Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

What happened to the car rental discounts and status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)

All the group codes used to be printed on the back of the plastic EB card and on the back of the co-branded credit cards. I no longer have the former, and the latter has no codes on it. Are all these offers gone?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hertz still has a micro page: https://www.hertz.com/p/partners/sas-eurobonus

The CDPs used to be on the site, but are no longer there. I always used 855500
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: SK*G, Hilton HHonors Silver, IHG Platinum, Scandic 3rd Floor
If you log into your Eurobonus account you will find the car rental agency discount codes when you scroll to the bottom of the profile page.
studentCPH likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Super helpful. I was worried they dropped the ball on this. (Have not rented a car since the pandemic, but used to benefit a lot from this in the past)
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by SK2751
Thanks! Super helpful. I was worried they dropped the ball on this. (Have not rented a car since the pandemic, but used to benefit a lot from this in the past)
Also, it is usually cheaper to book at avis.com using that awd, but you only get 500 points.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Indeed! I always booked at avis and hertz directly. I don't do it for the points (I could not care less about the so called extra points). I do it for better rates and better cars, here the AWD helped.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK2751
Indeed! I always booked at avis and hertz directly. I don't do it for the points (I could not care less about the so called extra points). I do it for better rates and better cars, here the AWD helped.
Forget about Avis if you want any way to pick your car. Tried that post pandemic with both Hertz and Avis - Avis gave me the car that I booked except at IAH (I even booked an intermediate to be eligible to any upgrade) while there were thousands of cars in the lot (LAX, ATL and IAD) - the cars I got was with minimal equipment with the cheapest interior and bluetooth only for music. I rented once in a location near YYZ and it was an ordeal to get a car and turned out it was defect. Then I had to spend like 3 hours at YYZ because they had no cars (there were more than 10 X1 and Q3), and finally one showed up after a super long wait. 3h of my holiday wasted. At IAH I got a Mustang (booked intermediate) - I guess they knew they couldn't sell it otherwise but then there was no space for our stuff so we asked for another car. Ended up getting a Lincoln something that has a dent that is a golf ball size (not that I care).

I booked the cheapest category at Hertz and I was allowed to pick (SEA 2x).
SK2751 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Here to add a few observations from LHR. Maybe I've been using the wrong CPD code, but weekend rentals from Hertz have come up cheaper for me when logged in on sas.se than Hertz.com. Possibly swayed by introductory rates on Polestar and Tesla EV rentals. But been happy with 2,000 points + a good price on a Polestar several times now.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:08 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
There is now an offer with Hertz where you even get status points

EARN EUROBONUS EXTRA POINTS AND STATUS POINTS WITH HERTZ

Get even more EuroBonus points when you rent with Hertz. Earn Extra points, plus an additional 50% of the Extra points value in Status points on your rentals exclusively with Hertz. Book now for up to 10,000 Extra points, plus up to 5,000 Status points.

You can use your Extra points toward a trip with SAS while earning Status points to improve your EuroBonus level.

Whether you're traveling for business or leisure, the offer applies to any rental car, including electric vehicles.

Book by 6 May 2024. The offer is valid for rentals until 30 June 2024. Terms apply.
  • Rent 1 day: Earn 1,500 Extra points + 750 Status points
  • Rent 2 - 5 days: Earn 3,000 points + 1,500 Status points
  • Rent 6 - 10 days: Earn 5,000 points + 2,500 Status points
  • Rent 10 - 14 days: Earn 8,000 points + 4,000 Status points
  • Rent 15 - 21 days: Earn 10,000 points + 5,000 Status points
https://www.flysas.com/en/book/carrental/?ptid=125.13

And the T&C for completeness

• You must be a EuroBonus member and log in to participate from this offer.
  • Offer available for bookings created 23/04/2024 and 06/05/2024 and pick up between 23/04/2024 and 30/06/2024.
  • The offer is only valid for bookings made via the SAS website.
  • SAS EuroBonus Extra points and Status points are credited based on the above given scheme on this page depending on your rental length for rentals with Hertz in Italy, Spain, UK, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Benelux, USA, Canada.
  • Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, discount or promotion.
  • Hertz reserves the right to change or remove this promotion at any time.
  • Please log in with your EuroBonus credentials before starting your booking so your EuroBonus member number gets recognised in your booking to earn points and show your EuroBonus card at time of pick up.
  • All rentals are subject to Hertz standard terms and conditions.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:23 am

Well, ever since Hertz added that retarded clause to the contract that they ALWAYS charge an administrative fee (I think $250) for any damage claim, they went on the „do not rent there“ list. You can only get insurance to waive the excess but you will always have to pay the admin fee.

And in some countries like Germany, they inspect the cars with a laser
microscope for scratches or dents. And more often than not, find some „not pre-existing damage“ which you didn’t complain about during picking up the car in the pitch black garage….

in general car rental in Germany sucks like hell due to this practice (btw Sixt and Hertz are the worst).

never had issues with Hertz in the US though, but still prefer Avis and Europecar.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by Jainzar
There is now an offer with Hertz where you even get status points

https://www.flysas.com/en/book/carrental/?ptid=125.13

And the T&C for completeness
Thanks for sharing. Just cancelled and rebooked an 8-day Tesla rental from MSP for more or less the same price with more points. Checked another short rental from LHR but it came out a lot more... so not worth rebooking. But worth checking and rebooking under the offer if you have rentals coming up.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
Well, ever since Hertz added that retarded clause to the contract that they ALWAYS charge an administrative fee (I think $250) for any damage claim, they went on the „do not rent there“ list. You can only get insurance to waive the excess but you will always have to pay the admin fee.

And in some countries like Germany, they inspect the cars with a laser
microscope for scratches or dents. And more often than not, find some „not pre-existing damage“ which you didn’t complain about during picking up the car in the pitch black garage….

in general car rental in Germany sucks like hell due to this practice (btw Sixt and Hertz are the worst).

never had issues with Hertz in the US though, but still prefer Avis and Europecar.
You haven't rented in Japan I had to check under the car and the roof for scratches! I saw people warned people about that because some rental companies did look under and on the roof. Somehow Japanese car rental don't accept wear and tear. You even need to call the police and made a report even if you did a minor damage as otherwise you will be paying a lot more. Also, in Japan they charge 50000 JPY for Non Operational Charge even though the damage is so minor that they can easily fix it in an hour and rent the car to someone else.

I think the damage claim for Hertz is used when you have a CC claim which doesn't apply to whoever that bought or have their full insurance.

I found Avis pretty bad in car selection, both times in the US I couldn't pick another car but Hertz let me do so.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
You haven't rented in Japan I had to check under the car and the roof for scratches! I saw people warned people about that because some rental companies did look under and on the roof. Somehow Japanese car rental don't accept wear and tear. You even need to call the police and made a report even if you did a minor damage as otherwise you will be paying a lot more. Also, in Japan they charge 50000 JPY for Non Operational Charge even though the damage is so minor that they can easily fix it in an hour and rent the car to someone else.
All true, but they have a second "0-deductible" coverage that waives these "administrative charges" (that's on top of the first SuperCDW to waive the actual excess). So about $40-50 a day extra, and you owe nothing again (until they come up with another administrative^2 charge, of course)
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho

I think the damage claim for Hertz is used when you have a CC claim which doesn't apply to whoever that bought or have their full insurance.

I found Avis pretty bad in car selection, both times in the US I couldn't pick another car but Hertz let me do so.
Who do you rent with in Japan? C. Heat U. Rental Car K.K.?

I always use Orix, and they are super easy to deal with. They usually make a very thorough inspection of the car when you get it, and it takes about 30 seconds for them to inspect the car on return. I never had any issues, nor actually ever dented the car. I'd probably say my most pleasant car rental experiences are in Japan.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Who do you rent with in Japan? C. Heat U. Rental Car K.K.?

I always use Orix, and they are super easy to deal with. They usually make a very thorough inspection of the car when you get it, and it takes about 30 seconds for them to inspect the car on return. I never had any issues, nor actually ever dented the car. I'd probably say my most pleasant car rental experiences are in Japan.
I watched videos and forums about car rentals in Japan - once got "hit" by a scratch under the bumper and one got "hit" by a scratch mark on the roof (Asians are not that tall). Since I'm trying to prevent hiccups I inspect the car like a forensic doctor, I have no idea whether or where they check when I return the car so I'd better be safe than sorry.

The budget lady shuttle driver was the most crazy driver I have ever seen: she was literally off her wheels and flipping papers with both hands while driving! I can kind of understand if it's her own car but driving for someone that's just too much.

I used Worldnet car in Sapporo in 2019 and they did a very thorough inspection both upon pick up and return and Budget at NRT Jan 2020 (they inspected it very thoroughly even though I had a damage reported already and paid a total of 50000 Yen for NOC which I could claim it back).

Then last year I used Toyota (that was one of the most expensive car rental I have ever tried 23000 Yen for 48 hours) in Sapporo - I did the precautionary drill and told them to mark everything and when I returned it they didn't even check... Then in Naha I rented one and once again told them whatever I could see, they didn't check much when I returned either.

Orix is so expensive compared to others (they were even more expensive than Toyota). I need a rental during Christmas at NRT and the problem is that all car rentals are closed at 6pm and my flight arrives at 7:30pm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.