Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Conscious Traveler Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2023, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Jainzar
There are too many junk projects in the carbon compensation market. So this approach doesn‘t work well enough anymore.
Plenty of idiots still buying the zero emission=save the planet approach.

Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
You don't need status if you don't intend to use EBG. But that doesn't diminish the fact that you can get that status without flying.

Now if someone wanrs to go for EBD and have less environmental impact, securing EBG via cc membership and spend reduces the amount of time one needs to be in the air. And if people are travelling just to get EBD (I don't, but no judgment if people do), then I am happy for the fact that there is an opportubity to meet a sizeable amount of that requirement on the ground.
I know and what I'm saying is that SAS is offering various ways to buy points, I guess once they have done this they will be enhancing their redemption table too.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 6:55 am

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Conscious Traveler launched, but not enough "steps"?

I got a mail about the previously discussed Conscious Traveler program launch. I had a look and aside from a luggage tag, there is a potential benefit in the form of 5000 Basis points for doing all 10 steps. It should be noted that one of the other steps is donating minimum 5000 points to charity.. so it would be kind of a wash to get that 'step',

However there is a giant cavaet: to get the status, you must complete 10 steps... the tricky part is that there are only 5 steps available! It looks to me like the only way would be to do the donation one 6 times, donating 30K points. Very strange program if this is the only way to do it?

On the other hand, maybe you get a step for each time you book a biosmart ticket?? the wording doesnt indicate this however.

I actaully think biofuel is a good thing and far less empty than pretend carbon credits.. but this program is very weird and unless I am misunderstanding it, I doubt more than a few dozen people will actually do it. Hope they didnt buy too many luggage tags!

I also think I should get a step for choosing not to fly a fuel wasting regional jet

Last edited by DeninDK; Jan 23, 2024 at 7:25 am
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Ok now i found in the small print at the bottom:
  • Du optjener et skridt for hver flyvning (strækning), du flyver på en Go Smart Bio- eller Plus Pro Bio-billet. Hvis du f.eks. flyver fra Oslo til Paris via København på en Bio-billet, optjener du to skridt. Sørg for at registrere dit EuroBonus-nummer i bookingen for at optjene dine skridt.
  • Tilføj biobrændstof som tillægstjeneste: Du har mulighed for at føje biobrændstof til din rejse (i blokke på 20 minutter), når du booker din flyrejse eller bagefter under “Administrer min booking”. Alle EuroBonus-medlemmer, der er registreret i bookingen på afgangstidspunktet, optjener et skridt, uanset hvor mange blokke af biobrændstof, der blev føjet til bookingen.

So yes, you can get more 'steps' this way..
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Apart from watching the video, you can take any of the steps multiple times. So every time you eg. fly on a biofuel ticket you should get a step. Add a bit of extra biofuel to each of those and you get two steps for each flight.

I wonder if it counts adding bio fuel to a booking, and then adding a bit more layer. Since I am trying to speed up my qualification, and have 3 biofuel tickets coming so maybe add 10 euros if biofuel to each, then I am at 7 steps. Then test an addition a second time to see if it works
Old Jan 23, 2024, 8:23 am

I read it as 5 more will come.

I do find it pretty sad that in order to become more conscious they encourage you to buy something from the EB store. Even if it is "green", encouraging purchasing isn't particularly green. I really do not like the green products, eg; energy saving cassette which removes methane from fruits to make last longer (I bet half will end up in people's trash"), portable solar panal that can charge smart phones 2(!)-5 times when fully charged. It contains lithium batteries (good luck trying to recycle that product as an individual). Most of these are landfill products which most won't need (ie a power bank can solve the portable solar panel and can be returned to an electronic goods store), and whilst food waste is an issue, I don't think this solves it.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:16 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by DeninDK
I got a mail about the previously discussed Conscious Traveler program launch. I had a look and aside from a luggage tag, there is a potential benefit in the form of 5000 Basis points for doing all 10 steps. It should be noted that one of the other steps is donating minimum 5000 points to charity.. so it would be kind of a wash to get that 'step',

However there is a giant cavaet: to get the status, you must complete 10 steps... the tricky part is that there are only 5 steps available! It looks to me like the only way would be to do the donation one 6 times, donating 30K points. Very strange program if this is the only way to do it?

On the other hand, maybe you get a step for each time you book a biosmart ticket?? the wording doesnt indicate this however.

I actaully think biofuel is a good thing and far less empty than pretend carbon credits.. but this program is very weird and unless I am misunderstanding it, I doubt more than a few dozen people will actually do it. Hope they didnt buy too many luggage tags!

I also think I should get a step for choosing not to fly a fuel wasting regional jet
You dont need to execute on all those 5 steps. You can execute multiple times on one of them, if you want. E.g. go to the Eurobonus Shop and buy 10 "conscious" products. You get your 10 points and 5000 basic miles. No need to fly bio fuel, etc.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Since I am trying to expedite my requalification for my year starting in March, I kind of looked at the 5000 points from this as a cheap boost. I was wondering if I could be sneaky and add 10 euros of SAF to bookings multiple times, but as you only (seemingly) get the step once you actually fly that seems to be only one step per ticket. But breaking a European booking in to two tickets for a return probably can make it two steps instead of one.

(apologies for my attempts at miserly ways of building 45K basic points, but I need to go a bit out of my way to get them nailed down in a month or two. All the while doing my normal work travel on Oneworld)
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:12 am

Programs: SAS EB, Kenya Asante, Qatar PC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Since I am trying to expedite my requalification for my year starting in March, I kind of looked at the 5000 points from this as a cheap boost. I was wondering if I could be sneaky and add 10 euros of SAF to bookings multiple times, but as you only (seemingly) get the step once you actually fly that seems to be only one step per ticket. But breaking a European booking in to two tickets for a return probably can make it two steps instead of one.

(apologies for my attempts at miserly ways of building 45K basic points, but I need to go a bit out of my way to get them nailed down in a month or two. All the while doing my normal work travel on Oneworld)
Arent the 5000 points counted as extra points and not basic points?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kris724
Arent the 5000 points counted as extra points and not basic points?
I should think not....

Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:50 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

I unfortunately forgot to add a second bit of bio-fuel to a recent journey, but I am planning to try out to see how these steps post.

I wonder if it is only awarded once per PNR, or if outbound and return count separately?

Unfortunately, the steps do not seem to post per segment.

What I did find out is that adding biofuel just before flying the return does qualify for getting a step.

The cheapest way to get all the steps would be to order the drying balls from the SAS web-shop for 9 euros each. I'm not sure what I'd do with all the drying balls, perhaps some Christmas presents for family? I would also find this to be quite the opposite of conscious...
But it remains an option.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:52 am

Programs: SAS EB, Kenya Asante, Qatar PC
I should think not....

wow.. you are right
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I unfortunately forgot to add a second bit of bio-fuel to a recent journey, but I am planning to try out to see how these steps post.

I wonder if it is only awarded once per PNR, or if outbound and return count separately?

Unfortunately, the steps do not seem to post per segment.

What I did find out is that adding biofuel just before flying the return does qualify for getting a step.

The cheapest way to get all the steps would be to order the drying balls from the SAS web-shop for 9 euros each. I'm not sure what I'd do with all the drying balls, perhaps some Christmas presents for family? I would also find this to be quite the opposite of conscious...
But it remains an option.
Not sure the shipping to Japan would make it the cheapest option.... But maybe I can send gifts to friends in Denmark?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
SAS is still fairly generous with the Biofuel tickets and EB points. ARN-CPH-BRU-OSL-AMS on a Pro Bio ticket nets 12000 EB basic points.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
SAS is still fairly generous with the Biofuel tickets and EB points. ARN-CPH-BRU-OSL-AMS on a Pro Bio ticket nets 12000 EB basic points.

Is that a routing or did it involve multiple bookings?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Single booking, it seems the points earned are relative to the ticket price. You can just pull it up on the SAS site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.