Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EuroBonus to merge into FlyingBlue? [Unconfirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EuroBonus to merge into FlyingBlue? [Unconfirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various
EDIT: I see this was already explained.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Matin
Lifetime Platinum is an incentive, only if EB’s LTG progress transferred to FB. If I lose 5 years of LTG progress and get a FB status with zero lifetime counter, then I wouldn’t bother really!
AFKL is not buying SK only to immediately lose half of the Nordic market by unfavorable FFP changes. I'd assume that lifetime years will transfer over to FB.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by the810
AFKL is not buying SK only to immediately lose half of the Nordic market by unfavorable FFP changes. I'd assume that lifetime years will transfer over to FB.
I wouldn't be so sure that lifetime itself is transferred since it's Flying Blue Platinum vs Eurobonus Gold. I do think some kind of gesture is likely though.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 1:50 pm

It’s a million dollar question that will be answered in two years time when AFKL takes over completely, whether they want to keep SAS as an independent profitable airline which ofc would have EuroBonus or they would rip SAS apart for its facilities and equipments for their own operational benefit to be ultimately just a footprint/small logo under Airfrance&KLM logos!
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:22 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
The most underated FB benefit is the silver one to get free luggage even on light Y fares which to my knowledge *A does not do.

The platinum service line is also often underated, and a truly first class service.

Plat is also the only way you can get La Premičre tickets without using cash, an experience most say is three times better than LH first, and a lot more inaccessible.

So it's not all doom and gloom on the ST side, each programme has some perks and some downsides.
Agree. I’m pretty happy with my Platinum due the hotline, extra bagage policy, lounge access at outstations and in CDG 2F, free seat selection and fairly transparent XPs earning policy.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 11:37 pm

FB will also need to consider the competiton, when Lufthansa and the other Star alliance players turn on the heat they will need to respond. Lufthansa Group has great coverage into Scandi capitals and major cities and with a a strong status match incentive to lure frequent flyers Flying Blue cannot afford to just let it slide and see what happens if the ship springs leak. So I am not all that worried about EB folding into FB as I think FB will want to ensure they retain the most valuable asset, the profitable customers.
the810 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'm not sure if LH will have much to offer to SAS customers beyond the status match. Sure, they have good coverage of major Scandinavian airports, but they do absolutely nothing for intra-Scandinavian travel, which is where (I presume) a large chunk of Eurobonus elites comes from. Also, the new Miles & More requires you to do 33 intra-EU segments just to reach FTL (vs. 48 for EB Gold and 36 from FB Silver to FB Gold), so SEN will be completely out of reach for anyone who used to qualify for EB Gold on segments.

Interesting times are coming, that's for sure.
the810 and Tomas E like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by gojko88
Sure, they have good coverage of major Scandinavian airports, but they do absolutely nothing for intra-Scandinavian travel, which is where (I presume) a large chunk of Eurobonus elites comes from.
EuroWings has a base at ARN with flights to 16 airports in Spain, Germany, UK, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, France, Czech Republic, and Austria. They could easily add a few planes and add routes to OSL, CPH, GOT, HEL etc.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by RedChili
EuroWings has a base at ARN with flights to 16 airports in Spain, Germany, UK, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, France, Czech Republic, and Austria. They could easily add a few planes and add routes to OSL, CPH, GOT, HEL etc.
But Eurowings doesn't give *G benefits except to M&M members, thus it makes zero sense to have any kind of loyalty towards it unless you can achieve at least SEN, which if you fly European economy requires more than double the number of segments compared to EBD (let alone EBG).
Old Nov 11, 2023, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
But Eurowings doesn't give *G benefits except to M&M members, thus it makes zero sense to have any kind of loyalty towards it unless you can achieve at least SEN, which if you fly European economy requires more than double the number of segments compared to EBD (let alone EBG).
I think UA G gets G benefit travelling with EW.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I think UA G gets G benefit travelling with EW.
Some of them, true. But then I imagine that not many Scandinavians use UA as their programme.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Some of them, true. But then I imagine that not many Scandinavians use UA as their programme.
Exactly, I don't have UA G. I think LH deliberately wants EW out of *G so they don't have to give people freebies. I avoid them like a plague.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Exactly, I don't have UA G. I think LH deliberately wants EW out of *G so they don't have to give people freebies. I avoid them like a plague.
The context of my comment was the possibility that Lufthansa may choose to offer status match to SAS gold card holders, and Gojko88's comment that Lufthansa doesn't have much to offer for intra-Scandinavian travelers that have been status matched.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
What is the duration of the current agreements (capacity purchase?) with XFly and CityJet? If they’re up for renewal LH could easily acquire an established Nordic feeder network.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
The context of my comment was the possibility that Lufthansa may choose to offer status match to SAS gold card holders, and Gojko88's comment that Lufthansa doesn't have much to offer for intra-Scandinavian travelers that have been status matched.
The problem is that this would only work for one year, until those passengers inevitably drop to FTL or worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.