Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Conscious Traveler Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, Star Alliance Gold, ITA Airways Premium Club, Marriott Platinum
SAS Conscious Traveler Program

In short, take more "green choices" and receive unknown benefits. Any rumors or thoughts on the new program starting next year?

From website
We’re not asking you to develop, build and fly new and sustainable aircraft. That, and a lot of other fundamental changes, is on us and our partners. What you can do to help though, is to show your support for our journey to net zero emissions and beyond by taking conscious steps toward sustainability.

These conscious steps can come in many forms, and our ambition is to provide you with a clear path to sustainable choices at home, in the air and at your destination. Apart from our gratitude and a well-earned pat on your own back, completing ten steps will result in a variety of rewards. This is what our Conscious Traveler initiative is all about – helping you to help us reduce our footprint.You can call yourself a conscious traveler whenever you want to. But for us to acknowledge you as one, you need to complete at least 10 actions among the ones below. Our ambition is to provide you with a wide variety of steps covering every aspect of your journeys with us and beyond – so keep an eye on this space for more steps in the future.

More information: https://www.flysas.com/us-en/eurobon...ious-traveler/
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
The bottom of the email also squeezes in another (IMHO important) piece of information. Starting this Friday, the flights of EB members are no longer CO2 compensated.
the810 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 10:41 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Does this mean I will finally be rewarded for peeing before boarding?
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
New ways for SAS to grab extra cash... The real green people like Greta won't fly.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:56 pm

Some more greenwashing...
SAS will probably copy the LHG with their green fares(20% more status miles) in one way or another.
nacho and appenzeller like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Netherlines
Some more greenwashing...
SAS will probably copy the LHG with their green fares(20% more status miles) in one way or another.
Or, more to the point, AFKL's practice of giving (depending on how much SAF you buy) more elite credit for the SAF than for the flight (e.g. fly US east coast to Europe in J with a connection in Europe: 90 XP roundtrip; buy $1500ish in SAF to "fully offset": 150 XP (I believe the same offer is made even in Y, so that's 5x the elite credit... the offers also show up on award tickets)).

Buy 3000 euro of SAF a year from AFKL and you're eventually Platinum.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
Or, more to the point, AFKL's practice of giving (depending on how much SAF you buy) more elite credit for the SAF than for the flight (e.g. fly US east coast to Europe in J with a connection in Europe: 90 XP roundtrip; buy $1500ish in SAF to "fully offset": 150 XP (I believe the same offer is made even in Y, so that's 5x the elite credit... the offers also show up on award tickets)).

But why not quote the fares in C and Y with SAF included?
I added some SAF on tickets but even then i don't like to be called a conscious traveler..
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:46 pm

Doesn’t SAS already offer biofuel tickets for extra points. Believe I booked that for my partner as he needed the miles.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Netherlines
But why not quote the fares in C and Y with SAF included?
I added some SAF on tickets but even then i don't like to be called a conscious traveler..
Employer buys ticket without SAF... employee wants extra elite credit, so buys the add-on (or redeems miles, which also gets elite credit, though not at that favorable of a rate relative to cash). I'd bet that's the motivation (award tickets would be similar). With the add-on, I understand there are companies which are keen to claim carbon neutrality so would let the SAF add-on be expensed also.

My point overall was more about the magnitude of elite credit offered: it's generally more than doubling the credit for the flight and is priced similarly to what one would spend on a mileage run.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:04 pm

Employer buys ticket without SAF... employee wants extra elite credit, so buys the add-on (or redeems miles, which also gets elite credit, though not at that favorable of a rate relative to cash). I'd bet that's the motivation (award tickets would be similar). With the add-on, I understand there are companies which are keen to claim carbon neutrality so would let the SAF add-on be expensed also.

My point overall was more about the magnitude of elite credit offered: it's generally more than doubling the credit for the flight and is priced similarly to what one would spend on a mileage run.
I don't like the fact that adding SAF is optional.
If SAS claims to be environmentally conscious SAF should be included in the fares.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador

This is actually something I really like. Effectively it's a way to replace a mileage run with simply playing the money without having to actually fly those extra segments. Good for the customer, and good for environment.
hhdl, SK2751 and Beltway2A like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Doesn’t SAS already offer biofuel tickets for extra points. Believe I booked that for my partner as he needed the miles.
They do offer bio flights, and they have been for quite a while. They even have a campaign running until 31.12 with another 450 points added. Bio flights have been offered for most of 2023.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Nov 29, 2023 at 4:58 pm
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Personally I prefer unconscious travellers. Much more peaceful experience for me as a passenger.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by the810
This is actually something I really like. Effectively it's a way to replace a mileage run with simply playing the money without having to actually fly those extra segments. Good for the customer, and good for environment.
I did use the bio tickets for my 2023 re-qualification. London gave 700 points extra, plus EBG bonus on that, plus 450 points for the bio ticket campaign. Basically the basic point of a SAS Go return Copenhagen London for about 30 euros. Quite the MR deal.
hhdl and SK2751 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Exactly my point, $ grabbing or you can say selling miles at a lower cost. No matter what the $ still goes into SAS's pocket.

As other pointed out this is another corp doing greenwashing. I guess one of the other things to get a reward might be to forego your inflight meal and drink - more chance for them to sell you stuff onboard.

I think doing it 5x a year might up your status by one tier...maybe it's worthwhile for some.
Netherlines likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.