Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Infant with Wrong Surname on Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold

I’ve cashed out some Eurobonus points for a Star Alliance award ticket from Europe to Japan for my wife, myself and our toddler (as a lap infant). When I booked over the phone, I specified that he has my surname, but the agent said they only needed the first name anyway. Sure enough, the ticket shows him with my wife’s surname.

When I called SAS about it, thinking this would be an easy thing to fix, they said my options were (1) to cancel and reissue all our tickets, hoping that the award seats get released again, or (2) add a second infant “attached” to me and explain to the ground staff why we’re only travelling with one. There is apparently no way to remove an infant from a booking or change their name.

I don’t want to do 1 as it was hard enough to find these seats once. I definitely don’t want to do 2 as that seems far more likely to cause all kinds of trouble than the surname alone.

I’m 95% sure we’ll be fine and nobody will care, but could do with some reassurance or advice for the remaining 5%.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 1:45 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Option two.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Could you explain why? To me, it feels like any antagonistic check-in/gate agent would be able to find just as much of a problem with the non-existent second infant as they would with the obvious surname mix-up. And wouldn’t we struggle to book seats next to each other in long-haul C as we’d need two seats with a total of four oxygen masks?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Call back and insist they made the mistake. When I (in a moment of autopilot) accidentally put my wife’s first name as surname and last name vice versa on a CX booking, all it took was a helpful agent, a scan of her passport and voila - all done. They can do it easily, question is just whether you find someone competent enough to do so..
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by waffle
Could you explain why? To me, it feels like any antagonistic check-in/gate agent would be able to find just as much of a problem with the non-existent second infant as they would with the obvious surname mix-up. And wouldn’t we struggle to book seats next to each other in long-haul C as we’d need two seats with a total of four oxygen masks?
You can play the HUACA game with SK but typically the straight forward pragmatic approach that does not involve humans on the SK end is more likely to lead to the results you want.

For the second question, my guess is not but are you on one or two bookings? Are you having any issues selecting seats with the one infant added? Its a valid point and planes have a layout for this in coach but I'm not sure how infant oxygen masks work in J.

Option 3 is to show up at the airport early and find a kind female agent at the C desk. Your treatment will be vastly different when you find a person that understands you're in C and the female agents are more forgiving when it involves children.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Call back and insist they made the mistake. When I (in a moment of autopilot) accidentally put my wife’s first name as surname and last name vice versa on a CX booking, all it took was a helpful agent, a scan of her passport and voila - all done. They can do it easily, question is just whether you find someone competent enough to do so..
I think I might try my luck with the Gold email address first, they’ve been surprisingly competent before. Though I gather from this thread over on the BA forum that it may not be as straightforward for infants.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
For the second question, my guess is not but are you on one or two bookings? Are you having any issues selecting seats with the one infant added? Its a valid point and planes have a layout for this in coach but I'm not sure how infant oxygen masks work in J.
We’re on the same booking, no issues selecting seats so far. (We’ve even managed to snag 1A/C on the LH 747-400, purely because they’re convenient with a small child of course.) Nearly all seats are available to us, so there must be at least three masks for each pair of seats.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Option 3 is to show up at the airport early and find a kind female agent at the C desk. Your treatment will be vastly different when you find a person that understands you're in C and the female agents are more forgiving when it involves children.
Our outbound is on the 06:10 LH BGO–FRA, so we won’t exactly be spoilt for choice when it comes to check-in agents. That said, we can probably use the online check-in and self-service bag drop and not have anyone look at our passports until FRA, though that may be riskier than being upfront.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 1:45 pm

LH 747-400… that is your problem…

If it would be a ticket on SK metal they could fix it in a minute. But to correct the name on the issued ticket on LH metal… different story.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
But to correct the name on the issued ticket on LH metal… different story.
Oh yeah, there are four airlines in this booking, none of which are SK, so I can see why it’s not easy. (It’s not even that I’m trying to avoid SK, but I don’t think they’ve released a single award seat to TYO since they’ve reopened the route.) I’m keeping an eye out for a more convenient itinerary anyway, in which case I’d probably cancel and rebook.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 1:34 am

Ok, wasn't aware of the LH part as that vastly complicates things. Assumed you were on SK983. Either way, it brings me back to recommending option 2.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lufthansa won't make a fuss, the ID is not verified for infants. The agent must have added the infant to the mother during the booking process so it shows with the last name of that passenger. No worries at all.

In Amadeus the first name of the infant shows in the reservation. The last name of the pax it is associated to if pulled, but not mission critical

Code:
 CREATE NAME ELEMENT EN 21APR22 0714Z

PASSENGER WITH INFANT
---------------------
THERE IS A SPECIAL PASSENGER TYPE CODE (INF) FOR INFANTS
TRAVELING WITH AN ADULT PASSENGER. THIS TYPE CODE IS
EXCEPTIONAL AS IT IS ENTERED WITH THE ACCOMPANYING ADULT
PASSENGER.THE DATE OF BIRTH (DOB) OF INF/CHD MUST ALWAYS BE
INCLUDED.

ENTER FOR EXAMPLE:

NM1LEAVEY/PATRICK(INF/MICHAEL/01JUN21)

NM TRANSACTION CODE
1 NUMBER OF PASSENGERS WITH THIS SURNAME, WHO
ARE OCCUPYING SEATS
LEAVEY/PATRICK PASSENGER SURNAME, SLASH, GIVEN NAME
( OPEN BRACKET, DELIMITER FOR THE PTC
INF CODE FOR INFANT PTC
/ SLASH, DELIMITER, MANDATORY IF THE NAME OR
DOB IS INCLUDED 
MICHAEL INFANT'S GIVEN NAME (OPTIONAL)
/01JUN21 SLASH, INFANT'S AGE AT TIME OF TRAVEL, DATE
) OF BIRTH OBLIGATORY, CLOSE BRACKET

SYSTEM RESPONSE:
1.LEAVEY/PATRICK(INFT/MICHAEL/01JUN21)
2 OK 654 Y 18SEP 2 PRGSTN HK1 N1 0730 0830 319 EOS
SEE RTSVC
3 SSR INFT OK NN1 LEAVEY/MICHAEL 01JUN21/S2

IF THE INFANT'S SURNAME DIFFERS FROM THE NAME OF THE ADULT,
ENTER THE SURNAME IMMEDIATELY AFTER INF, FOR EXAMPLE:

NM1BROWN/ANNE(INFBIGG/HANNAH/10JUN21)

NOTE: IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO ENTER THE INFANT'S SURNAME WITHOUT
A GIVEN NAME.

LH or SK could theoretically change the SSR INFT element, but I wouldn't bother.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Lufthansa won't make a fuss, the ID is not verified for infants. The agent must have added the infant to the mother during the booking process so it shows with the last name of that passenger. No worries at all.

In Amadeus the first name of the infant shows in the reservation. The last name of the pax it is associated to if pulled, but not mission critical
Fascinating, thanks for sharing from what I assume is from the Amadeus manual? Based on your reply, this BA thread, and what the agent said to me about only needing a first name for infants, that seems to be exactly what’s going on.

More out of curiosity than anything, do you know if the boarding pass and passenger manifest will have the surname of the adult to whom the infant is attached or no surname at all?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It’s been a while, but the boarding pass usually has adult last name / infant on it with no details of the infant name. Same for the manifest.
waffle likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

SAS have replied to my email and confirmed that there’s a risk that we won’t be able to travel. They’re unable to change the name on a Star Alliance ticket as that may lead to it getting auto-cancelled. They instead offered to add a second infant under my name. Apparently, they can cancel the initial infant ticket so we’d still only have three tickets but four names on the booking.

I’m not sure what to make of this. It’s probably the solution that’s the least likely to lead to problems once we have our boarding passes in hand, but I have a suspicion that the airlines’ IT systems won’t handle it at all gracefully. As our trip isn’t until March, I’ll sleep on it for a bit longer and keep an eye out for a more convenient routing that would let us cancel and rebook the entire thing.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:31 pm

Again, I would not get too concerned. The boarding pass will just have the mothers name and 'infant' written on it. Since LH & SAS use the same systems there will be no issues.
waffle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.