Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Conscious Traveler Program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:23 am

The CRJ900 is one of the most polluting aircraft types.If SAS were really serious about the climate then they must remove it from the fleet as quickly as possible..

Claims that customers are environmental conscious if SAF is purchased is a dangerous path to take and simply not true.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Netherlines
Some more greenwashing...
SAS will probably copy the LHG with their green fares(20% more status miles) in one way or another.
They already do this. They have "biofuel fares" that gives you additional base points. It was a nice low-key way to get status a bit faster. Not sure EB is worth anything in 2024, but that's a separate discussion 🙃
SK2751 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:48 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
This feels like something SK shouldn't be spending time or money on right now with the countless gaps all over the place.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
This feels like something SK shouldn't be spending time or money on right now with the countless gaps all over the place.
It is indeed not the most obvious focus area for them right now. But it is probably considered trendy these days, so there we are....
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
They already do this. They have "biofuel fares" that gives you additional base points. It was a nice low-key way to get status a bit faster. Not sure EB is worth anything in 2024, but that's a separate discussion 🙃
I'm fully aware that SAS already has the bio fares but
no one with Gold or Diamond Status is environmental conscious that's my point.
It's totally wrong to make these claims.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
I'm fully aware that SAS already has the bio fares but
no one with Gold or Diamond Status is environmental conscious that's my point.
It's totally wrong to make these claims.
How do you come to that conclusion that no one with EBG and EBD is environmentally conscious? 🤔
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:04 am

See Nacho's post earlier in this thread.People like that Swedish woman don't fly at all.
I wouldn't call flying 90 segments a year environmental friendly,how on earth can i call myself a conscious traveler even with lots of added SAF when i've flown about 100 roundtrips this year..
I don't believe in rhe fairytales of in this case SK' s marketeers..
nacho likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
How do you come to that conclusion that no one with EBG and EBD is environmentally conscious? 🤔
See Nacho's post earlier in this thread.People like that Swedish woman don't fly at all.
I wouldn't call flying 90 segments a year environmental friendly,how on earth can i call myself a conscious traveler even with lots of added SAF when i've flown about 100 roundtrips this year..
Some of my Swedish classmates have already stopped flying - they only travel to places that can be reached by train. My kids' schools (private international school and public high school) in Denmark has a policy of sustainable school trips. Their class trips have been Berlin and Prague - I know another high school kids went to Barcelona by bus. I found it absolutely stupid - spending 2 days each way to drive to Prague. You can't beat flying when you want to get to places quick.

My son sent me a picture of the black exhaust from the ferry he was on - ferries are really bad in CO2 emission too.

CO2 emission is not the only thing that is killing our planet earth but it is the easiest to advertise.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
See the other thread, achieving Diamond status with SK can be done in as little as 6-8 flights. People who are truly environmentally conscious shouldn't be traveling at all, changing the method of physical movement hardly makes any material impact.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
See the other thread, achieving Diamond status with SK can be done in as little as 6-8 flights. People who are truly environmentally conscious shouldn't be traveling at all, changing the method of physical movement hardly makes any material impact.
Exactly, those who are truly environmentally conscious don't care about SK status.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:28 am

I get your poin (and I even agree that SAS is trying to turn sustainably into a profit center whilst being a bit dishonest about their intentions).

That aside, I guess I still find it a stretch to say that all EBG and EBD status holders don't care about the environment. You can get EBG without ever stepping foot on a plane. EBD is a different matter, but even there I think nuance is required. I know people who would föy to the opening of a door handle in another country. I also know people who travel only once a year to visit relatives. I don't think of the latter as environmentally unconscious.

For me.personally, now that SAS is ending the carbon offset, I will restart my own donations to carbon-neutral initiatives.

But I know this topic is fraught. Flying brings aboit the same kind of discussion that eating meet or pineapple on pizza does. I'll find new ways to offset my CO2 footprint without involving SAS
Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Many opinions are way too black-and-white for me in this thread. Being environmentally conscious is not a binary property. There are many positions between Greta and the EBD member that does 90 segments without a slightest qualm. There are folks who need to travel, there are people who love to travel -- who still think how to make this travel less harmful. I do not think it is stupid on SK's behalf to bite into this market segment, instead of loosing this people to non-travel. I also think it is nice for the company to try to innovate a bit with how this increased responsibility for travel could look. Someone is going to invent this, and I doubt that the three ME or US airlines will.

I am just unhappy that this looks very much like greenwashing, not a serious action. And it does seem like it is not going to cost them at all. It looks like a bit more gamification FPP-style around the sale of SAF, which they are already selling, plus perhaps repurposing the small EB CO2 compensation budget into the operating budget of this program. It does not look serious at all.

I for once like to be called conscious, and I also like conscious pax around me. The unconscious once tend to be too annoying just before they become unconscious
the810 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get your poin (and I even agree that SAS is trying to turn sustainably into a profit center whilst being a bit dishonest about their intentions).

That aside, I guess I still find it a stretch to say that all EBG and EBD status holders don't care about the environment. You can get EBG without ever stepping foot on a plane. EBD is a different matter, but even there I think nuance is required. I know people who would föy to the opening of a door handle in another country. I also know people who travel only once a year to visit relatives. I don't think of the latter as environmentally unconscious.

For me.personally, now that SAS is ending the carbon offset, I will restart my own donations to carbon-neutral initiatives.

But I know this topic is fraught. Flying brings aboit the same kind of discussion that eating meet or pineapple on pizza does. I'll find new ways to offset my CO2 footprint without involving SAS
Why do you need status if you fly infrequently or not flying at all? It's like people in the Marriott forum talking about their lounges are flooded by UA elites just because they get their status matched. These people need to stay in a Marriott hotels that have a lounge to enjoy the benefits - good for Marriott.

Originally Posted by SK2751
Many opinions are way too black-and-white for me in this thread. Being environmentally conscious is not a binary property. There are many positions between Greta and the EBD member that does 90 segments without a slightest qualm. There are folks who need to travel, there are people who love to travel -- who still think how to make this travel less harmful. I do not think it is stupid on SK's behalf to bite into this market segment, instead of loosing this people to non-travel. I also think it is nice for the company to try to innovate a bit with how this increased responsibility for travel could look. Someone is going to invent this, and I doubt that the three ME or US airlines will.

I am just unhappy that this looks very much like greenwashing, not a serious action. And it does seem like it is not going to cost them at all. It looks like a bit more gamification FPP-style around the sale of SAF, which they are already selling, plus perhaps repurposing the small EB CO2 compensation budget into the operating budget of this program. It does not look serious at all.

I for once like to be called conscious, and I also like conscious pax around me. The unconscious once tend to be too annoying just before they become unconscious
It is a half-hearted action, if someone is truly care about the planet, they would try to do everything to help. From trying to encourage people to use mobile boarding passes to reducing paper use inside the whole corporation. They can also give discount on people who bring their own mug/cup if they want to buy something onboard. Or letting people skip meal services to get some extra points to reduce food waste - somehow a lot of people think as long as you can compose them it's fine. It uses CO2 to produce food too!
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by SK2751
The bottom of the email also squeezes in another (IMHO important) piece of information. Starting this Friday, the flights of EB members are no longer CO2 compensated.
There are too many junk projects in the carbon compensation market. So this approach doesn‘t work well enough anymore.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Why do you need status if you fly infrequently or not flying at all? It's like people in the Marriott forum talking about their lounges are flooded by UA elites just because they get their status matched. These people need to stay in a Marriott hotels that have a lounge to enjoy the benefits - good for Marriott.
You don't need status if you don't intend to use EBG. But that doesn't diminish the fact that you can get that status without flying.

Now if someone wanrs to go for EBD and have less environmental impact, securing EBG via cc membership and spend reduces the amount of time one needs to be in the air. And if people are travelling just to get EBD (I don't, but no judgment if people do), then I am happy for the fact that there is an opportubity to meet a sizeable amount of that requirement on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.