation when I was a kid: Everything was so big and fascinating and one didn't quite grasp the complete system and everything.
You're probably not into videogames that much, but there is a game called metro which plays in a post nuclear apocalyptic world and specifically in the moscow metro and it captures that feeling perfectly.

Another series you might enjoy is Flashpoint. Man, I really miss that series.
All very interesting, thank you

One of my colleagues at our London HQ is massively into video-games and never fails to bring the topic up during our routine lunch-break’s walks whenever I’m in the UK; I shall needless to say ask him about Metro next time I see him Going back to TV, I’m in the middle of yet another hotel stay (nearly sick of it...) and being ‘entertained’ by one of Liam Neeson’s films (that’s the only English language’s movie I was able to find so no jokes please ).

G
Nick Art likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Is there any tool that can show me a Carlson Wagonlit reservation (I want to see booking classes)? I don't have access to the CWT tool. They send me so called "offers" before ticketing, but the booking class is only shown after ticketing. Neither SK nor LO load the PNR, so I suspect this is not Amadeus (or it is Amadeus, but these sites do not display things from travel agents that are not ticketed). The PNR is 6-letters mixed digits and letters. I don't have much hopes, but people have shown before to know wonders.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by SK2751
Is there any tool that can show me a Carlson Wagonlit reservation (I want to see booking classes)? I don't have access to the CWT tool. They send me so called "offers" before ticketing, but the booking class is only shown after ticketing. Neither SK nor LO load the PNR, so I suspect this is not Amadeus (or it is Amadeus, but these sites do not display things from travel agents that are not ticketed). The PNR is 6-letters mixed digits and letters. I don't have much hopes, but people have shown before to know wonders.
It might be because the airlines have no flights on the PNR and therefore won't allow you to view the booking
All of the tickets I get from CWT have two 6 letter PNR's. One which only works in CWT and one which works on SK. Lately I've had a number of flights on Swiss. Here the CWT PNR works when adding the booking to my swiss.com profile. The other PNR I haven't gotten to work anywhere except when one of the legs is a SK codeshare flight.

But try www.checkmytrip.com. I haven't used it for a while, but it used to be able to show most airlines bookings except when the airline has restricted them.
To add a trip once you have logged on you just need to click on the + in the top right corner on the box in the middle. Then you can type in the PNR. The e-mail function I've never managed to get to work.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If CWT is using Sabre, you might try tripcase. Some OTAs use Sabre so checkmytrip doesn't work and the site guided me to tripcase/travelport.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
But try www.checkmytrip.com. I haven't used it for a while, but it used to be able to show most airlines bookings except when the airline has restricted them.
To add a trip once you have logged on you just need to click on the + in the top right corner on the box in the middle. Then you can type in the PNR. The e-mail function I've never managed to get to work.
Completely forgot about this, but does not work either (checked now). Funny enough, when poking around I discovered that the email with offer has an attachment - a PDF file which has more info, including the booking classes (facepalm...)
highupinthesky likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Nobody commented on luggage handling wildcat strikes in CPH Thursday and Friday. As the case seems to be about an employee's right to be member of another union than the main union, this might flare up again a few times.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/sas-...tager-arbejdet

In Danish only, but Chrome is your friend to fix that...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Comfort Hotel CPH Airport is scheduled to open in August 2020 and seems to be getting there.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Comfort Hotel CPH Airport is scheduled to open in August 2020 and seems to be getting there.
I do wonder why they go for mediocre hotels in the airport rather than something decent. Admittedly most people are just staying very short term, and probably it will be the base of many airline crews due to proximity, but with the reflagging of Hilton to Clarion, CPH does really make a decent hotel.
AStarr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.