Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

What happened to the car rental discounts and status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the car rental discounts and status?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Worldnet Car is a used car seller turned to rental car business mainly in Hokkaido. Used cars salesmen....

Orix is surpringly weak in Hokkaido, but for your 50K fee I could cover 2 of my rentals Orix in Okinawa easily.

The rental car counters in the Narita Airport terminals, at least Toyota, Nissan, and Orix, close at 8pm. But even if one of you run through and the others wait for the luggage, it would probably still be almost impossible, unless the flight is early.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Worldnet Car is a used car seller turned to rental car business mainly in Hokkaido. Used cars salesmen....

Orix is surpringly weak in Hokkaido, but for your 50K fee I could cover 2 of my rentals Orix in Okinawa easily.

The rental car counters in the Narita Airport terminals, at least Toyota, Nissan, and Orix, close at 8pm. But even if one of you run through and the others wait for the luggage, it would probably still be almost impossible, unless the flight is early.
I paid 50k yen to Budget Narita due to a scratch on the side mirror. I couldn't have bought the zero excess package but since my insurance covers it why pay extra?

Even though I was paying them they still check the car very thoroughly.

Worldnet car was cheap - 5 days for 20k yen and last summer I couldn't even pay that for 2 days.

There's one car rental with 24h delivery to NRT so I might try that.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:13 am

I think there should be some International norm on these things. there is one thing I just hate: Being ripped off by unreasonable rules.

A car rental agency makes decent money with hiring our their vehicles. They should just suck up normal wear and tear, including minor scratches. Like they do in the US or in CH. Return the car and unless there is some major visible damage which did indicate some accident, just take the car back and be done with it.

Renting cars has become the second most hated things in travel for me. Even being covered by excess waivers or insurance, just the whole pain of dealing with it sucks so much.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
I think there should be some International norm on these things. there is one thing I just hate: Being ripped off by unreasonable rules.

A car rental agency makes decent money with hiring our their vehicles. They should just suck up normal wear and tear, including minor scratches. Like they do in the US or in CH. Return the car and unless there is some major visible damage which did indicate some accident, just take the car back and be done with it.

Renting cars has become the second most hated things in travel for me. Even being covered by excess waivers or insurance, just the whole pain of dealing with it sucks so much.
I totally agree, without a car in Japan the experience is not the same. So despite all this crap I'd still rent a car when I'm there. There is an option to buy totally LDW but it's like 2500 JPY per day - as long as I have insurance covering that I'd skip that. It is very trouble when you have an accident with a rental car in Japan, regardless of the extent you have to make a police report. If you don't have it your insurance will void. After that scratch, I had to find the closest civilization to find a police station, and they need to take all my info and bla bla bla (it's funny to hear them trying to type my passport info into Kana) to write out a police report to hand it back to the car rental company.

The procedure is similar in Taiwan, very thorough checking and the same procedure in case of an accident.

In the US as long as you have LDW they don't seem to care. Hertz at LAX literally told me that I can return it with full of damages if I want to

Last time I rented with Avis at IAD and I had an accident at a parking lot and the bumper was dent. I filled in the form and ready to hand that in to the attendant, they said no need. That was in January and I haven't heard from them since. In Hertz we got a stone chip on the windscreen and we told them and they saw it and didn't even bother writing a report.

In Malaysia I rented through a car sharing service that I pay a deposit with my card and settle with cash when I pick up the car. Mr.'s first reaction was, "does it mean that you can drive the car away just like that?" I have rented with them 3 times and have zero issues whatsoever. They drove the car to the terminal, and I return it at departure hall at KLIA - much easier than having to drive to the rental place and then unload the bags, drag them onto a train/shuttle and then struggle to the airport.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by SK2751
Indeed! I always booked at avis and hertz directly. I don't do it for the points (I could not care less about the so called extra points). I do it for better rates and better cars, here the AWD helped.
If you're just using the codes for the discounts, there are others that are better than SAS. For Avis I often use the BA code and for Hertz the Strawberry code is quite good. Probably because both BA and Strawberry each only have one exclusive car rental partner they getter better deals, while SAS have several partners and as a result get average discounts from all.
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK2751
Indeed! I always booked at avis and hertz directly. I don't do it for the points (I could not care less about the so called extra points). I do it for better rates and better cars, here the AWD helped.
The funny thing is that if you book through Avis SAS portal it always costs more (at least for me) than using AWD from SK. Basically going through the portal is a way to "buy" points. Also, if you book directly with Avis you can even attach coupons (for rental in the US).
Old May 2, 2024, 2:57 pm

Programs: *G
My "favorite" park about the SAS booking portal was that it asked me to log in, for an improved experience. After signing in, the Hertz prices increased. (Same car, terms etc). They dropped back down as soon as I signed out, so you are most definetely paying for the points some times...
Old May 2, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by studentCPH
My "favorite" park about the SAS booking portal was that it asked me to log in, for an improved experience. After signing in, the Hertz prices increased. (Same car, terms etc). They dropped back down as soon as I signed out, so you are most definetely paying for the points some times...
Hertz receipts in the USA are decent enough to include the airline loyalty program fee in the breakdown of additional costs.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Hertz receipts in the USA are decent enough to include the airline loyalty program fee in the breakdown of additional costs.
It's great that the receipt shows it - but there is no way of telling during the booking process on the SAS website, that you are paying extra. And the improved experience is quite misleading.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:40 am

The Hertz loyalty program fee mostly applies to North American airlines, IIRC, there's a list of which airlines it applies to. When I've claimed EB points via Hertz I've never been charged any additional fee for that. Mind you, I always book at hertz.com since they have better rates than on the SAS website anyway - it's not worth the higher rental cost at the SAS website to get a few extra points.

Also, remember that when booking at the Hertz website you can combine any AWD with any loyalty program. I use different AWDs depending on the location and different loyalty program depending on the length of that rental. E.g. for short rentals SAS EB accrual is good but there's a cap, while for longer rentals e.g. IHG is better since IHG gives 125 per day without maximum limit.
nacho and SK2751 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.